Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I played with a Q at MEDC 2006. Phone quality is great. The camera was very usable and the speakerphone was wonderful. I really liked the display too. A2DP to moto HT820 is solid. The always iffy BMW Bluetooth car handsfree support will work but with no contacts capture capabilities on rev1 ULFs. Too bad it doesn't have the MSFP yet. The Moto folks said 3rd quarter.
    Last edited by Sleuth255; 05/31/2006 at 03:54 PM.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    I posted this in another thread, but in case you don't see it, here it is:

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/060531/tech_...to_q.html?.v=3

"So, Bond, how did the new cell phone work out?"

"Fine, Q. It has excellent aerodynamic properties."

"I'm sorry?"

"I tossed it at a Russian agent, stunning her. Then I took her Treo."
    I just wonder how many people on this forum (and so many other forums as well) are never satisfied, and constantly are in search of the next best thing. Maybe some of that is a by-product of being on the bleeding edge - perhaps. I'm not saying the original poster doesn't have a valid issue, but what are the odds that he'll be back in two months, in the [insert next cool device name] forum, saying he wants to sell his Q for that [next cool device].

Again - this isn't a slam on the OP, just a comment on the nature of the advanced users on this forum, and how many float from device to device, always in hope of the holy grail, only to have those hopes cruelly dashed on the rocks of the cell phone world, once the [next cool device] doesn't live up to their expectations.

Just an observation.....
    I think it's more of a buy product of these manufacturers delivering products that don't meet the consumer's demands or worse, in most cases have significant flaws.
    Is it too much to ask for a device that just works well and delivers on it's marketing promises?
    The Treos are great, but phone quality issues and OS stability have always been a complaint from 600 to the 700w. Now this Q sounds great, but no cut/paste function in the email? How inexcusable is that?
    Just being the Devil's advocate. I have to agree, though, the grass always seems greener with the next device and nothing will satisfy everyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Insurance Guy
    I've basically asked myself this: Do I want to get a replacement and hope that a) the issues do not continue, and b) the deficiencies will be corrected? Or do I start over?
    Do both. Swap out for a refurbished phone if you've had it more than 1 month otherwise urge VZW to give you a new one. If the problems still exist (without all of the 3rd party apps), sell it on ebay. The 700w is just not for you. It may be due to your location and VZW network.

Personally, the Q's lack of touchscreen, mini-SD, and Smartphone Mobile OS were big turnoffs for me. It is a pretty phone though.

Although I'm relatively pleased with my 700w, I'm ready for a new phone. Either a WM device with more memory or even a Palm device that supports Skype and Slingplayer.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hannip
    The lack of A2DP on the 700w is what's bugging me the most right now, . . . . .

What are you all talking about no A2DP?!

http://www.pcsintel.com/content/view/1280/9/
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    The lack of memory kind of has me sour on the 700w... it is otherwise a great device IMO....what good is a multi-tasking OS if you dont have enough memory to multi-task!

Got tired of IE closing down on me all the time....and having to re-pair my bluetooth headset all the time was getting to be a drag...I think those are the only two complaints I have... other than it being a bit portly
    Quote Originally Posted by gex
    ..having to re-pair my bluetooth headset all the time was getting to be a drag..
    I don't have this problem. In fact, I have to make sure I have BT turned off unless my headset is with me. I've been so far out of range that wifi would barely work but it would find my BT dang headset. Hello, hello?
    I had all kind of problems with my first 700w. The worst problem was the eco and static, with the phone's mic, wired headset and wireless headset. I actually thought the phone was supposed to work this way...

Then I called tech support, they exchanged my phone, and I've had no problems since. Actually, people say the quality is like landline with the Moto H700 BT headset... pretty amazing!
    Man, I just checked out the link to the Q, and that is nice and slim. My head spins as I can't keep up! I still have a 600 that I bought used in November (replaced though with a new 600 - antenna mishap)

I guess Motorla had to keep up?
    Craig M.
    Former Treo600 User
    No Longer Using a Treo, but Checking the Forums for Updates and such!
    Global Posts
    756 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blario
    What are you all talking about no A2DP?!

http://www.pcsintel.com/content/view/1280/9/
    Ah, that is incorrect.
    Kash76

Sprint - Treo 650, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro
    Yes, that site is totally wrong. The 1.1 update HAS NO A2DP
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    My Biggest complaint about the Treo is the fact that it unlocks the phone on incoming calls, So if you pull the phone out of your case it answers the which totally sucks then it wont relock it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Insurance Guy
    No matter what I sell on Ebay, I am upfront and honest. That is why my feedback rating is 100% and will remain that way. I'll do a hard reset before I ship and advise the purchaser of the issues that I have experienced.

I am aware of the DUN via PDANet, but going with the ethical theme, do I risk Verizon taking action for violating some ridiculous restriction they've placed on the device?
    But you are still selling a defected phone and the only way to fix it is to exchange it with VZ. Will the person that buys it from you be able to echange with VZ?

My 1st 700w had the same problem of phone quality as yours, Vz replaced it
    and there were no more problems.
    One would think that Palm would understand the importance of A2DP and add it to a subsequent 700W patch...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleuth255
    One would think that Palm would understand the importance of A2DP and add it to a subsequent 700W patch...
    We can only hope. I know softick is working on a 700w version of their Audio Gateway product, but it's probably several months away yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by nrosser
    I just wonder how many people on this forum (and so many other forums as well) are never satisfied, and constantly are in search of the next best thing. Maybe some of that is a by-product of being on the bleeding edge - perhaps. I'm not saying the original poster doesn't have a valid issue, but what are the odds that he'll be back in two months, in the [insert next cool device name] forum, saying he wants to sell his Q for that [next cool device].

Again - this isn't a slam on the OP, just a comment on the nature of the advanced users on this forum, and how many float from device to device, always in hope of the holy grail, only to have those hopes cruelly dashed on the rocks of the cell phone world, once the [next cool device] doesn't live up to their expectations.

Just an observation.....
    Since I've been lurking here, your quote is so true and funny. This the typical TC poster: Palm is behind the times, Treos don't have: Wifi, A2dp, BT1.2, bigger screen/smaller body, Euros will not accept Palm devices, no Linux, Palm is failing, no GPS, not enough memory, EDVO or EVDO is okay but I need Wifi, Sony P990 is so bad *** and so is the 8125, HTC, Moto Q, BB 8700 and whatever smartphone that is out there that is not a Palm device, will not call Mars, will not wash my car and feed the dog, etc., etc., etc.

Stop it already. We get it already. Some of you are like those people whom complain about their girlfriend or boyfriend, you go find a new squeeze for a couple of weeks then you makeup with the ex and you come running back.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Your post is so behind the times. Treo does have BT1.2 already. hehe

What fun would it be if everyone stopped complaining? Everyone would go back to work because the forums are too boring.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy
    Since I've been lurking here, your quote is so true and funny. This the typical TC poster: Palm is behind the times, Treos don't have: Wifi, A2dp, BT1.2, bigger screen/smaller body, Euros will not accept Palm devices, no Linux, Palm is failing, no GPS, not enough memory, EDVO or EVDO is okay but I need Wifi, Sony P990 is so bad *** and so is the 8125, HTC, Moto Q, BB 8700 and whatever smartphone that is out there that is not a Palm device, will not call Mars, will not wash my car and feed the dog, etc., etc., etc.

Stop it already. We get it already. Some of you are like those people whom complain about their girlfriend or boyfriend, you go find a new squeeze for a couple of weeks then you makeup with the ex and you come running back.
    lol, I actually bought my 700W last week because I relasted the p990 would take forever to be stateside supported. Please, it has 3G, but there's no 3G in the US and I need either EDGE or EV-DO on it, both of which would take time also.

Basically, I'm waiting for something better and realized a 700w would satisfy me for now.
    Well, I finally went to the darkside. I actually went long ago and just didn't come back here to tell you guys. The progression has been 650 -> XV6700 -> Q.

650 - I miss it! (nuff said)
    XV6700 - ok PDA...not so good phone
    Q - phone on steroids. Pretty decent as a PDA, but limited.

I rolled out one 700W to a sales guy who has had no complaints. Of course he's pretty tech-stupid. I'm sure he uses it for calls w/ his BT headset and to check e-mail....that's it. He prolly needs a Q actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul G
    the lack of a touchscreen is to me, typical of Moto...too little too late. Are we going backward here?
    (and we wonder why it's small??? LOL)
    That's because you are comparing a WM 5 PPC device to a WM 5 Smartphone device. So yes, it is a step "backwards" (actually, a step down is more correct.) Hence the price difference as well.

I've had the Q for a few days and so far I'm fairly happy.
    - Today screen is so/so (700W seems to have the best stock today screen I've seen so far.)
    - Can't edit MS docs, but no big loss for me on that one.
    - Lack of touchscreen takes a lot of getting used to
    - Lack of native support for memos/notes is bugging me (either have to load One Note 2007 beta or buy 3rd party product)
    - Form factor is of course VERY NICE.

Overall, I think I'll eventually be very happy w/ the Q.....for now.
    Palm III -> Palm Vx -> Clie T615c -> Clie T665c -> Tungsten T|3 -> Treo 650 -> Trew 700W (for a few days) -> XV6700 -> Moto Q
    http://geckotek.blogspot.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast