1.    #1  
    I noticed that my phone runs MUCH smoother in an EVDO area than it does in a regular 1X area...?
    The phone is much more sluggish in the 1X area.. Verizon couldnt really explain it..
    Global Posts
    146 Global Posts
    If you mean, "why do I get so much faster downloads with EVDO" the answer is because EVDO is eleventybillion times faster then 1X and one of the primary reasons for owning the 700w in the first place
    Debo, that doesn't make sense. MY dial-up has always been better than my DSL access...
  4.    #4  
    I should have clarified.. i am not referring to connection speeds. i am referring to the OS. It is sluggish (Very) in 1X areas - but runs super fast in EVDO areas.
    Global Posts
    146 Global Posts
    tama: my guess is that you've got some processes running that require connectivity (a constant update as an example) and as such, the system is running these processes on a slower network resulting in sluggish operation.

I personally notice that if I'm only at 1X and wirelessly sync'ing that everything just slows down. Check your processes and your update settings.
  7.    #7  
    Check your processes and your update settings.
    What do you mean by that?

I do use Wireless Sync (PC Monitor). Would it really make the phone run THAT much slower when in 1X? When i say it runs slower - i mean WAY slower. The entire phone runs slower - it even takes longer to soft reset.

Another thing that baffles me is this: In the Running Programs list - the only thing running is Outlook email. And i only have 6.02 MB free Program memory. I have a feeling that there are programs running that arent showing up in there...
    A total guess here, but perhaps the processor is dedicating some cycles to searching for an EVDO connection when you're in the 1xRTT area. I personally haven't experienced what you're talking about, but it might have some bearing on your experience.

I'm more inclined to believe you have a background process that requires internet access. That process gets on and off the internet in a couple of seconds at 5-700 kbps, but spends a longer period of time (up to an order of magnitude) at the 80kbps typically seen at 1xRTT speeds where you tend to notice it more. As for the soft reset comment - have you actually timed the difference?
  9.    #9  
    I'm more inclined to believe you have a background process that requires internet access.
    The ONLY process i have running is Wireless Sync. And currently i am getting 127.50 kbps.
    Here's my main problem with all of this: And this may sound like a broken record, but i had ABSOLUTELY no problems with my phone before the update. That update was from the devil for me and my phone.

I wonder if this has anything to do with me traveling between different networks so much. I work 45 minutes from where i live. Neither place is in a Verizon Network (Both Extended Digital). But i wonder if switching between the 2 roaming networks twice a day is screwing with my phone. Any thoughts on this?
    Try resetting the phone.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Quote Originally Posted by xenophonite
    Try resetting the phone.
    Good advice. May just need to clear the cobwebs. See if there is a setting to disable EV-DO when you're in a known 1X only area.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by tama2112
    The ONLY process i have running is Wireless Sync.
    Actually, that was the culprit I suspected - I just didn't want to limit your thinking on the subject preemptively. VZWSync really slows down the phone when it's syncing. If it's syncing more slowly because you're on 1XRTT, the slowdown period will last longer. The "upgrade" checks email more often than before the upgrade because of "push" technology. Are you also having POutlook check any other accounts automatically?
  13.    #13  
    Are you also having POutlook check any other accounts automatically?
    No they are all set to check manually - and yes i know the trick to prevent them from checking automatically.
    I too have had problems traveling between networks. I've noticed time in an extended network area where Activesync seems to never stop spinning. And in those areas, I've had my 700 lock up and fail to power on, forcing a soft reset.