1.    #1  
    Hi,

I'm a student at NYU with a 700w and would like to get my email pushed. Does anyone know any solutions that would allow me get my email pushed and synchronized with my school's imap server?

I've looked into 4smartphone.net, but the problem with that, is it works by forwarding email to the 4smartphone.net account and then that gets pushed, which means any deletions, reading, etc. I do won't be reflected on my imap server when I log into my school email account via webmail or outlook on my PC, since the deletions are done on the emails/contacts in the 4smartphone.net account.
    Why not just connect an IMAP account and have it sync? What emails can you not wait five minutes for?
    I am so sick and tired of u peeps trying to make your point about repeated posts!
    So What if TC is cluttered w/ the same topic over and over and over and over and over, (am i at a dozen yet?) and over, and over, (just a sec, I have to up my meds), and over!
    Just call me Berd.
    berdickle...take a chill!

Jack was showing hime where the information he needed was.

what was he suposed to do...blow him?
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle
    I am so sick and tired of u peeps trying to make your point about repeated posts! So What if TC is cluttered w/ the same topic over and over and over and over and over, (am i at a dozen yet?) and over, and over, (just a sec, I have to up my meds), and over!
    I'm not quite sick....but I admit ... am a little tired .... of searching for the right link with a concise listing of the requested / needed info...and then finding I need to list 34 of them .

Hopefully mods will merge with one of the above.
    See Dutch,
    Jack got it.
    Sorry for giving u the impression I needed some Reproof
    I guess I should have: my previous post.
    ditto to your signature
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle
    See Dutch,
    Jack got it.
    I gotta admit, I didn't catch on till near the end tho
    I didn't want to be anymore frank. (pun)
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showp...18&postcount=3
    Just call me Berd.
    you know frank ?
  11.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Fry-man22
    Why not just connect an IMAP account and have it sync? What emails can you not wait five minutes for?
    It's not really that I can't wait five minutes for the email. The issue is that pulling mail drains more battery life than push and I want to preserve battery power.
  12.    #13  
    I appreciate you pointing me to these threads but they're not exactly what I'm looking for, as I've read them before. EMOZE is a desktop-redirector, which I don't want to use because my laptop isn't always connected to the internet. The problem with Chatter is that it's a Palm OS program (I have a 700w), and 4smartphone isn't any good because if you don't have control of your MX Record (I don't, as the school owns the server), you need to use mail forwarding, which is fine and dandy, but it won't sync with the IMAP server and insure that the status of various email items is the same via webmail, my laptop, and my Treo. I'd prefer not to have to read emails on my treo then mark them as read at home and on my laptop. 4smartphone's pull solution doesn't work either since it uses pop3 for that which has the same syncing problem.

Anyone have any solutions that doesn't have those issues? Something that'll push my school email to my treo and then connect to my school imap server based on me doing stuff on the treo (reading, deleting, etc.) and sync it with the state on my treo?

Thanks for your help!
    I am not sure you can do what you are asking...unless perhaps your school server offers the ability to sync with exchange. If that is the case, then setting up a hosted exchange account would do what you want.
    Global Posts
    271 Global Posts
    I guess I dont understand.... I thought 4smartphone "WAS" hosted exchange ? Thus AKU 2.0 "Push" mail...

So.. if you forward your mail to 4smartphone .... why would you worry about syncing to IMAP ?? Just FORWARD it to 4smartphone and DONT keep a copy on the University server...

We do this all the time for our Exchange server users.. we forward their email from Central email (Un*x IMAP) to Exchange.. and they NEVER look at IMAP again.. cause nothing is in there.. its all forwarded to Exchange.

Then just use 4smartphone for your main email !
    Quote Originally Posted by NYUStudent
    It's not really that I can't wait five minutes for the email. The issue is that pulling mail drains more battery life than push and I want to preserve battery power.
    That doesn't make sense. I pull my e-mail on average of twice a day....I charge my Treo every Friday nite. Most people using push report charging their Treos daily....many can't get a whole day. If you have push on it's always listening never dormant....or you are turning it on and telling it to listen every 5 or whatever minutes

Think about driving your car 200 miles.....would you get better mileage driving the 200 miles by starting up ya car driving 100 miles and turning it off and repeating that twice or by starting up ya car driving 5 miles and turning it off and repeating that 40 times.
    Your description of push mail is a bit off base, it really doesn't listen for the mail, it just maintains the data connection - a fine difference. When the message hits the IMAP server that supports the PUSH protocol, it is then moved or pushed onto whatever is logged into the service that matches the email address it received. My Sprint Treo 650 is never turned off, data always on and yes, I feed it as the need arises. I purchased it for its particular abilities and that's the price I pay. POP mail just does not meet my needs.

Ben
    Forgetting the semantics, whether you call it "listening" or "data connection on", doesn't that use power ? I kind of think of it as making a cell phone call somewhere (initiating the data conenction), getting thru (estalishing the connection) and leaving the phone of the hook at both ends (maintaining the connection) until someone is ready to speak (ready to send data).

Or as I mentioned, alternately you can tell a mail program to log on and log off every xx minutes which will save power.

Phones are typically rated for a certain amount of hours of usage an the "standby" number is always a heck of a lot bigger than the "talk time" number.

How long you go between charges with push on 24/7 ?
  18.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    That doesn't make sense. I pull my e-mail on average of twice a day....I charge my Treo every Friday nite. Most people using push report charging their Treos daily....many can't get a whole day. If you have push on it's always listening never dormant....or you are turning it on and telling it to listen every 5 or whatever minutes
    My treo lasts about 30 hours before going dead, with pulling email every 15 minutes and about 45 minutes of talk time in that period. A week without charging is pretty great I'm wondering how you manage that? How much do you talk in that period?

Although, I did have an odd occurence regarding battery life lately. I'm in Florida right now and for some reason I've noticed a remarkable improvement in battery life. On Wed I unpluggged my phone from the charger at 9 AM and was in NY until about 4 when I boarded a flight to Florida, when I turned the wireless radio in the phone off for the flight at which point it was 62% or so (so -38% drain in about 7 hours). I arrived in Florida around 7 PM on Wednesday and have had the phone on since that time, talking and pulling email as normal (no change in usage patterns, phone was around 60% when I arrived but the wireless radio was off). Right now, 41 hours later it's at 25% percent, which is way better than it has ever lasted in NY (max around 33 hours until dead). Any ideas why this is happening?