Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    Ok,
    After months of reading internet articles here and there, I finally have the Exchange Active Sync working. I am using a Treo 700w and a Treo 650 running a custom rom image with Versamail 3.1e loaded in there and not much else. As you all know, there are some inherent difficulties in getting this to work...

T650 issues
    - Need to have the latest version of Versamail, 3.1e, which comes in the GSM rom but not the Verizon Rom. (I haven't tried using the new Rom Tool to edit a Verizon rom but want to.) It helps to customize a rom and try to keep it under 6.5mb so you have more dbcache space. Also, the Activesync component can only sync Email and the Calendar, not tasks, memos or contacts.
    - Need a data plan, preferably unlimited. With Snappermail and a bit of web browsing, I was using 35mb per month on the Treo (not tethering) Now I expect that since my calender is getting synced as well, that will be closer to 50mb.
    - Setup on the T650 takes just a minute and it works like a charm. Not sure how much battery power it will use though. I have it set to download email every 30 minutes. Autosync is the only way to get emails downloaded in the background. Otherwise you need to run the Versamail app and hit "Sync" once in a while.

700w issues
    - You must have the Server certificate installed in order for the authentication to work. I use MS Certificate Server to create a client certificate for ssl encryption, and a server certificate is generated automatically. I emailed the .crt file of the server to the 700w I was setting up (with an Imap account configured) saved the file, renamed it to .cer and ran it to install.
    - Need to limit calendar and emails on the 700! Some of my clients have 6000 contacts, five years of calendar entries and over 1000 emails in their inbox. (yeah, I know, ridiculous) So I am recommending one starts with a week of email, maybe a month back of calendar and see what happens. The 700 will slow to a crawl if the ram gets filled up, so you have to be careful with this.
    - Push email seems to work. Not exactly that way MS describes, but when you send an email to the 700w it connects and grabs it straightaway. Neat stuff.

- Exchange Server Issues
    Not even going to try and list all of them. Suffice it to say that I got SSL working, Forms Based Authentication working and then found out that Active sync and FBA don't play nice. Creating an extra Exchange virtual directory (I called it Exchange-oma) with reduced security requirements helps alot. You still want SSL though so your data stays nicely secure.

- Firewall
    Lucky for us the only port needed is TCP 443. It does need to forward to the Exchange server directly though. On the T650, you can set this port, not sure I saw that on the 700w. Changing the port is a good idea if you have a large enterprise and want to run several different services off one external IP address.

If someone will make this post a sticky, I will collect the links that explain the procedures for some of this and add them to the post.

Happy Active Syncing on your Treos!! Next I want to make a custom Verizon ROM for the T650 with the Versamail and some other neat utilities built-in.
    Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by z3bum
    Ok,
    After months of reading internet articles here and there, I finally have the Exchange Active Sync working. I am using a Treo 700w and a Treo 650 running a custom rom image with Versamail 3.1e loaded in there and not much else. As you all know, there are some inherent difficulties in getting this to work...

T650 issues
    - Need to have the latest version of Versamail, 3.1e, which comes in the GSM rom but not the Verizon Rom. (I haven't tried using the new Rom Tool to edit a Verizon rom but want to.) It helps to customize a rom and try to keep it under 6.5mb so you have more dbcache space. Also, the Activesync component can only sync Email and the Calendar, not tasks, memos or contacts.
    - Need a data plan, preferably unlimited. With Snappermail and a bit of web browsing, I was using 35mb per month on the Treo (not tethering) Now I expect that since my calender is getting synced as well, that will be closer to 50mb.
    - Setup on the T650 takes just a minute and it works like a charm. Not sure how much battery power it will use though. I have it set to download email every 30 minutes. Autosync is the only way to get emails downloaded in the background. Otherwise you need to run the Versamail app and hit "Sync" once in a while.

700w issues
    - You must have the Server certificate installed in order for the authentication to work. I use MS Certificate Server to create a client certificate for ssl encryption, and a server certificate is generated automatically. I emailed the .crt file of the server to the 700w I was setting up (with an Imap account configured) saved the file, renamed it to .cer and ran it to install.
    - Need to limit calendar and emails on the 700! Some of my clients have 6000 contacts, five years of calendar entries and over 1000 emails in their inbox. (yeah, I know, ridiculous) So I am recommending one starts with a week of email, maybe a month back of calendar and see what happens. The 700 will slow to a crawl if the ram gets filled up, so you have to be careful with this.
    - Push email seems to work. Not exactly that way MS describes, but when you send an email to the 700w it connects and grabs it straightaway. Neat stuff.

- Exchange Server Issues
    Not even going to try and list all of them. Suffice it to say that I got SSL working, Forms Based Authentication working and then found out that Active sync and FBA don't play nice. Creating an extra Exchange virtual directory (I called it Exchange-oma) with reduced security requirements helps alot. You still want SSL though so your data stays nicely secure.

- Firewall
    Lucky for us the only port needed is TCP 443. It does need to forward to the Exchange server directly though. On the T650, you can set this port, not sure I saw that on the 700w. Changing the port is a good idea if you have a large enterprise and want to run several different services off one external IP address.

If someone will make this post a sticky, I will collect the links that explain the procedures for some of this and add them to the post.

Happy Active Syncing on your Treos!! Next I want to make a custom Verizon ROM for the T650 with the Versamail and some other neat utilities built-in.
    Mike
    700w issues question:

When I first configured a few 700w's to active sync over the air it worked fine. Then all of a sudden, it stopped working and gave a "certificate" credentialling error. I think it has something to do with what you wrote, but why would it work, then not work, in terms of having to have a certificate on the cient. Please help.