1.    #1  
    Ok ... Here goes. I bought my Treo 700w about 3 weeks ago. I am still trying to figure it all out. Sometimes it retrieves my pop3 emails sometimes it does not. (usually have to manually hit send and recieve) Next ... The freaking thing freezes up at least once a day. It this common??? This is my first smart phone. I came over from nextel. It was the Treo 700w or the VZN 6700. I choose the 700 because of the voice activation. Anyway, please bare with me. And can someone please tell me how to update this thing? Do I need to? It says that I have Microsoft version 5.1.1780. Is that the latest version? Someone please let me know. Thanks
    something is not right...out of the box your treo shouldnt be causing you to reset your 700w once a day.

The polling of pop email is a mystery to me as well..even though i would set the schedule it would be hit or miss.

The update is cool but it opens up a new set of problems that i'm sure u can read on the first page fo this forum.
    www.luxozine.com
    Sport Elegance Delivered
    Quote Originally Posted by manoli70
    Ok ... Here goes. I bought my Treo 700w about 3 weeks ago. I am still trying to figure it all out. Sometimes it retrieves my pop3 emails sometimes it does not. (usually have to manually hit send and recieve) Next ... The freaking thing freezes up at least once a day. It this common??? This is my first smart phone. I came over from nextel. It was the Treo 700w or the VZN 6700. I choose the 700 because of the voice activation. Anyway, please bare with me. And can someone please tell me how to update this thing? Do I need to? It says that I have Microsoft version 5.1.1780. Is that the latest version? Someone please let me know. Thanks
    You need to look in the phone portion of the "about", it's that software version that you are looking for. If you bought the phone 3 weeks ago, there is really no way it has the current update on it - as phones bought today at VZN don't have the update. Your phone will probably have "TREO700W-1.02-VZW" and needs to be updated to "TREO700W-1.10-VZW".

Follow the directions here to update it:

http://www.palm.com/us/support/downl...r/verizon.html

It will take you about 30 minutes or so to complete, follow the directions to the letter.

I would update. The made some significant improvements in the latest software and it's worth the update.

Your freezing issue is strange and as the post said above that should not be happening. What software did you install on your own (if any). Could be a 3rd party app causing that - I have my Treo 700w for about a week and haven't had one freeze yet...
    Siemens S46 -> Siemens S56 -> Motorola MPx200 -> Moto v600 -> Audiovox SMT5600 -> Treo 650 -> Motorola Q (14 days) -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700w -> Treo 750
    If your phone is giving you that much trouble out of the box, your best bet might be to exchange it before messing with the software update...you may very well have a hardware problem.
    And, by the way, an invitation to "bare with me" doesn't belong on a G-rated site like this one!
  5.    #5  
    Thanks to all for the heads up. I will check out the version. The only 3rd party software that I installed was shape services. It is an im software (trial) I need a good im soft ware. I use yahoo and this was, to me, the only known software. Does anbody have any alternatives? Also I cannot figure out this sync thing to save my life. What is th edifference between "Sync" and "sync express" Do I need this thing running? I do not have an exchange server at work. Our email sys. is pop3.
  6.    #6  
    "The update is cool but it opens up a new set of problems that i'm sure u can read on the first page fo this forum."
    Can you please tell me where I can find this info? Thanks.