1.    #1  
    Hello everyone -

I'm currently a Nextel subscriber and will soon be jumping ship to verizon due to a major drop in service/coverage area since Nextel's merge with Sprint. I'm a big fan of the "smartphone" idea - I love the idea of having 1 device that can do many things. I've had Palms in the past and really liked the interface/capabilities and a Nextel Blackberry which I liked but couldn't get past the lack of 3rd party applications and the stupid track wheel user interface.

That being said, I have a couple questions:
    1) Do I have to use my office's Exchange server for email or can I just set up pop accounts for my gmail and godaddy addresses? Can I send email from 2 different accounts? In other words, can I send from my gmail account AND godaddy account or do I have to pick one "outgoing" email account?
    2) For the 700w, I notice it interfaces quite a bit with Microsoft Network. Is this mandatory? Can I hide/delete the icons if I don't use/never will use MS Network?
    3) With Verizon's bundle (voice/data) it's about $109 and I get a 19% discount from my office. Is this a good deal? Do text messages (SMS) count or cost extra?
    4) While surfing the internet - how are the speeds on the 700w? Pretty decent, terribly slow?
    5) How do pages look? On the blackberry, it sucked because the horizontal scrolling functions were nonexistant.
    6) Do you recommend the Treo with Windows or should I hold out for the 700p or go with the 650?

If anyone can answer any or all of these questions, it would be greatly appreciated.

Andy
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Rogers
    Hello everyone -

I'm currently a Nextel subscriber and will soon be jumping ship to verizon due to a major drop in service/coverage area since Nextel's merge with Sprint. I'm a big fan of the "smartphone" idea - I love the idea of having 1 device that can do many things. I've had Palms in the past and really liked the interface/capabilities and a Nextel Blackberry which I liked but couldn't get past the lack of 3rd party applications and the stupid track wheel user interface.

That being said, I have a couple questions:
    1) Do I have to use my office's Exchange server for email or can I just set up pop accounts for my gmail and godaddy addresses? Can I send email from 2 different accounts? In other words, can I send from my gmail account AND godaddy account or do I have to pick one "outgoing" email account?
    2) For the 700w, I notice it interfaces quite a bit with Microsoft Network. Is this mandatory? Can I hide/delete the icons if I don't use/never will use MS Network?
    3) With Verizon's bundle (voice/data) it's about $109 and I get a 19% discount from my office. Is this a good deal? Do text messages (SMS) count or cost extra?
    4) While surfing the internet - how are the speeds on the 700w? Pretty decent, terribly slow?
    5) How do pages look? On the blackberry, it sucked because the horizontal scrolling functions were nonexistant.
    6) Do you recommend the Treo with Windows or should I hold out for the 700p or go with the 650?

If anyone can answer any or all of these questions, it would be greatly appreciated.

Andy

1. You don't have to use Exchange for email. If you have a pop/imap account, you just setup that protocol for that email account. You can however have a Exchange account as well as pop/imap accounts at the same time. This applys for both the Windows Mobile and Palm OS platforms. For example, I have a Hotmail, Yahoo and Gmail account setup and syncing.

2. Not sure I follow you on this one. I don't use a network (lan) on my Treo 700w. I suppose I can if I used a WIFI SDIO Card.

3. I have the same plan. I got the $10 text messenging plan which includes unlimited text for Verizon network and 500 out of network texts.

4. EVDO is pretty darn fast. I came over from Cingular and Edge is slow compared to EVDO. I can actually download attachments (CABs & documents that are up to 3-4MB without long delays). EVDO is a must.

5. Pages are not bad. I have owned the BB 8700c, 7100, Treo 650 and currently the Treo 700w. The 700 does a decent job at websites. Obviously the realstate won't change, but if you visit mobile sites or can deal with panning, its not too bad. I personally don't mind. EVDO does help with surfing though. I have been using these things long enough that my expectations are set.

6. I personally like the 700w, but I also like the new 700p. I currently own the 700w and won't change just yet. The 700p does not have enough compelling reason to switch from the WM5 version. I would say the Treo form factor is what is key for me. I like both OS almost equally.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by brmcguire; 05/31/2006 at 05:55 PM.
    Brian McGuire
    .../600/650/8700c/700w/Moto Q/700p/Nokia E62/700wx/8525/750c/BB Pearl/Blackjack/BB 8800/BB Curve & HTC Vox S710 >>iPhone
  3.    #3  
    Thanks Brian -

My question about Microsoft Network was just that there seem to be a bunch of icons for it on some of the screens. After the blackberry, it became clear that I'm a bit anal about what icons appear, especially on smaller screens. Can I make the MS Network (Pocket MSN) icons go away or delete the programs altogether?

Andy
    Thanks Brian -

My question about Microsoft Network was just that there seem to be a bunch of icons for it on some of the screens. After the blackberry, it became clear that I'm a bit anal about what icons appear, especially on smaller screens. Can I make the MS Network (Pocket MSN) icons go away or delete the programs altogether?

Andy
    Ok, I follow. I was also anal about cleaning the homescreen on the BB as well as the Palm OS (Treo 650). I hated having a scroll bar. Actually, I hate that now on my Treo 700w. Just looks cluttered to me personally. A few things you can do. As for Pocket MSN, I believe that is baked into the ROM. So you can't remove it. There might be some "hacked" ROMs floating around that someone has removed the useless apps. I know this has been done a lot with the Treo 650 ROMs. Versamail appears to be not a favorable app on the Treo 650's. The Treo 700w does not have a homescreen like the BB's and Treo Palm OS's. The Today screen is a little different then those. Simply put, its not Icon based. Unless you hate having icons in the programs folder. You can get a Today screen plugin that allows you to customize the apps you want access to from the Today screen.
    Brian McGuire
    .../600/650/8700c/700w/Moto Q/700p/Nokia E62/700wx/8525/750c/BB Pearl/Blackjack/BB 8800/BB Curve & HTC Vox S710 >>iPhone
    Also - remember that you can change the content of the Start menu, to suit your specific app requirements. I almost never have to open up the 'Programs' window. I changed the Start menu to include the apps I use mostly, and also know that on the W, the last 5 or so apps that you uses recently show up at the top of the Start menu.

The point is that you'll find that you should rarely have to go to the 'Programs' window. So - don't be concerned about whatever icons show there.
  6.    #6  
    Thanks guys -

One final question for multiple email accounts...

Say I pick which email address I want to reply from? Example, if someone writes to me on my gmail account can I pick to reply from my gmail account? In other words, can I select the SMTP account I use?

Andy
    It is all relative. However, any minute now, a Sprint cheerleader will jump in to encourage you to leave VZW immediately.

You should be able to get the 2000 SMS PDA ALLOWANCE (search on these terms here) free. Just don't tell VZW that you use Exchange and won't need it to trigger push email. Having the free SMS gives you other email push options.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beryl
    It is all relative. However, any minute now, a Sprint cheerleader will jump in to encourage you to leave VZW immediately.

You should be able to get the 2000 SMS PDA ALLOWANCE (search on these terms here) free. Just don't tell VZW that you use Exchange and won't need it to trigger push email. Having the free SMS gives you other email push options.

$10 or Free. hmmmm. Thanks for the tip
    Brian McGuire
  9.    #9  
    Since I won't be using Exchange but essential POP mail, I can have it check for new email at regular intervals or set it to check "on command" correct?

That's good enough for me. I won't miss the BB push mail too much.

Andy
    Since I won't be using Exchange but essential POP mail, I can have it check for new email at regular intervals or set it to check "on command" correct?

That's good enough for me. I won't miss the BB push mail too much.

Andy
    Exactly. I have mine set to 15 minutes for each account.
    Brian McGuire