Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am a VZ customer because i prefer the coverage area, plain and simple. My last phone was a VZ T650 and am a current T700w owner. Having said that, are any/many/none of you thinking of switching over to the VZ 700p given the increased available memory? I will say that I like WM5 but an increase in screen resolution/brightness coupled with more available memory does intrigue me. Does it you?
    Not enough to switch until there is Skype and Slingplayer support on Palm devices. I have a lot of Palm SW which I'd love to upgrade and use again but none of them (including Snappermail) is worth giving up these two applications. I posted a thread in the 700p area and it doesn't look like the 700p will be playing in the VOIP or Slingplayer world any time soon.

I'm waiting to switch to the true 700w killer device. It is hard to believe HW developers are not on this.
    Um, doesn't the 700p have the same amount of memory that the 700w has? I saw it's up to 60mb user accessible, but that's what the 700w has. The RAM is the same, right? Did they increase the RAM and I missed it?
    Yeah but you know that Palm apps, in general, are smaller than WM apps. Therefore, that 60mb user accessible memory will go farther on the 700p.
    Last edited by Beryl; 05/22/2006 at 08:05 AM.
    YES - I will be switching. The 700W's horrible lack of Program memory will have me switching as soon as the 700p is shipping by Verizon.
    No WiFi either internal or through a card (from what I am hearing.) To me the P stands for Pathetic. I'd enjoy having a phone that works with enough RAM but I'm also thinking that the Palm OS' days may be numbered. Right now Palm is the only device with this hardware and you could not pick a worse company to limit your devices to than Palm. As we know, that means some type of significant crippling for the sake of making an extra dollar to sell at the same price as other phones.
    Actually, I'd sooner switch to Sprint so as not to be raped by Verizon for data access. That's a good enough reason to switch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beryl
    Not enough to switch until there is Skype and Slingplayer support on Palm devices.... ...and it doesn't look like the 700p will be playing in the VOIP or Slingplayer world any time soon.

I'm waiting to switch to the true 700w killer device. It is hard to believe HW developers are not on this.
    The 700P supports streaming WMV and 3GP, what does Slingplayer use?
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
    Quote Originally Posted by nonobeez
    The 700P supports streaming WMV and 3GP, what does Slingplayer use?
    Proprietary, nonPalm OS, Slingbox software...
    Yep @ www.slingmedia.com and very cool. I'm invested in this method of streaming TV.

Skype is also very cool. I can reduce my voice plan and have unlimited calling throughout the US & Canada. I'm willing to switch to another free VOIP service but no one seems to know of one that can be used with a Palm OS device. This is surprising and disappointing.
    Quote Originally Posted by emosier
    YES - I will be switching. The 700W's horrible lack of Program memory will have me switching as soon as the 700p is shipping by Verizon.
    An easy fix for this is to load your apps on a SD card.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deltaflyer
    That only helps Storage memory, not Program memory.
    Quote Originally Posted by emosier
    From what I have read, after ya done with all software "in the box"....it's 52 MB free on 700p versus versus 9-11 MB on 700w
    Global Posts
    882 Global Posts
    I'm still holding out for a memory upgrade on the 700w. I'm not that big of a fan of Palm OS.
    Jack, you are confusing storage memory and execution memory. The 700w has 62 MB storage memory, as does the 700p. The 700w has 12 MB execution memory free, while I think the 700p will have 18MB execution memory.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    ...while I think the 700p will have 18MB execution memory.
    ...and only need enough of the 18 mb to run a single program at a time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deltaflyer
    This doesn't help program memory .... only storage memory. I've used the Treo 600, then 650, now 700w. For (my) business purposes, the 650 is a far better device than the 700w. Since the 700p is better than the 650, it's a no brainer.

Plenty of threads have been posted over in the 700p forum to debate the why or why not on the 700p. To me, it all comes down to how you use the device. I need to run Goodlink, edit NATIVE word files (not the Pocket Word format), view native PDFs without having to reboot to get enough free memory, and generally have a phone that will run for months without a reboot. The 700W is not that device. If it had 64Mb of program memory it might be. The update from Verizon did wonders for the device, but by the time I load Goodlink I'm down to 5Mb free.

And yes, I have to run Goodlink. YES, even if I had a choice I would run it over direct sync to Exchange.

This is how I use it. I could care less about streaming video, audio, or having my phone run a Micro$oft OS. For some of the folks on this board, my needs are not what their needs are, and that's fair.

I'll have a Verizon 700W for sale on eBay next week, if someone is interested beforehand PM me.

Cheers!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe
    ...and only need enough of the 18 mb to run a single program at a time.
    True ... but I think many of you are stuck on "multi-tasking" and haven't ever used a 650 to know how it works. I've been multitasking push email, Verichat (all four major IM services), and a MP3 player for years.

It would be a bit misunderstood to say PalmOS won't multi-task. Tell that to my Treo 600 or 650!
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    The 600/650/700p has cooperative multitasking...
    The 700w has preemptive multitasking....

Technically preemptive multitasking is much better but without enough memory the point is moot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_multitasking
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    The Motorola Q has Trumped both the 700w and 700p by having 64MB's of program memory... gota love competition! (welll EVERY other WM device has 64MBs so Palm is really to blame).

Hopefully you will soon be able to upgrade the memory of the 700w to 64MB's...no way the Palm OS can be upgraded to preemptive multitasking without a complete rewrite of the entire OS...best to lay your hopes on a Linux version....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast