Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Is it ok to leave the phone connected (flight mod off) 24/7 or it is best to shut down the phone (flight mod on) for at least a few hours?

TIA!
    I leave mine on 24/7
    I always leave my cell phones on 24X7 and only turn it off when force to do so (e.g. flights, hospitals, etc.). Who told you that phones need to be turned off?
  4.    #4  
    VZW support person recommended it. He said besides its good to turn off your PDA to let it cool down/rest for a couple of hours (for longevity according to him), its also good to turn off your phone and turn it on once a day so your ID is on top of heirarchy tower. According to him, if you don't reset your phone once in awhile, your number will push down the heirarchy and more likely to get less signal and more dropped calls. I heard the same thing with TMobile Support when I had service with them with my Blackberry. Sounded like BS but thought I'd ask......
    Yep mines on all day everyday, and havnt had any problems.
    Nokia 3210 > Nokia 3310 >Palm Vx > Palm M105 >Treo 180g and Nokia 8850 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Sony TH55 > Tapwave Zodiac 2 > Treo 650 GSM > Imate KJam > Treo 750v

Formerly Known As PRANKSTAR
    My trouble free Sprint/T650 phone is on 24/7 and travels all over the country with me.

Chuck
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    24/7 here as well...you will want to update it about once a month by dialing *228 and option 2...
    It certainly won't hurt it to turn it off everyone once in a while. Turn it off at night so that you don't get calls that wake you up.

And now:
    My 700P will be better than your 700p!

Signed,
    The n00b!

P.s. Bow before me!

Don't just see the n00b, be the n00b! Wait, no...
    And, the answer IS....

Based on the vast majority of replies to the question, people are keeping their Treos on 24/7, with no adverse effect. Makes sense - there's no advisory in the user's manual against doing so. What good is it as a communication device, it it has to be turned off periodically? Leave it on.
    Global Posts
    445 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gex
    you will want to update it about once a month by dialing *228 and option 2...
    what exactly does this do? and is it really needed to do this once a month? thx
    TRGpro --> Handera 330 --> SideKick I --> HP iPAQ H4355 (stolen) --> Navman PiN --> Treo 700w
    About the only negative that I can think of is slightly more stress on the battery. That said, I leave mine on 24/7. I'm still on original 650 battery (since Dec 04) but I frequently charge, never all night, yet don't often let it get below ~50%. Still have good battery life (could probably get 2 full days with moderate phone / internet use - a week maybe without phone on).

Don't know what *228 does on Sprint (which is what I have), but I occasionally use *18. Never had a problem with connectivity.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by plasmo
    what exactly does this do? and is it really needed to do this once a month? thx
    Updates the phone with the latest PRL (dont ask me what that stands for..).

I think it updates the phone with new towers and network features...check out the VZW forum over at howardforums for more info on this.. its not unique to the 700w... all VZW phones benefit from doing this every month or so....
    Well, considering my treo cashes an average of once per day, it (the phone) at least gets power cycled. LOL.
    Seriously though, I power off my phone when I go to bed and I have a program that automatically turns it on early in the morning. I simply don't want it ringing or getting text messages at night. If I don't shut it off it turns itself off at 2am. I disable it when I'm traveling (always on)

But you don't need to do that. Lots of people with normal phones never turn them off. Though I recommend power cycling it (off & on) every few of days just because.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Well, considering my treo cashes an average of once per day, it (the phone) at least gets power cycled. LOL.
    Seriously though, I power off my phone when I go to bed and I have a program that automatically turns it on early in the morning. I simply don't want it ringing or getting text messages at night. If I don't shut it off it turns itself off at 2am. I disable it when I'm traveling (always on)

But you don't need to do that. Lots of people with normal phones never turn them off. Though I recommend power cycling it (off & on) every few of days just because.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G

Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Quote Originally Posted by MelissaP
    VZW support person recommended it. He said besides its good to turn off your PDA to let it cool down/rest for a couple of hours (for longevity according to him), its also good to turn off your phone and turn it on once a day so your ID is on top of heirarchy tower. According to him, if you don't reset your phone once in awhile, your number will push down the heirarchy and more likely to get less signal and more dropped calls. I heard the same thing with TMobile Support when I had service with them with my Blackberry. Sounded like BS but thought I'd ask......

Wouldn't work for me. I'm on call 24/7 and I don't have a pager.
    Originally Posted by MelissaP
    Yeah, I'd have to agree with your assessment. It's astounding sometimes the "recommendations" some of these support people offer, and that's across the board, not just wireless phones.

I'd like to buy some of these people for what they're worth, and sell 'em for what they think they're worth.
    Do people unplug their land lines for brief moments during the day? I don't have a land line so how else do I get calls---mine is on 24/7/365
    I reset my phone regularly (once every few days) just to clean up RAm, etc. Not because its needed though...
    noob alert:

When you say turn off...do you mean holding the red power button, thus turning off the wireless features? Is there actually a way to turn the actual phone completely off, if say, I wanted to save battery for a while?

You also might be talking about a soft reset...set me straight here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast