Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I recently took jogging back up about two weeks ago. I am using my 700w as an iPod and while it works, I have the following complaints that will probably lead me to join the "real" iPod crowd.

1. The media player playlist functionality sucks. In order to create a playlist I have to do it through the WMPlayer on my PC and then sync, etc. I hate this dependency... I want to be able to just copy MP3s onto my SD card, create a playlist, and go. You can't create a playlist on the Treo itself. Is there any other easy to use and reliable software that provides this functionality?

2. Headphones... the ones I have are these Koss sport clip headphones. Maybe I run too hard or something but they just don't want to stay on my ear or close enough to where I can get good sound. Would love some recommendations.

I'm trying to save myself from having to purchase an iPod when I know this phone is perfectly capable of handling it. Thanks in advance for any help!
    Palm Treo 700w, Motorola Q
    Fully Converged, Cell Phone Videos
    The 700 has in much in common with an iPod as a Honda has with an f1 car.

Windows Media Player/the 700 is fine for getting by, but it's no replacement for the functionality, utility and sound quality of an iPod.

If you've taken up running get a shuffle or a nano. don't get the 5g 30gb or 60gb.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks, that's good advice--I was planning to get a Nano if all else fails. I need something light, and could care less about video as I use my Treo for that.
    Have you tried TCPMP for your audio needs? You can set up playlists from your SD card, and it's FREE!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by sourmash
    I recently took jogging back up about two weeks ago. I am using my 700w as an iPod and while it works, I have the following complaints that will probably lead me to join the "real" iPod crowd.

1. The media player playlist functionality sucks. In order to create a playlist I have to do it through the WMPlayer on my PC and then sync, etc. I hate this dependency... I want to be able to just copy MP3s onto my SD card, create a playlist, and go. You can't create a playlist on the Treo itself. Is there any other easy to use and reliable software that provides this functionality?

2. Headphones... the ones I have are these Koss sport clip headphones. Maybe I run too hard or something but they just don't want to stay on my ear or close enough to where I can get good sound. Would love some recommendations.

I'm trying to save myself from having to purchase an iPod when I know this phone is perfectly capable of handling it. Thanks in advance for any help!
    http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er6.aspx

etymotics ER6

These are nice, with the foam eartips they are comfortable and stay in very well. They are noise isolating, great for airplanes or if you are in a loud gym that plays music you dont like. You need a ministereo plug adaptor of course. The sound quality is excellent. I've used them for daily for jogging for a long time, and they are durable.

cant help you with the software, I am on the Palm OS with ptunes, which is fine for me.
    I've been liking PocketMusic. Especially the bass boost which rounds out the lack of bass from my not so great headphones.

It has a super easy to use playlist dialog, plays DRM protected songs, and can lock your screen and keyboard so buttons don't get pressed while you are jogging.

www.pocketmind.com/files/pmusic.zip
  7.    #7  
    Thanks for the advice, everyone. I tried TCPMP and it worked great. I also just tried PocketMusic and it works great as well. I'll put both to the test and see how they pan out. Those etymotics ER6 look nice but I'm not sure about the price. I think I've seen them in the store, but for now I am still searching for a budget-minded set of headphones that will work great when working out, running, and handle a bit of sweat while still staying in and being comfortable.
    I have been using the Sennheiser CX300 and am very happy with them.

http://www.sennheiserusa.com/newsite...transid=500830
    checkout ilounge.com They have tons of reviews on headphones running from $30-$800.
    I personally find the standard apple headphones excellent for running. They stay in place and there is nothing to chaffe.
    Check out GSPlayer too at this link. Free, WM5.0 compliant, 240x240 compliant, streams well, easy to use.
    For headphones, isolating eadbuds are he best. They are light and sound excellent if you get a good pair.

But for exercising, a cheap $50 handheld player is the way to go....
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
  12.    #12  
    I was at Target tonight so I picked up a pair of these Sony MDR-EX51LP http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...bosnation0e-20

I'll test them with a run tomorrow but so far they feel ok in my ears and the sound isn't bad at all.

Has anyone tried these new Shure headsets that come with a 2.5mm connector for the Treo? http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=...bosnation0e-20

Oh, and I have a real stupid question on these headsets, which many others have. Why is one side's cord longer than the other? Is that so you can wrap one side around the back of your neck?
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    or just get a motorola slvr and do the itunes hack which allows you to store 1000 songs....
    how on earth do you manage to keep the treo attached to you. I tried putting it in my pocket while i ran and the thing swished around so much. Maybe i need tighter pockets in my running shorts but it still seems kinda heavy. I haven't seen any arm straps or anything for the treo.
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    a treo as a music player is fine and dandy but I'd never excercise with one-much too heavy/expensive

id buckle and get a nano for 150
    saitek has some interesting headphones out...but probably cumbersome for the Treo

http://www.mobilewhack.com/reviews/s...headphone.html
    http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives...headphone.html

Not BT tho...need adapter to get to 3.5 jack to belt transmitter.
    I bought the Shure i2c treo specific headphones with the 2.5mm jack. I don't think that I would do it again. In fact, I am thinking of ebaying them. Don't get me wrong, I love the sound and noise isolation. And, that's the problem. I want them to be my only headphones and I can't because they have the 2.5mm jack that won't fit my laptop or other MP3 players.

If I were to do it again, I would get the E2c or E3c and get a 2.5 to 3.5 converter just for the treo.

Now, in terms of running with them, which I do, I find that the "wrap the wire around the ear" model can be distracting sometimes since one side or the other tends to slip off. The 5c models come with a section of kevlar on that part of the cord that has a memory to it so it stays wrapped around your ear much more securely. Of course, that'a about a retail $200 bump in price!

Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by sourmash
    I was at Target tonight so I picked up a pair of these Sony MDR-EX51LP http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...bosnation0e-20

I'll test them with a run tomorrow but so far they feel ok in my ears and the sound isn't bad at all.

Has anyone tried these new Shure headsets that come with a 2.5mm connector for the Treo? http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=...bosnation0e-20

Oh, and I have a real stupid question on these headsets, which many others have. Why is one side's cord longer than the other? Is that so you can wrap one side around the back of your neck?
    I run a lot and sweat a lot. Sweat is nasty on electronics, especially earphones. The salt will corode everything, including your Treo.

I've gone through dozens of the standard Sony yellow walkman headphones and recently got a pair of Sony MDR-A35. They are not stylish, just stay on your head and they are water (ala sweat) resistant.

Avoid anything that is noise reducing unless you run in a gym. It's nice to hear cars, bears, mountain lions and muggers coming up behind you.

I can't imagine hauling the 700w on a run. I just use a small mp3 player.
    I use my Treo700W as an MP3 player on airplanes and also at other times. I have a set Sennheisser PCX 250 sound-cancelling headphones that work great with it. I also use it to listen to audio books in my car. I connect the Treo 700w to a FM transmitter to broadcast through the car speakers.
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    I have the Sennheisser PMX60 wrap arounds. I wear them for mountain biking and I really like them. There is some sound leak though if you are in a tight area.

http://www.sennheiserusa.com/newsite...transid=004917
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast