Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm the IT guy here at my company and we have several Treo 700w phones. I'm getting various reports of phones not having good signal and or no coverage in places were VZW phones previously worked.

What's happening is everytime you do a soft reset the network under the Phone settings is getting set back to home. Now if you do a *228 the band selection will sometimes change. Other times it seems like the band seletion changes on it's own.

Can someone explain what this does? What it's supposed to do and if I should be worried about it? VZW doesn't really know what it is and they say do a *228 after every soft reset. That's complete BS IMO because we have to soft reset every few days with the Treo's.

I posted this at howardforums.com as well, hoping to generate some answers.
    Even though this has been talked about before, I don't recall ever seeing a definitive answer. My device loves the HOME network and manages to change itself back at will. I can get better RF signals if I change to one of the AUTO networks, but it won't stay there. The advice VZ gave you is complete BS and is the opposite advice the same company gave someone else on here.
    check out http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...home+automatic

I don't think anyone has an answer for this yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by LIVE4SPD
    I'm the IT guy here at my company and we have several Treo 700w phones. I'm getting various reports of phones not having good signal and or no coverage in places were VZW phones previously worked.

What's happening is everytime you do a soft reset the network under the Phone settings is getting set back to home. Now if you do a *228 the band selection will sometimes change. Other times it seems like the band seletion changes on it's own.

Can someone explain what this does? What it's supposed to do and if I should be worried about it? VZW doesn't really know what it is and they say do a *228 after every soft reset. That's complete BS IMO because we have to soft reset every few days with the Treo's.

I posted this at howardforums.com as well, hoping to generate some answers.
    Yes you should be worried.
    Every time you soft reset, put the phone in flight mode/turn the phone radio off, it reverts to the "home" setting. This is the only phone in the world that seems to do this. Has anyone ever heard of another? The problem is that if you go into an area that doesn't have a verizon tower, you won't have any service at all, even if you could be roaming under another carrier. In the automatic b or a settings it finds the best cdma signal and you maintain service. This is a major major problem with this phone.
    I spent several hours in total with both VZW and Palm support on this topic. I also, at VZW's suggestion, exchanged my phone and now have a refurbished model. The exchange did not solve the problem, by the way.

When I spoke to Palm support, they did a quick check on a couple of 700w's they had on hand. Two of the phones exhibited the behavior we've seen (i.e., keeps resetting network band to "home"), one did not. They had no explanation why, and said they would add this to the list of things they need to fix in subsequent updates. Not very satisfying, but at least (unlike VZW) they did not fabricate an answer or have me send my phone back. I wish I had held on to my original phone.

If you have the time, call Palm support and tell them that your phone is reverting back to "home" after a reset or power down. I hope that if enough people complain, they'll get around to fixing it.
  6.    #6  
    Well I definately intend to call VZW / Palm I just want to educate myself first. This is also not an issue between defective models, I checked 5 of mine they all do the same thing. Interestingly they also will intermittenly not let you change the band. You change it to auto b or auto a, and if you recheck the setting it will be at "home"

Strange.
    you have to manual set it to auto b after you turn off the phone and turn it back on. I also spent hours with tech support. If you do this and then call *611 to check if it sticks on auto b. This works.
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    I've been missing some calls recently and saw this thread. In my area, I should be on "Auto B", but my device too keeps defaulting to "Home". VZW Tech Support claims their test devices stay on "Auto B" after soft-resets and or flight-mode, but mine defaults back to "Home" every time. They offered a replacement device, but I'm going to live with this minor inconvenience.

Isn't it interesting that all of our devices default to "Home", but the magical devices at VZW's tech office stay to "Auto"? Is there anyone here who also has a magical device that doesn't default to "Home"?
  9. SHV
    quayman, what specifically does a *611 do?
    Global Posts
    271 Global Posts
    Mine stays on Auto B all the time.. soft reset .... radio on off... etc..

Sorry but I'm not gonna change it to test LOL
    test call for free
  12.    #12  
    #832 is also the test call Verizon has me do.
  13.    #13  
    Ok after a long conversation with Palm and a short one with Verizon here's the gist of the story.

Verizon says you need to be on Auto A or Auto B to get the best coverage. They also said if your phone resets and goes back to Home then you'll have to change it yourself. Too bad, deal with it.

Palm says they acknowledge the fact Verizon says Auto A or Auto B, and the rep's treo he uses goes back to Home when he soft resets. Interesting he said his "simulator" on the computer goes back to Auto B. So he recognized the problem but he says there's nothing they can do about it at this point. It will be logged in their system to be looked at later, but who knows when it will get fixed if ever.

Interesting his simulator acts JUST LIKE the Treo will when it's opened up out of the box fresh. There is a couple settings that are different from when you open it from Verizon, versus when you hard reset it. So the VZW staff have the simulator for the Treo AS PROVIDED out of the box, versus the actual settings that are active when you soft reset it the first time. Or hard reset it the first time. This would explain why VZW's test Treos are acting differently then the Treo's in the field, because they are simulators and not actual devices. Now I'm sure somebody at VZW as a real Treo 700w but not the lame customer services reps on the phone.

So the short of this story is....

You need to be on Auto A or Auto B. And you need to change it yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by LIVE4SPD
    Ok after a long conversation with Palm and a short one with Verizon here's the gist of the story.

Verizon says you need to be on Auto A or Auto B to get the best coverage. They also said if your phone resets and goes back to Home then you'll have to change it yourself. Too bad, deal with it.

Palm says they acknowledge the fact Verizon says Auto A or Auto B, and the rep's treo he uses goes back to Home when he soft resets. Interesting he said his "simulator" on the computer goes back to Auto B. So he recognized the problem but he says there's nothing they can do about it at this point. It will be logged in their system to be looked at later, but who knows when it will get fixed if ever.

Interesting his simulator acts JUST LIKE the Treo will when it's opened up out of the box fresh. There is a couple settings that are different from when you open it from Verizon, versus when you hard reset it. So the VZW staff have the simulator for the Treo AS PROVIDED out of the box, versus the actual settings that are active when you soft reset it the first time. Or hard reset it the first time. This would explain why VZW's test Treos are acting differently then the Treo's in the field, because they are simulators and not actual devices. Now I'm sure somebody at VZW as a real Treo 700w but not the lame customer services reps on the phone.

So the short of this story is....

You need to be on Auto A or Auto B. And you need to change it yourself.

I'm gonna end up wearing out my buttons because it won't stick. VZ or Palm needs to raise the priority level on this.
  15.    #15  
    Some enterprising individual needs to write a program that will take care of this for us.
    You may be able to manage it yourself by creating a script with MortScript. It can simulate button presses, screen taps, etc. If you are good with scripting (the syntax is very easy) and can figure out exactly what needs to be done, then you can launch the script at will.

Of course, has anyone thought it might be a registry entry? I don't know how changing that on the fly would affect the setting or signal strength, but it's a thought. I never thought that it would be an issue, since I'm in the middle of a big metro area and signal strength has (knock on wood) never been an issue for me.
    How do I know if I should use Auto A or B? I'm in Los Angeles.
    Thanks.
  18.    #18  
    Auto A or B it doesn't matter. Pick one.
    Once you switch from Home to either Auto setting, how long does it take to have an effect? My signal strength stays the same. I've also noticed that anywhere from 5 to 60 minutes after I change the setting, it goes back to Home, even without any type of reset. I've given up attempting to change it. And, my signal strength bites compared to what I had on the 650 with Sprint. I really hate Verizon.
    does this really matter? Mine stays on "home" and I have been all over the country with it and it never misses a beat. I think it bypasses this setting and selects the network based on the PRL anyway, right?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast