1.    #1  
    Does anyone know a way to sync files on a pc with the storage card in the Treo?
    Put Card in PC Card Reader and Copy
  3.    #3  
    Thats what I do now through Activesync but it takes about 40 minutes to copy the files.
    Quote Originally Posted by eki
    Does anyone know a way to sync files on a pc with the storage card in the Treo?

Actually, there is a way to setup Windows Briefcase to automatically snc the card. Below is a synopis from another thread:

You can "manually" copy all SD Card contents to your PC (or Mac) on a regular basis with a card reader, CardEXport or CardReader, but it tends to be tedious and time-consuming since you typically have to copy EVERYTHING. With a large SD Card (my 2GB, for example), it takes forever and the temptation to skip it altogether is very strong. Furthermore, unless you also carefully delete from the target the files and directories that no longer exist on the source, you end up with a large mess of questionable use for restoring an SD card in case of failure.

Amazingly enough, the simple and free solution comes from Microsoft ("Microsoft, free, simple" - I seldom get to use all three words in the same sentence without an intervening negation!). All recent Windows versions include a Briefcase component which is meant specifically to synchronize two directory trees. In this case, you want to synhronize your SD Card with a directory of your choice on your PC(s). Here, I use a directory cleverly named "SD Card" to make it easy. At any time, it containd an exact copy of the entire contents of my SD Card, suitable for immediate restore if necessary.

From your Window desktop, right-click to "New", then "Briefcase". If there is no "Briefcase" option, look for and execute program "syncapp.exe" (typically in "c:\Windows\system32\"). In either case, you will now see a new Briefcase icon on the desktop. Leave it there or move it to the location of your choice, and change its name to whatever you want ("SD Card"?).

Make sure your SD Card is connected (reader, CardExport, CardReader, etc.), open both the briefcase and the SD Card and copy all SD Card files to the briefcase. This initial step takes a while, but you won't have to do it again. You're now all set. At any time the SD Card is connected, simply right-click on the Briefcase and select "Update All". Windows will automatically scan both the source and the destination and suggest the appropriate actions (copy/delete) for anything that has changed.

Read the documentation to tweak your options. The process is very versatile yet simple to execute. You could allow updates only from the Card to the PC (default backup), or from the PC to the Card (default restore), or both ways (if you copied files to the briefcase when the card was not connected). It also works nicely to synchronize one Card with two machines (desktop and laptop) or one PC directory with two Cards.
    There is also freeware 3rd party solutions like SyncToy or Goodsync:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...o/synctoy.mspx

http://www.goodsync.com/

Others include Bluesync etc, but costs $$:
    http://www.bluesquirrel.com/products/bluesync/

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  5.    #5  
    The Briefcase solution sounds great but when I copy files to the sync card in the treo, many of them need to convert. If I take the card out of thr Treo to sync the files, the ones that needed to convert will probably not open.
    here's a link to another briefcase thread

http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=113633

Not sure what you mean by a "sync card" or "convert". What type of files are you copying to this "sync card" and what are you converting them to.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    here's a link to another briefcase thread

http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=113633

Not sure what you mean by a "sync card" or "convert". What type of files are you copying to this "sync card" and what are you converting them to.
    I meant storage card and what I am copying are mostly Word, Excel and PDF documents. I am not sure why some files are converted but it seems that they need to be converted to be readable by the software on the Treo.
    Well PDFs that you are reading with PalmPDF are in native format so that don't matter. Plus why are you synching PDF's ? You are not editing them are you ?

I find messing with Word, Excel files on the Palm too cumbersome except for very minor edits....like changinga phone numer...these I let sync....most tho that get edited substantially, I just use Softick to copy them from my PC to the Treo and then use a kiosk PC or offcie PC wherever I am traveling. So I am not in a psoition to help you much here. But if you carrying a crapload of docs that must be sync'd every time, I now understand your delays.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Well PDFs that you are reading with PalmPDF are in native format so that don't matter. Plus why are you synching PDF's ? You are not editing them are you ?

I find messing with Word, Excel files on the Palm too cumbersome except for very minor edits....like changinga phone numer...these I let sync....most tho that get edited substantially, I just use Softick to copy them from my PC to the Treo and then use a kiosk PC or offcie PC wherever I am traveling. So I am not in a psoition to help you much here. But if you carrying a crapload of docs that must be sync'd every time, I now understand your delays.
    I rarely edit any docs on my Treo but I am on the road most of the time so I need to have access to my files. I am constantly adding and deleting documents on my pc and the reason I prefer syncing to copying is just the time that it would save. Thanks for your help.
  10.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    When I attempt to synchronize a folder on the Treo with a folder on the storage card using SyncToy with the Treo connected to my PC throgh ActiveSync, SyncToy doesn't let me sync to files on the storage card. It can't see past "Mobile Device".
  11.    #12  
    I installed Card Export 2, set up a briefcase on the storage card and put a shortcut on my desktop. I right click the icon and select update all and It works like a charm! Thanks for the help, this is a big deal for me !!! Does anyone know a way to automate the process using MemMaid?
    Last edited by eki; 05/13/2006 at 07:36 AM.
  12. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    I installed Card Export 2, set up a briefcase on the storage card and put a shortcut on my desktop. I right click the icon and select update all and It works like a charm! Thanks for the help, this is a big deal for me !!! Does anyone know a way to automate the process using MemMaid?
    Card Export is what got you going. Glad you got it working.
    I rarely edit any docs on my Treo but I am on the road most of the time so I need to have access to my files. I am constantly adding and deleting documents on my pc and the reason I prefer syncing to copying is just the time that it would save. Thanks for your help.
    Now I understand better. I just put those "unchanding" PDF's directly onto the card on a "PDF" directory and don't sync it....they don't chnage so no need to sync.....on the rare occasion they do change, I copy them using SOftick. I also eep all my SOftware and Treo Manuals in a subdirectory of that direcory
    Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    When I attempt to synchronize a folder on the Treo with a folder on the storage card using SyncToy with the Treo connected to my PC throgh ActiveSync, SyncToy doesn't let me sync to files on the storage card. It can't see past "Mobile Device".

Won't work. I cannot get past MOBILE DEVICE on the explorer Hierarchy.
    Anybody figure this out? i can't believe this is so hard to make work when Palm has been doing it forever... All i want is instead of syncing to My documents on the Treo, i want to sync to Storage card on the treo...

So when i connect the treo to the PC (with the sd card in the Treo's slot) all i want is to sync to documents on the PC to the Storage card path...

How do i do that?

Thanks
    Anyone have any luck here? Is there a program that lets you ADD folders to sync (on storage card or anwhere else) to Activesync (using the standard activesync)?

That would be a quick and easy way to solve.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeRadio View Post
    Anyone have any luck here? Is there a program that lets you ADD folders to sync (on storage card or anwhere else) to Activesync (using the standard activesync)?

That would be a quick and easy way to solve.
    Look for a program called mobsync. it should work