Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 34 of 34
  1. #21  
    It's the same OS retooled a bit. Didn't you say you disliked the Palm OS, but loved the 700w? Whatever you didn't like about the Palm OS is probably still there on the 700p. What did they really do to Garnet to make it "better" at version 5.4.9?
  2. Cartman's Avatar
    Posts
    700 Posts
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    It's the same OS retooled a bit. Didn't you say you disliked the Palm OS, but loved the 700w? Whatever you didn't like about the Palm OS is probably still there on the 700p. What did they really do to Garnet to make it "better" at version 5.4.9?
    Who...me? Cant make a comment on the Palm OS one way or another since I have never really used it

    Will be getting a 700p to check out though...or I was... will get the Q instead im thinking.... just to check out though... im keeping my 700w

    (..and welcome back stranger!)
  3. #23  
    Actually, that was a reply to the OP.

    But thanks for welcoming me back!
  4. #24  
    Thanks for the info gex....
    Verizon 600, 700w, 700p -> Sprint Centro
  5. Nahmeanz's Avatar
    Posts
    28 Posts
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    #25  
    I'm trying to decide whether to get a W or P for my brother. I have a W but I heard a P is easier to use for "beginners". Only thing stopping me is multitasking. What can Windows do that Palm can't? Can he use Palm OS to chat on Verichat and receive a link, go to the link on Blazer, and go back to Verichat to chat about that link? or something similar to that...
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    Actually, that was a reply to the OP.

    But thanks for welcoming me back!

    yep! that is correct. i like the 700w very much, quite happy with it as Sprint's phone coverage doesn't do it for me (at least it didn't when i owned the t600 via Sprint). so would i consider a form-factor that i love coupled with my preferred provider of cellular service while offering a higher resolution screen and more available memory? sure, why not.

    i hope this helps clear your confused state.
  7. #27  
    But if you didn't like the Palm OS, the "new" version probably isn't much of an improvement, since it's the same Garnet. I "upgraded" to 5.4.8, I am not sure there is much a difference. Except newer Versamail, which not many people use anyway.
  8.    #28  
    i'm not a big fan of the palm os but have obviously used/owned it....just couldn't live with Sprint in my area. not sure why this is so important to you. do you even have a t700? versamail? you're right, i use Goodlink.

    thanks for your concern!
  9. #29  
    I wasn't trying to start a fight, only asking if you could deal with the Palm OS again. Please don't take it the wrong way. Even though we've had disagreements over the 700 before, it wasn't my intention to start an argument.
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by emosier
    True ... but I think many of you are stuck on "multi-tasking" and haven't ever used a 650 to know how it works. I've been multitasking push email, Verichat (all four major IM services), and a MP3 player for years.

    It would be a bit misunderstood to say PalmOS won't multi-task. Tell that to my Treo 600 or 650!
    I've owned one each of the Handspring-based smartphones since the Springboard Visorphone version. My last Treo, the 650, was returned after 12 days due to the continued limitations of the OS (by that time WM2003SE had clearly passed Garnet up), limited memory, and daily lockups. I've posted multiple times here about the usefulness of multi-tasking in a handheld device - the Palm OS attempt at it usually doesn't cut the mustard. Palm's pseudo-multitasking may satisfay those that haven't experienced anything better, but it falls far short for my needs.
  11. Germanguy's Avatar
    Posts
    47 Posts
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    #31  
    Talking about multi-tasking. On the Treo 700W with the limited memory, I have not been able to multi-task a whole lot. Because once the memory goes below 5 MB, palm so nicely shuts down running programs to free up space.
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by Germanguy
    Talking about multi-tasking. On the Treo 700W with the limited memory, I have not been able to multi-task a whole lot. Because once the memory goes below 5 MB, palm so nicely shuts down running programs to free up space.
    Same here - not to mention frequent lockups requiring a soft reboot or battery removal to get teh device to work.

    I thought I would like multi-tasking but I really don't notice much difference form teh 650 based on how I use my 700w. EVDO is the real thing I need; my company uses Goodlink but I haven't put it on the 700w because of memory concerns. Is the 700w a nice phone - yes; but the 700p sounds like a better fit for me. So the 700w gets sold (as will my 650) when I get my p.

    YMMV

    Jim
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by jcoffey
    Same here - not to mention frequent lockups requiring a soft reboot or battery removal to get teh device to work.

    I thought I would like multi-tasking but I really don't notice much difference form teh 650 based on how I use my 700w. EVDO is the real thing I need; my company uses Goodlink but I haven't put it on the 700w because of memory concerns. Is the 700w a nice phone - yes; but the 700p sounds like a better fit for me. So the 700w gets sold (as will my 650) when I get my p.

    YMMV

    Jim

    Sounds like the Moto Q is an even better fit. More memory and better OS. Too bad it uses the dreaded scroll wheel.
  14. Germanguy's Avatar
    Posts
    47 Posts
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    #34  
    Waiting for the 700P as well. I have been a long time Windows Mobile user since the original Ipaq 3600 cam out (2000). I have used the Palm platform for a total of 6 months since 2000. I always had to be on the cutting edge of technology, getting the latest and greatest PDA and then Smartphone. Funny, how things change, but at this point, functionality and ease of use are most important to me without needing to have the latest bells and whistles.
    Palm got it right from the get-go, building a smartphone that allows one-handed use and good functionality. Pathetic, that even with the latest WM 5.0 and the extra tweaks by palm, the 650 is still superior to the Treo 700W in one-handed use.
    I am disturbed at Palm, however, to only put 32 MB of RAM on the Treo 700W.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions