1.    #1  
    because i don't want to use my treo as a laptop replacement, there are times i'd like to use it as a wireless modem since wifi is not always as readily available (and/or free) as the evdo network...

for this i found pdanet, which in theory sounds great but the only problem is i can't get it working. i've searched and read prior threads on this, but my symptoms aren't exactly like the previous issues reported. can anyone give me some help here? it would be much appreciated. i sent an email to support but haven't heard back so i thought i'd try here...

in followed the instructions exactly and i can now see that the application is installed on both my phone and on the laptop i'd like to use it on. i'm running windows xp. i also restarted both the phone (soft reset) and the laptop after installation was successfully completed.

i then took the phone & laptop to where i did not have any connectivity, attached the phone via usb port to my laptop, but both devices were saying that they could not connect.

on the laptop...
    pda desktop in the system tray says: "Device Not Attached" (even though i am able to see it and activesync 4.1 has connected to it successfully)
    when i click on 'connect usb' it says: unable to connect to pdanet on your device. please make sure it is running and the pdanet icon is active in the today screen'

on the phone...
    pdanet icon is showing on the system tray in the today screen. seleting 'connect (usb) gives the following error message: unable to connect. please attach your device to your pc and make sure pdanet desktop is running on the pc'

this seems prety straightforward that both sides are up & running yet i'm unable to get them to recognize it.

if more information is necessary to debug this situation just ask for more! i'd really like to get this working as it would be vital to my ability to be accessible and able to debug issues for my company 24/7

***UPDATE 5/10***

after running through many different configurations & installs & uninstalls i finally identified what the problem was- i had used the usbswitch serial switchback utility and the setting was on 'serial'. i had tried this to get some earlier activesync issues worked out but forgot to switch it back. once i switched back to RNDIS USB, i was able to get pdanet working and i love the program. also, junefabrics support emailed me back earlier this evening asking specifically if i had switch to the SERIAL usb setting.... too bad i had already figured it out on my own! while their response time wasn't great, at least it shows they could accurately troubleshoot the problem- kudos to them on a great tool!
    Last edited by hotnow; 05/11/2006 at 02:40 AM. Reason: problem solved
    I've been using pdaNet for a while now, both on my old Treo650 and now on the 700w. First of all, when you say "where I did not have connectivity", I assume you mean WiFi for the laptop. Needless to say, if you don't have Cell service, pdaNet will not work. Second, I've experienced those errors occasionally and have always been able to clear them by rebooting the Treo or the laptop or both. Also, try running pdaNet from your Treo rather than from the laptop. Although in theory, both ways should work, sometimes I can only make it happen if initiated from the Treo.
    I always initiate from the Treo and have never had these issues before.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffCarlin
    I've been using pdaNet for a while now, both on my old Treo650 and now on the 700w. First of all, when you say "where I did not have connectivity", I assume you mean WiFi for the laptop. Needless to say, if you don't have Cell service, pdaNet will not work. Second, I've experienced those errors occasionally and have always been able to clear them by rebooting the Treo or the laptop or both. Also, try running pdaNet from your Treo rather than from the laptop. Although in theory, both ways should work, sometimes I can only make it happen if initiated from the Treo.

thanks for the response... and yes, you're correct i mean no wifi connectivity but evdo connectivity.

i've tried restarting both devices and also initiating it from the treo but still no dice.

are you connecting to an exchange server through activesync? i wonder if that has anything to do with it? i'm just a little bit flustered as to why it isn't working for me. was your setup very straightforward (install on machine, install on phone, click-click, go!) or did you have to do a lot of tinkering? my phone is not very customized and is running just the basics.
    Like you guessed, it was just a click-click install. Maybe try un-installing and re-installing??
  6.    #6  
    note the update:

***UPDATE 5/10***

after running through many different configurations & installs & uninstalls i finally identified what the problem was- i had used the usbswitch serial switchback utility and the setting was on 'serial'. i had tried this to get some earlier activesync issues worked out but forgot to switch it back. once i switched back to RNDIS USB, i was able to get pdanet working and i love the program. also, junefabrics support emailed me back earlier this evening asking specifically if i had switch to the SERIAL usb setting.... too bad i had already figured it out on my own! while their response time wasn't great, at least it shows they could accurately troubleshoot the problem- kudos to them on a great tool!
    Global Posts
    445 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hotnow
    note the update:

***UPDATE 5/10***

junefabrics support emailed me back earlier this evening asking specifically if i had switch to the SERIAL usb setting.... too bad i had already figured it out on my own! while their response time wasn't great, at least it shows they could accurately troubleshoot the problem- kudos to them on a great tool!
    Hotnow-
    I am having similar issues...where exactly is the Serial USB setting located?
    thx
    TRGpro --> Handera 330 --> SideKick I --> HP iPAQ H4355 (stolen) --> Navman PiN --> Treo 700w
  8.    #8  
    my problem is only appropriate if you installed the update... be sure you're using the RNDIS setting

from: http://www.palm.com/us/support/downl...tch/index.html

1) The USBSwitch Serial Switchback Utility is included when you install the Treo 700w Update. If you have not yet run the update, download it here. Return to this page after you've updated your smartphone.

2) On your smartphone: Press Start and select Programs, then File Explorer.

3) Navigate to My Device from the menu in the top left of your screen. Then select the Windows folder.

4) Locate UsbSwitch and tap on the file to run it.

5) You'll receive a confirmation dialog that says "Change completed successfully. This device will now connect using Serial USB." Select OK .

6) If this utility does not help with your synchronization issue, revert back to a RNDIS type connection: tap the USB Switch utility again. You'll see a confirmation dialog that says "Change completed successfully. This device will now connect using RNDIS USB."
    Global Posts
    445 Global Posts
    Thanks, got it working !
    TRGpro --> Handera 330 --> SideKick I --> HP iPAQ H4355 (stolen) --> Navman PiN --> Treo 700w