Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Today I just happened to check my minutes used and I was right on the edge going over with my Verizon 700 minutes a month plan (I just hate to pay overage charges). What the heck. I had been reading that Skype has a "call within the USA for free" deal (at least until December). I never played with any kind of VOIP stuff before but why not, I am all backed up with Sprite so why not install some more garbage and enjoy a hard reset? I installed Skype and I was totally blown away. It worked! The sound quality was great, connected with no problem. I am really impressed. It is kind of weird having the sound come out of the speaker instead of the regular telephone earpiece but it really works. People on the other end had no idea I wasn't using my regular phone. I have my Treo overclocked to 512 with XPCUSCALAR which might have also helped. Who says the 700W sucks? I'm streaming, Orbing, and now calling anywhere in the USA for free (I am paying my $45 a month for unlimited data anyway). I know I am breaking the terms of my Verizon contract by all these unauthorized band hogging exploits but I have been fairly well behaved (under 1 gig this month ). O.K., enough gloating, time for the Heat game

Neil
    Last edited by shrink57; 05/16/2006 at 07:05 PM.
    Yes, Skype does work well -- glad to hear that Skypeout/US/Canada is free. Guess I'll have to reduce the number of minutes on my plan for the rest of this year.
    Are you using Skypeout? I've loaded the regular skype low pocket pc version and have had some trouble with the incoming calls being choppy. I'm told my voice comes thru very clear and the text messaging works great too. Which version of skype did you load? It may be that I need to install XPCUSCALAR to receive a clear call. I only have used it from one friend overseas talking from a laptop on dsl. I'm wondering if the problem is on that end. Any help would be appreciated.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    My Skype experience has been great when on DSL with my laptop but on my 700W there seemed to be a large delay (like I was on dial-up) What is XPCUSCALAR? What does it do and where do you get it?
    www.TigerRagTunes.com
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by NormBo
    My Skype experience has been great when on DSL with my laptop but on my 700W there seemed to be a large delay (like I was on dial-up) What is XPCUSCALAR? What does it do and where do you get it?
    XCPUScaler allows you to overclock your Treo (mine runs pretty stable at 520mhz). It not only make things load faster, for me it seems to help streaming type programs and I get smoother video. I feel it was $18 well spent. I use Skypes regular mobile instead of the low CPU release (I don't know if there is a difference) Check out this link:

http://www.pocketgear.com/software_detail.asp?id=7325

Neil
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by CamoGreg
    Are you using Skypeout? I've loaded the regular skype low pocket pc version and have had some trouble with the incoming calls being choppy. I'm told my voice comes thru very clear and the text messaging works great too. Which version of skype did you load? It may be that I need to install XPCUSCALAR to receive a clear call. I only have used it from one friend overseas talking from a laptop on dsl. I'm wondering if the problem is on that end. Any help would be appreciated.
    So far I have only played with Skypeout. I have never received a Skype call. I am using the regular instead of the low CPU version. I find that my voice quality is impacted big time by the strength of my EVDO connection but generally no problem.

Neil
    I've been using Skype on my Axim X50 for around a year and more recently on my Treo 700 and it works really well.

Now if we can just get Free high-speed wifi access everywhere, we'll all be able to really reduce our airtime costs...

I really love Skype despite a few wrinkles that I'm sure will be ironed-out over time...
    Treo 700w Software List
    Over 285 Apps, Games and Freeware
    http://treo-700-treos.blogspot.com
    I'm still working with Skype and determined to get it working right so I can reduce my voice plan on VZW and further exploit my unlimited data plan. I don't intend to use a wifi card so I'm considering overclocking if that will improve the quality of the calls. The lack of Skype for Palm OS devices is definitely keeping me on the WM side for yet a while longer.

Is there anyone here who is successful using Skype low CPU without a wifi card nor overclocking?

The only gripe I have with Skype is that there is no option to automatically add +1 (or selected country code) to entries. This means that I need to maintain Skype and normal contact entries.

Has anyone figured out a clean way around this
    ?
    Is there any way to get Skype to use the regular phone's speaker instead of the speakerphone?
    This is a good question. It is what keeps me from using Skype the most. Without a headset, there's no privacy.
    Do you mean a BT headset? I'm using the Treo Stereo Headset and the audio comes in that way. You speak to the mic on the device though. No biggie and pretty private, IMO.

@shrink - You are right about XCPUScalar. The regular PPC version of Skype works flawlessly with it.
    Last edited by Beryl; 05/22/2006 at 07:39 PM.
    Do you mean a BT headset? I'm using the Treo Stereo Headset and the audio comes in that way. You speak to the mic on the device though. No biggie and pretty private, IMO.
    A bluetooth headset will not work with skype. You need to use a hardwired headset.
    Do NOT use the low-speed (312MHz) version of Skype. Use the regular version instead (and use XCPUScaler). The low-speed version results in choppy calls and terrible call quality (even with overclocking). I tried both versions and discovered this.
    Quote Originally Posted by greendrinks
    Do NOT use the low-speed (312MHz) version of Skype. Use the regular version instead (and use XCPUScaler). The low-speed version results in choppy calls and terrible call quality (even with overclocking). I tried both versions and discovered this.
    greendrinks (and others)

I have tried repeatably to use the Skype 312mhz version with TERRIBLE results! I have been using Skype with a Wi-Fi connection. I tried today to call my home from 2 different restaurants in my town that offer free Wi-Fi.

I was able to get through to my home and I could hear them (however a bit choppy), but they NEVER heard me (except for only one word on one of the calls)! This problem was consistant for the FIVE different phone calls I attempted from these two different site.

So are you using Skype via Wi-Fi or what? Is anyone here using Skype via Wi-Fi? Are you experaincing similar problems? If not, what are you doing to make it work?

I'm going to try the "regular" Skype and XPCUScaler to see if it makes a differance, but I really don't want to spend the money. Maybe XPCUScaler has a demo version I can try first - I hope so.

Thanks,
    Tom
    Yes, there is a expiring version of XCPUScaler. I tried it and purchased it straight away. As mentioned by a few of us here, it enables the regular version of Skype to work quite well using EVDO. I've never tried it with a WiFi card.
    Well I tried the "high speed" version of Skype also with XPCUScalar running at 520 mhz. Unfortuanately I saw no inprovement. In fact this time I tried Skype using Verizon's EVDO. Even using EVDO, when I called my house they only heard an occasional word from me. I however could hear all of their words just fine. This is pretty much the same results I had earlier with the Skype "low speed" version using Wi-Fi.

Something else that I noticed with both versions that I felt was strange, was that if I typed in the number I wanted to call using the Treo's keypad, that only the first 4 digits appeared on the line below in a prompt manor. The remaining digits of the phone number appeared very slowly and delayed considerably after I had typed them.

I'm beginning to wonder (seeing that most here have had acceptable results) if maybe some other program I have loaded on the Treo isconfliction with Skype.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Tom
    Quote Originally Posted by TomBoisseau
    I'm beginning to wonder (seeing that most here have had acceptable results) if maybe some other program I have loaded on the Treo isconfliction with Skype.
    What do you have loaded?

I have little or nothing loaded when I use Skype. I just use Wisbar Lite and only the clock, web search, and mail Today plugins. As a result, I start off with about 11 MB free.
    I have quite a few 3rd party applications installed. After a soft reset I usually have about 10mb free, but more often it is usually around 7mb free. Here they are:

Adobe Reader for PC 2.0
    AudioCalc
    Auto Tuner (4Pockets)
    Battleship
    Bejeweled
    Color Resistor Code
    Crazy Daisy
    ChromaGames
    Guitar Tuner (4Pockets)
    HiCalc
    LectriCalc
    Metro
    Mobile Electronic
    Mobipocket Reader
    Null Keyboard
    PdaNet
    Perfect Beat (metronome)
    Pocket Streamer Pro
    PocketOne Stopwatch
    PocketRTA Pro (4Pockets)
    Pocket World Info
    Resco AAC Decoder
    Resco Audio Recorder
    Resco File Explorer
    Resco FTP Add-in
    Resco Picture Viewer
    Resco Picture Viewer Sync Module
    Resco Radio
    Resco Registry Add-in
    Resco Today Plugin
    Resco Today Skins (Smile, Compact, Alfa)
    Resco Update
    Resco Screen Capture
    Simon-arm
    SK Tools
    Socket Go Wi-Fi E300
    Socket Wi-Fi Companion
    Spb Diary
    Spb Pocket Plus
    Spb Weather
    Sprite Backup
    +StartPage
    Word Picker
    WordBook
    WordBook Speech Engine
    WorldMate 2006 Pro

Tom
    I have a lot of stuff installed too (twice what you've listed) but I don't have them automatically started. They are just there when I need them.

1. Disable everything that is a today screen plug-in or starts automatically. I have experience with the following so keep them from starting up:

Spb Weather
    Spb Dairy
    Spb Pocket Plus (disable everything it does - it is a monster)
    Resco Today plugin
    PdaNet
    WordPicker*** (I've had problems with WordBook on my XV6600 and have not installed it on my 700w. Don't let WordPicker start up automatically.)

2. Look in \Windows\Startup and see what is in there. You should only have a couple of things like poutlook and maybe a email push client. Other things can be moved temporarily to a folder on your card if the app doesn't give you the option.

3. Reset and make sure you have at least 10MB after everything has started up and settled - including EVDO.

4. Start XCPUScalar at 520 mhz

5. Start Skype and make a call.

If it works, you can slowly add things back until you notice degradation.

(I made several calls tonight using Skype and everything worked well. The people on the other side didn't know I was using VOIP.)

Bonne Chance!

ETA: Change your Today theme to a default -- nothing fancy.
    Beryl,

Thanks for all your help and suggestions. Unfortunately, my "trial" version of XCPUScalar has already expired, however deactivating all "Today" plugins and stopping all the "start up" programs did help. Most (but not all) of my words were heard on the other end of the line. So there IS inprovement - not enough though. I tried both the "low CPU" and "high CPU" versions of Skype. Both seemed to perform about equally without XCPUScalar. Do you really think purchasing XCPUScalar will solve my remaining problems with some "dropped" words?

Thanks,
    Tom
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast