Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    see the thing with this is "issue" shouldn't be a problem..

The problem is that Microsft's WM5 is unstable..

You guys complain about it not keeping the setting after a reset.
    Now I don't know about you guys but the only reason why the device needs to be reset is because:
    1- the phone crash because of x or y program
    2- for some reason the phone is acting wierd and memory leaks is causing it to slow down.

The OS is not stable. now if the OS is stable you would just do the setting once and not have to worry about it for a long time..

that's rediculous. it also reverts every time the phone radio is turned off. that has nothing to do with the stability of WM5. Many ppl have to turn their phones off several times in the course of a day.
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    Discussion Thread
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Response (AJ) - 05/31/2006 12:33 PM
    Hello xxxx,

Thank you for contacting Palm Treo 700W email Technical Support. My name is A.J. and I will be assisting you with your issue. This change was done by the carrier, the network mode is now controlled by the PRL ID and the cell towers. You can force it to Automatic A or Automatic B; however as you have seen it will switch back to home when updated with the cell tower.
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    and a follow-up question...
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Response (AJ) - 05/31/2006 01:17 PM
    Hello Mr. xxxx

That is correct the only way is to manually force it into automatic B mode. This change was done by the carrier, the network mode is now controlled by the PRL ID and the cell towers.

Cordially,
    Palm Treo700w Support Team

Customer (xxxxxxx) - 05/31/2006 12:56 PM
    Okay, but the issue is that the phone does not work in extended network mode
    without manually switching it or "forcing it" into automatic B mode. Is
    there no way around having to manually force it into automatic B mode?
    "the network mode is now controlled by the PRL ID and the cell towers"

Is this even true???
    if you look at my post on page two - I also received a response from "AJ" who gave me a different response. I am writing back to them...
    no. that's not true. there isn't a single other phone on the market that behaves this way. I also listed my email conversation with them which I put up verbatim.
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    Interesting that they have come out with a new explanation. What I don't understand is why some phones seem to have the problem while others do not, at least, according to the responses I have read?
    Global Posts
    882 Global Posts
    I say that we get out the pich forks and the torches adn go hunting for the Palm monsters.
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    I dropped a note to Bill Andres from Mountainwiresl.com with the Palm response and got the following reply. I also sent the same info to verizon technical support and that long response should appear in a separate post.

His response:
    "Yes, the Auto B mode is always over-ridden by the PRL. The only time the phone will obey "Auto A or B" is when it finds no signal from the PRL which is rare. The Auto A/B selection is only applicable to carriers that don't use a PRL."

Bill Andrus
    MountainWireless.com
    Denver
    Subject: Trying to determine the veracity of a statement about the Verizon network

I got this email from a Palm customer support person in reference to a problem with a phone staying in the “Home” mode and not staying in Automatic B when set there. Is what they are saying true? Would like your opinion. Thanks.
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    Here is the Verizon response (long):

Thank you for contacting our Verizon Wireless website. We are sorry to learn that you are having difficulty with the System Select setting of your Palm Treo 700w. We are happy to assist you with your question.

We understand your frustration when the device does not work as expected. The feature that allows you set a cellular device for Home, Automatic A or B is called the System Select feature. You should be able to set this option to whichever setting is desirable for your area, at anytime. You should be able to set this option and the setting should remain set until you change it, or run the Over-the-Air programming feature, which should set this option to setting that corresponds to your area.

There are only certain situations where a device should be placed in Home only because this option functions more as a security setting that prevents the device from being used when it travels outside of its defined local area.

We do not mean to dispute what Palm has advised you; however, they may have gotten your inquiry confused with another feature. The System Select option is not controlled by the network; therefore, you should set your device to the appropriate System Select option, which for you is Automatic A, so that when you return to Brattleboro, VT you will not need to physically change this setting. We apologize for the confusion.

Palm may have gotten your inquiry confused with another feature called the Preferred Roaming List (PRL). The PRL supersedes the System Select option, except for the case where the System Select is set to Home only, since Home only prevents the device from working when outside the local area. The PRL will dictate which cellular network, or cellular towers, you are to use when traveling in different areas across the country. If the area that you are in is not included with the PRL, then the System Select is used to determine which network, or towers, your device is to use. This situation does not happen too often; however, it is imperative that your System Select is provisioned properly so that if you happen to enter such an area, your device will function properly, as some features may not work if your device picks up the wrong network. You, also, may experience unexpected billing issues if your device picks up the wrong network.

To set your device, please do the following:

1. Go to Start
    2. Go to Settings
    3. Go to Phone
    4. Go to Network
    5. Go to Band selection and chose Automatic A
    6. Tap OK

In our troubleshooting of your issue, we were unable to duplicate your issue with our demo Treo 700w device that has the current Palm software update, version 1.10. We did notice that when we ran our Over-the-Air programming that the device automatically set itself to the System Select setting that corresponds to the area that we reside; however, we were able to change the setting and the setting was saved and did not change on its own. If your device is not maintaining the System Select option you have chosen, then you may have an issue with the device, in which we will need to suggest running our Over-the-Air programming to see if that will correct the problem, if not, then resetting the device to see if that corrects the issue.

To run the Over-the-Air programming, do the following:

1. Go to your Main Screen
    2. Go to Menu (Lower right corner)
    3. Go to Dial Pad
    4. Make an outgoing call to *22899
    5. Follow the prompts on the screen

Check your settings, if the settings are still incorrect, then, backup your data and reset your device.

To perform a soft reset, do the following:

1. Press the Battery Door Release button and slide the battery door downward to remove it from your Treo.
    2. Use the tip of the stylus to gently press the reset button on the back of your Treo.
    3. The device has been soft reset

Test the Treo and if the issue still exists, follow the instructions below to perform a hard reset:

Please note the following:

- A hard reset will erase everything on your Treo, so make sure your data is backed up before you do this.
    - Also, you may need to re-enter third-party software registration codes when you restore your data later, so keep these handy or request them from the third-party software vendor before proceeding.

To perform a hard reset:

1. Remove and then replace the battery: Press the Battery Door Release button and slide the battery door downward to remove it from your Treo. Now remove the battery from the Treo.
    2. Replace the battery into the Treo while holding down the Power/End button.
    3. A message will appear warning that you are about to erase all the data stored on your handheld. In response, press UP to complete the hard reset.
    4. Perform initialization (digitize screen, select language, etc.).
    Note: If the "Erase all data?" prompt does not appear repeat the process and ensure you hold the Power/End button.

If the resets do not correct the issue, then we recommend that you please contact the Wireless Data Technical Support department at your convenience. Our representatives are available 24 hours per day and may be reached by dialing: 1-800-922-0204 and selecting option number 3. Speaking with you in person is the only way to ensure that we have investigated all possible factors that may contribute to your handsets behavior. Our support technicians will obtain the necessary information and if necessary make arrangements to have your PDA replaced.

If you have further questions or concerns, please write to us again through www.VerizonWireless.com. We appreciate your business and thank you for choosing Verizon Wireless.

Sincerely,

Bernard
    Verizon Wireless
    Data Technical Support
    okay...so in one of the auto settings, the phone uses the prl list....in Home it does not...correct? Obviously you want the PRL list.
    Hard resets do not solve the problem.
    Soft resets do not solve the problem.
    *228 does not solve the problem.
    I've heard, if they soft reset the demo phone, it will behave the same way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul G
    okay...so in one of the auto settings, the phone uses the prl list....in Home it does not...correct? Obviously you want the PRL list.
    Hard resets do not solve the problem.
    Soft resets do not solve the problem.
    *228 does not solve the problem.
    I've heard, if they soft reset the demo phone, it will behave the same way.
    Nothing solves this problem.

Their demo/simulated phones reportedly do not have this issue.
  13. SHV
    here's a question: if one has the VZW America's Choice plan, could it be that the "Home" Setting contains all of the known PRL towers/carriers across the country? That would explain why the 700 appears to work while traveling, even in extended network areas sometimes.
    This is interesting, because mine has this problem as well (always reverts back to HOME), however, last month I was traveling in Taiwan, and my phone worked, even though it was on HOME.
    I have even traveled to Canada, and it works. I switch it to Auto B, but it reverts back to Home, but it doesnt seem to affect my service.

Maybe SHV (last post) has a point
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    I have been in rural parts of the midwest and had no signal at all on my 700w. My wife's LG had full bars on the extended network. As soon as I changed the 700w network setting from Home to Auto B, the 700w also had full bars on the extended network. Therefore, for at least my phone, the setting does make a difference. That is why the problem is such a nuisance, especially when traveling.
    Quote Originally Posted by SHV
    here's a question: if one has the VZW America's Choice plan, could it be that the "Home" Setting contains all of the known PRL towers/carriers across the country? That would explain why the 700 appears to work while traveling, even in extended network areas sometimes.
    My thoughts exactly. That's why VZ recommends updating your phone with *22899 once a month. I do know that my phone has to be changed to Auto B when I'm at the gym so it will pick up an Altell tower located behind the building. Otherwise, I don't get a good signal. Could be that the Altell tower isn't part of the current PRL.
    "I can't travel 35 minutes west of Washington,DC on the home setting."

I tend to agree with those who say it doesnt matter - I regularly travel from DC to the Blue Ridge Mountains and maintain phone coverage and Internet access. (which I could not do with my 600) I am using an Altel tower down there - the phone shows it as Extended Verizon Network. I checked and the phone is set to Home and I have never changed it.
    Quote Originally Posted by katiegm
    "I can't travel 35 minutes west of Washington,DC on the home setting."

I tend to agree with those who say it doesnt matter - I regularly travel from DC to the Blue Ridge Mountains and maintain phone coverage and Internet access. (which I could not do with my 600) I am using an Altel tower down there - the phone shows it as Extended Verizon Network. I checked and the phone is set to Home and I have never changed it.
    Do you go out 66? When I travel up 270 I loose signal as soon as I crest the mountain chain 2 miles after getting on 70 in Frederick if I am in the home mode and I don't get any signal at least all the way to Breezewood. Once I switch to auto B I have coverage most of the way.

It does matter.
    FWIW

Thought I found a work-around for one problem...

I had the problem with it reverting back to Home after I left the settings menu.

I noticed that if I set it to the desired network then instead of pressing "ok" I moved left into the "service" settings and then pressed OK the setting would stick.

I did a hard-reset the other day though and now the initial problem with it losing the setting right-away seems to have gone away.

Buster
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster452
    FWIW

Thought I found a work-around for one problem...

I had the problem with it reverting back to Home after I left the settings menu.

I noticed that if I set it to the desired network then instead of pressing "ok" I moved left into the "service" settings and then pressed OK the setting would stick.

I did a hard-reset the other day though and now the initial problem with it losing the setting right-away seems to have gone away.

Buster
    Tried that and after a soft reset the Home setting is back. I just got off the phone with Verizon and they are sending me a new phone. We'll see.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast