Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I just found out that the latest version (4.2.5) of PocketMusic now supports DRM protected music from PlaysForSure Music sites. It works great and even has an equalizer and bass boost options. Very slick product. Now I need to find a good winamp skin to use with it.

www.pocketmind.com/files/pmusic.zip

Note: Playing songs from a wmp loaded playlist didn't work for me. I just load the music folders directly. It's very easy to select the songs you want to play.
    Update: I found the problem with the WMP generated playlists. The HREF's in the playlist are all relative paths to the songs. PocketMusic doesn't handle relative paths. I copied a playlist to my laptop and edited it with notepad to convert the paths to full paths and copied it back. It works.

Example playlist (before):
    <ASX VERSION="3.0"><TITLE>The Cars - Candy-O</TITLE>
    <ENTRY><REF HREF="..\Music\The Cars\Candy-O\001-Let's Go.wma" /></ENTRY>
    <ENTRY><REF HREF="..\Music\The Cars\Candy-O\004-Double Life.wma" /></ENTRY>
    <ENTRY><REF HREF="..\Music\The Cars\Candy-O\011-Dangerous Type.wma" /></ENTRY>
    </ASX>

Example playlist (after):
    <ASX VERSION="3.0"><TITLE>The Cars - Candy-O</TITLE>
    <ENTRY><REF HREF="\Storage Card\Playlists\..\Music\The Cars\Candy-O\001-Let's Go.wma" /></ENTRY>
    <ENTRY><REF HREF="\Storage Card\Playlists\..\Music\The Cars\Candy-O\004-Double Life.wma" /></ENTRY>
    <ENTRY><REF HREF="\Storage Card\Playlists\..\Music\The Cars\Candy-O\011-Dangerous Type.wma" /></ENTRY>
    </ASX>

Update2: I was getting frequent hangs between tracks with DRM protected songs. I fixed this by disabling the Gapless playback effect found in the player options Effects tab.

I sent email to PocketMind support to fix these. They seems pretty responsive.
    Last edited by hannip; 05/18/2006 at 12:33 PM.
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Are there any music players that will play AAC format? I know nothing is going to play the songs I purchased from the iTunes Music Store, but will anything play the AAC files I ripped from CD's myself?
  3.    #3  
    You're in luck! PocketMusic has an AAC plugin for playing songs from ITunes. When you install PocketMusic it asks you if you want to install the plugin or not.
    do you mean it will play protected aac files?
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Thanks! Gotta check it out...
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by yitzchakis1
    do you mean it will play protected aac files?
    "AAC plugin will add support for AAC, AAC Plus, MP4, M4A files. Play your iTunes music collection on your Pocket PC!"

Someone that has ITunes give it a try and let us know if it works!
    Quote Originally Posted by hannip
    "AAC plugin will add support for AAC, AAC Plus, MP4, M4A files. Play your iTunes music collection on your Pocket PC!"

Someone that has ITunes give it a try and let us know if it works!
    Yes, let's find out, I would be very surprised if you could play iTunes downloads.

It's one thing to support AAC, all that means is you can play songs you may have ripped from your CDs and imported into iTunes in AAC format. AAC is not even a proprietary Apple format (although everyone thinks it is, they're wrong, it's just that Apple is one of the only users of the format.)

It's the recording that's in AAC format, in order to play iTunes Music Store downloads you need to be able to decrypt the FairPlay DRM wrapper that the recording is stored within on the iTMS downloads.
    If im not mistake you can geta plugin for tcmp as well.

http://tcpmp.corecodec.org/download

Having said that i cant find it on the site so i might be wrong.
    Nokia 3210 > Nokia 3310 >Palm Vx > Palm M105 >Treo 180g and Nokia 8850 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Sony TH55 > Tapwave Zodiac 2 > Treo 650 GSM > Imate KJam > Treo 750v

Formerly Known As PRANKSTAR
  9.    #9  
    I found workarounds for the WMP playlist issue and for hangs between tracks with DRM protected songs. See the initial post for details.
    Quote Originally Posted by hannip
    I found workarounds for the WMP playlist issue and for hangs between tracks with DRM protected songs. See the initial post for details.
    could you please explain this in more detail as im a tad confused as to how to do that work around for wmp.....for now i use the windows media plaer playlist maker app and it works ok but hangs every so often and a hard reset is needed......is this an actual work around to play playlists using wmp options menu
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by happypappy
    could you please explain this in more detail as im a tad confused as to how to do that work around for wmp.....for now i use the windows media plaer playlist maker app and it works ok but hangs every so often and a hard reset is needed......is this an actual work around to play playlists using wmp options menu
    This workaround is to make WMP generated playlists usable by PocketMusic. WMP itself doesn't have any issues with these. What I mean by WMP generated playlists are playlists that have been created using WMP on the pc that are auto-synced to the treo. They end up on the treo in a folder called "Playlists" and are in the ASX format.

So the ASX format is basic XML and can be edited using any text editor. You can easily create your own simply using notepad and copying the file to your treo. However since WMP creates them why bother.
  12.    #12  
    I just found another reason to like PocketMusic. You can set it up to lock the screen and keyboard so you can play music while in your pocket or in a case hooked to your belt and don't have to worry about it pressing keys or touching your display activating stuff by accident. I set it to toggle the screen off after 15 seconds of idle time and tell it to lock the keyboard at the same time. The only issue is that the keyboard lights stay on when locked.
    Quote Originally Posted by vassago
    Are there any music players that will play AAC format? I know nothing is going to play the songs I purchased from the iTunes Music Store, but will anything play the AAC files I ripped from CD's myself?
    Instead of ripping I convert with SoundTaxi and it shows cool results
    The speed and sound quality are on highest level among other similar converters
    And a couple of audio formats are supported
    Interesting soft... I'll try
    I used to use JHmyn to fix the DRM issue but iTunes 6 broke that. I haven't purchased music from the iTunes store since upgrading either. I'm morally opposed to Apple's insistance that only their iPods can be licensed players of DRM encrypted music. I don't have a problem with the fairkeys system, only the licensing of third party players.

Just so I've got this correct: we're actually talking WM5 software that can play DRM encrypted AAC by picking up a fairkey from iTunes (in much the same was as an iPod does) here?
    Bump. Just ran across pocketmusic myself. Their info page

http://www.pocketmind.com/pocketmusic.htm

says:

AAC plugin will add AAC Plus and AAC (iTunes) music support to your Pocket PC.

Which is vague. Anybody tried it with an iTunes DRM song yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by septimus
    Bump. Just ran across pocketmusic myself. Their info page

http://www.pocketmind.com/pocketmusic.htm

says:

AAC plugin will add AAC Plus and AAC (iTunes) music support to your Pocket PC.

Which is vague. Anybody tried it with an iTunes DRM song yet?
    my understanding is that it will read stuff you've ripped with iTunes, but I highly doubt it will read anything purchased from itunes.
    Quote Originally Posted by littlewaywelt
    my understanding is that it will read stuff you've ripped with iTunes, but I highly doubt it will read anything purchased from itunes.
    That's what I figured. If it was otherwise it would be "Big News"
    Quote Originally Posted by Collins
    Interesting soft... I'll try
    But better download from their official site - the prog version is the latest there!
    Quote Originally Posted by PRANKSTAR
    If im not mistake you can geta plugin for tcmp as well.

http://tcpmp.corecodec.org/download

Having said that i cant find it on the site so i might be wrong.
    AAC & TCMP. I can get you a copy of the plug-in, msg me privately. I use it to watch video I converted for Ipod.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast