Global Posts
    21 Global Posts

According to the comparative table in Palm´s website (to see table) only the Treo 700p has Voice Recorder including ":

We already know with third software, it´s possible to add Voice Recording capabilities to Treo 650 ( mVoice is the my favorite), nevertheless when I saw that in the mentioned table they assure that the Treo 700w does not have voice recorder either, made me doubt, because at least my Treo 700w has it:

Why is my doubt?

Thanks to LabTelcel and LAlcaraz I´ve been guide to the Windows´s Mobile world, and I´ve been installing many softwares, so I think maybe one of them install that voice recorder in my Treo 700w. This morning (3 am) the sleeplessness users Luis Alcaráz y César León were in PDAMexico´s Chat room, and I ask them, and we the ansewer is the comparative table in Palm´s website it´s wrong........

PDAMexico link
    Ricardo Hernandez (ScoutBuck)
    PoderPDA
    WM5.0 has built in voice recording - it's integral to the notes program.
    Pocket PC/WM has always had voice recording in Notes, not just WM5
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Pocket PC/WM has always had voice recording in Notes, not just WM5
    True - I just figured the OP didn't need a history lesson - he's having enough problem with just the basics.
    The one thing that is lacking is easy access to the voice recording in notes. It would be nice to just be able to assign a button and have it record, without having to call up notews, access the voice recording toolbar, and hit the record button. Oh well.

Neil
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe
    True - I just figured the OP didn't need a history lesson - he's having enough problem with just the basics.
    Good point.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by shrink57
    The one thing that is lacking is easy access to the voice recording in notes. It would be nice to just be able to assign a button and have it record, without having to call up notews, access the voice recording toolbar, and hit the record button. Oh well.

Neil
    You can't assign the voice recorder to a button? That's probably why it's not listed on the chart then...
    Thats nonsense. Under the control panel Buttons applet you can assign "Record" to any action button. Just press and hold that button and it will start to record automatically.
    Palm is just pimping their latest product.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    Thats nonsense. Under the control panel Buttons applet you can assign "Record" to any action button. Just press and hold that button and it will start to record automatically.
    Palm is just pimping their latest product.

Surur
    I checked under settings/buttons/ and there is no option to assign a record function to anything.
    Scoutbuck,
    I don't have a reply about the voice record question, but I was looking at your posting and noticed your today screen on the third picutre. Besides the normal today screen, I can see you have an section toward the bottom of the screen that looks like it is showing either icon shortcuts or icons showing programs you are running. I would like to know what the icons are showing. I would love to find a launcher that would allow me to keep my current today screen but allow a section for shortcuts. I like the default Today screen except for the limitation of launching programs. Your Today screen looks like it is just what I am looking for. Any information on what you are using would be appreciated. (and I appologize for deviating from your original posting).

Thanks
    Steven
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    You can on the XV6600 and the i730, but i don't see it on the Treo 700w.
    On the 700W, you do not have an option for Record when programming the buttons. What I did was assign the side button to Notes. When I hold the button down, the Notes program opens. In the Notes program, under Menu, you can select View Recording Toolbar. Once you have the toolbar, you can record a voice message and save it as a note.

PS. I found the aswer to the previous question I posted above. I can use cLaunch (free, but 5 way doesn't work) or something like SPB (but it cost $25 and that is kinda high just to get some icons on the today screen).
    I had no idea Palm had messed to such an extent with WM5. Can some-one try this. Download this link, save it as record.lnk, copy it to the \windows\appbuttons directory, and try and map a button to it. I would be interested to see if it does anything.

http://surur.sytes.net/record.txt

Surur
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Hi stippett :

Sorry for my delay, I use 2 softwares:

Spb Plus: http://www.pocketgear.com/software_detail.asp?id=6846

and Pocket Informant with two plugins http://www.pocketgear.com/software_detail.asp?id=1011

Since last year I bought a Samsung i730, traying to lear to use windows mobile, but honestly, It isn´t as easy as I think.

Any question, I´d be a pleasure to help.
    Ricardo Hernandez (ScoutBuck)
    PoderPDA
    I had no idea Palm had messed to such an extent with WM5. Can some-one try this. Download this link, save it as record.lnk, copy it to the \windows\appbuttons directory, and try and map a button to it. I would be interested to see if it does anything.
    Surur:

I tried what you suggested and still, the record function is not listed in the button app as a choice to assign to a hw button. But so you know, the record.lnk file was already listed in the \windows\appbuttons directory.

You know, I too was suprised to find that I no longer had a one button record a memo ability when I switched to the 700w. I remember that feature being one of the core must haves in the original PocketPC HW requirements by Microsoft.

Further, since every other Pocket PC I have owned allows me to assign the record function to a HW button, either Palm or Windows Mobile 5 deliberatley removed that. I don't undertand the rational if that's the case.

Steve
    I've been using Braincast for over a month now, and I really like it. I have a quickdial for a number they give you, and it just beeps once and you record yourself a message. You get email notification of this, and then later you listen to your messages online. I use it mainly to take notes when I don't have time to write a task down. http://braincast.sluggin.com/
    You like voice memos? Check this out. Been using it since it was in beta. Great stuff.

WebIs Voice Minder

Takes a voice memo and immediately emails it to your inbox, so you don't forget you recorded it, like I used to always do.
    END OF LINE
    Any way around this issue? Can this application MSVOICE (found in the record.lnk) be copied from another WM5 device (non-Treo)?