Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Well I'm not entirely convinced it's something to be concerned about. Because I've been to some places on "home" that are less then bustling cities.

Palm:
    As indicated in our previous email response, your concern has been forwarded to our product engineers as a feature request.

Customer:
    This makes no sense. There isn't a single phone on the market that does this including the treo 650 and 600. The home setting does not alone one to roam at all - you can't pick up any tower other than a verizon tower. One should be able to have the setting maintained after a soft reset, especially on a phone that has to be reset daily due to the memory leaks that this phone suffers from. This issue must be fixed in a patch.

Palm:
    Thank you for contacting Palm Treo 700W email Technical Support. My name is XX and I will be assisting you with your issue. I do apologize my original email was not as clear as it should have been on this issue. The Treo 700W will always revert back to "Home" after a soft or hard reset. This is the way it is designed to function. I was referring you to Verizon to inquire why you are not roaming properly in their network, and for any resolution or workaround from their side. I have also relayed this to our product engineers as a feature request for new products.

Customer:
    This is not a Verizon network issue. It is a palm or wm5 issue. The phone will not retain the setting when it is soft reset or the phone radio is turned off.

Palm:
    Thank you for contacting Palm Treo 700W email Technical Support. My name is XX and I will be assisting you with your issue. The issue you are referring to is a network issue and can only be supported by Verizon. Please contact Verizon at 1-800-922-0204 for further support of this issue.

Big surprise.

I can't travel 35 minutes west of Washington,DC on the home setting.
    The XV6700 I tested, with a Texas based phone number, didn't do this. It came to me with Auto B activated and left the same way.
    Verizon is a "b" carrier, and the correct setting is "automatic b"
    See my original post linked early in this thread.
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    I find it interesting that when I manually selected "automatic B" when in an extended network area, that the phone went back to the "home" setting by itself without a soft reset when I went out of cell range. This means, presumably, that it cycled through the settings to find one that worked, but ended at "home". Once at "home" it could not ascertain when I was back in an "extended network" area. This is like it used to be back in the analog days. It is quite unacceptable and may cause me to drop the treo.
    My phone is set on automatic B. I turn it off, perform soft resets, and it remains there. No problems for me so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimness
    My phone is set on automatic B. I turn it off, perform soft resets, and it remains there. No problems for me so far.
    My Treo also roams to extended networks with HOME selected. The only downside in my area is that the extended network carrier, US Cellular, does not allow HTTPS connections on their network. Hence my phone will not activesync with my exchange server when in an extended network area. This really bites. I can browse the internet, listen to streaming radio, but cannot get my mail.

I cannot for the life of me understand why Verizon does not put this requirement in their roaming agreements.
    ....or why they just don't patch the phone
    Global Posts
    882 Global Posts
    Has anyone checked with Verizon or is Verizon saying that is a Palm problem and Palm is saying that it is a Verizon problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by dimitri
    Has anyone checked with Verizon or is Verizon saying that is a Palm problem and Palm is saying that it is a Verizon problem?
    as you have read from peoople above, nyself included, it is not a problem for us. my guess is Verizon does not see this as a problem either.
    Here is an answer I got from Palm...

Thank you for contacting Palm Treo 700W email Technical Support. My name is A.J.
    and I will be assisting you with your issue. You cannot have the Treo stop
    switching to "Home." This is normal behavior for the Palm Treo 700W, it will
    always switch back to the "Home" network.

Cordially,
    Palm Treo700w Support Team
    Quote Originally Posted by vader1
    Here is an answer I got from Palm...

Thank you for contacting Palm Treo 700W email Technical Support. My name is A.J.
    and I will be assisting you with your issue. You cannot have the Treo stop
    switching to "Home." This is normal behavior for the Palm Treo 700W, it will
    always switch back to the "Home" network.

Cordially,
    Palm Treo700w Support Team

I need a better excuse than that. I want to know why it is this way.
    I agree. I was told in an E-mail from Verizon:

"...if the device is stuck on
    Home, then the cellular portion will not function once you leave your
    local area."

Clearly this needs to be dealt with...it may or may not affect you depending on your area of travel, but it's a major bug
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul G
    I agree. I was told in an E-mail from Verizon:

"...if the device is stuck on
    Home, then the cellular portion will not function once you leave your
    local area."

Clearly this needs to be dealt with...it may or may not affect you depending on your area of travel, but it's a major bug

I have the North America's Choice plan since I travel in Canada. I haven't been there since I got my 700w, but I'll bet I run into problems. The acid test will be in about 3 weeks.
  15. SHV
    Deltaflyer, I went to Montreal and Quebec City last month, and had no problems with the voice and data on the 700W. Emails synched, etc. I have America's choice, so I roamed.

My phone reverts to the home setting, BTW. I am unconvinced that, in some of the fringe areas of ND/MN, that this isn't an issue though.
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    Just spent a half hour on the phone with Verizon on this issue. They said, that the problem with reverting to the "home" mode is a problem with the Palm update. The phone should "always be in the network B" mode when traveling.

The solution is to "hard reset" the phone. I have not had time to do a new backup of software and data and to go through the hard reset process.

Has anyone done this and sucessfully cured the problem? They also said that if this did not work then they would refer me to Palm for a solution. Lovely.
    don't hard reset. it doesn't fix the problem. and it is a problem that existed BEFORE the update.

Palm doesn't have a solution. Neither does VZW.
    correct...hard reset does nothing, and this occurs in most from the box
    see the thing with this is "issue" shouldn't be a problem..

The problem is that Microsft's WM5 is unstable..

You guys complain about it not keeping the setting after a reset.
    Now I don't know about you guys but the only reason why the device needs to be reset is because:
    1- the phone crash because of x or y program
    2- for some reason the phone is acting wierd and memory leaks is causing it to slow down.

The OS is not stable. now if the OS is stable you would just do the setting once and not have to worry about it for a long time..

I just switched to a 700w from my Sidekick II less than 2 weeks ago and I average the need to softreset 2-3 times a day. Some programs seem to crash it easily like Agile messenger but regardless of programs it seems to have less and less memory even tho I really close programs I don't use... (and yes I did the palm update)

when I had my sideKick II. I experience maybe less than 5 crash in the 1.5 years I had it. (I can't recall the last time it crash, as it was so rare). That thing is ROCK SOLID.

btw: how is the stability of the 650 treo?
    Quote Originally Posted by geniv2
    see the thing with this is "issue" shouldn't be a problem..

The problem is that Microsft's WM5 is unstable..

You guys complain about it not keeping the setting after a reset.
    Now I don't know about you guys but the only reason why the device needs to be reset is because:
    1- the phone crash because of x or y program
    2- for some reason the phone is acting wierd and memory leaks is causing it to slow down.

The OS is not stable. now if the OS is stable you would just do the setting once and not have to worry about it for a long time..

I just switched to a 700w from my Sidekick II less than 2 weeks ago and I average the need to softreset 2-3 times a day. Some programs seem to crash it easily like Agile messenger but regardless of programs it seems to have less and less memory even tho I really close programs I don't use... (and yes I did the palm update)

when I had my sideKick II. I experience maybe less than 5 crash in the 1.5 years I had it. (I can't recall the last time it crash, as it was so rare). That thing is ROCK SOLID.

btw: how is the stability of the 650 treo?
    I have to respectfully disagree...to a point. WM5 instability isn't causing this issue. I tested a VX6700 that ran WM5 and it stayed on Auto B for the entire 30 day trial period. It's a phone issue period.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast