Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hoping to get input from other owners how to address some of the areas that many of you might relate to as a common problem that was routine with my Treo 650. These are some that just come to mind after having the device fr 3-4 weeks. There are a few more but I'll add them as I remember.

1) Automatic disconnect from the Internet after checking mail or time out after a period of inactivity. So far my understanding is not addressed.

2) Calls that you take in call waiting hang up when the other part hangs up or some manual way to disconnect one call with disconnecting both - serious problem since you WILL be billed for BOTH calls for the entire duration even though party A has long hung up

3) View by name/small icon - Drives me nuts that in Windows Mobile you have to scroll like a maniac because all the icons are large. Has it not dawned on anyone in years that maybe we can view by name or small icon because we can see far more items on screen at a time without scrolling?

4) Hierarchical menus - Drives me nuts that this isn't the case either. Is there an app that allows me to put a folder in the start menu and will go to a submenu for the items in it? This is version 5 right? The process is only 7 items, go to programs folder and scroll like mad. Palm OS offered numerous launchers and the folder system also made it convenient to just keep pushing one button to get to your games folder, utilities, etc.

5) Turn off ActiveStink except when you want to connect? With Palm Sync you hit the button and you're done. Otherwise putting the phone in the cradle allows it to charge politely and use it as well. With AS my phone ALWAYS connects. It's like a never ending connection doing something that practically locks up the phone when it is connected. I did the Dell Axim hack to say connect manually but even doing so doesn't change the sync from going off every minute even when it is FINALLY done connecting.

5b) Is there a way to STOP Active Sync from loading even after a soft reset and when you aren't even connected? Why is the damn thing running taking up space?

6) Easy backup of everything to the PC, including SMS, etc. What is really irritating is that doing a hard reset and resync will only sync data from certain items. What I LOVED about Palm is that the Palm Sync (or whatever else I added in) would also save all your SMS messages and other items of that nature. Doing a Sprite backup every time is a laborious process. Active Sync alone feels like it connects forever even if I just add one contact.

7) SMS - Inadequate. We know this but so far I understand there is no decent application. Email is a close second but at least Outlook is somewhat usable.

8) Button Mapping - For heaven's sake, couldn't WM version 5 have hotkeys in apps to perform certain common tasks easily? I don't see shortcuts in the menus either. Snappermail is the greatest example of being able to just hit the "D" key when an email is selected to delete. Made handling spam so easy. Didn't realize how beautiful that program is to use. Tried Vito Buttons but it screwed up my 700w and choosing Settings folder always routed me to the ActiveSynce App. Potentially incompatible at the moment.

9) Today Screen that will list meetings and tasks in small fonts (screen maximized) and that doesn't take up a boatload of memory. Right now I'm using Calendar+ which isn't perfect but it's pretty good just for meetings. Condenses everything but doesn't do notes. The others that do unfortunately are either memory hogs or don't do the job properly. Agendus for Palm has a GREAT split screen. It's a delight to use. Datebk is also a favorite of others.

10) Utility that can recover RAM -- this wasn't a Palm problem but I am getting apps quitting on me (PocketStreamer) because with no apps running I still only have 7-8MB of RAM apparently. The FreeUP RAM application that I got with SK Tools apparently is not compatible because it locks up my Treo. I find a good deal of SK Tools not compatible, unfortunately. --> Trying it out again and will wait longer to see if FreeUP RAM works properly. Can take 3+ minutes to recover ram ATM.

11) WiFi utility that doesn't lock up The Treo after it the screen goes out and you try to wake it. I have an Go card and the Socket software does this. I think there is a freeware utility that is supposedly good or someone else can let me know if there is an incompatibility.

12) Changing the light to let you know when you have voice or electronic mail. Butler with the Treo 650 was AMAZING. I can't find any good equivalent on Windows Mobile 5.

13) RAM deficiencies -- You can't add memory on either unfortunately. May Palm rot in hell and the decisionmakers who are responsible be blessed with poison ivy in their shorts. That aside, what is causing so much memory to be eaten up in the system? We know that Today screens can do it, e.g. Pocket Breeze, SPB Diary, etc. But I don't have those? Is it the number of aliases in the Start folder's Programs folder? What causes that "in use by System" number to go up and, in my case, skyrocket unreasonably?
    Last edited by treoshmeo; 05/07/2006 at 08:08 PM.
    Great summary. Several of your points have been addressed but this was a good format.

I really have to agree with #3 - why is there no alternate view for the programs and settings especially??
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Write to all the Palm OS 3rd party developers and beg them to port their apps to WM!

Let them know that Palm OS is dying a slow death so they might as well start now
    Global Posts
    445 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RaeRae

I really have to agree with #3 - why is there no alternate view for the programs and settings especially??

I know there is a 3rd party app somewhere out there that you can change the appearance of the Program Files to either small icons (2 columns) or just text....i ran across the site a while ago, but the name is slipping my mind...perhaps someone knows what I am talking about...
    TRGpro --> Handera 330 --> SideKick I --> HP iPAQ H4355 (stolen) --> Navman PiN --> Treo 700w
    This is a good list. Some very good points in there. My favorites are the points addressing the lack of software solutions. I am more amazed every day at the lack of 3rd party software support. I tried the VITO button mapper also and was unimpressed. It didn't work well in my RAM limited lifestyle. I'm starting to think the limited RAM available is hampering some developers efforts. Maybe not though. In the end, alot of the issues wouldn't exist if we just had enough RAM.

I need to find a today screen app that doesn't hog memory also. Every time I load one my phone gets bogged down. When I remove them the phone still doesn't work as well as before. Can someone list them all. I am just going to take a day where I hard reset and load just the today app. See how well it works and then hard reset and try the next. Matter of fact, I am a little restless tonight. I think I will give it a go now.
    14) Why can't we have a reasonable IM solution that doesn't disconnect after the phone and connection go idle? I mean the sidekicks have an AIM and YIM client that work quite well - there's no reason the 700w doesn't have a built-in solution for this.
    1) Automatic disconnect from the Internet after checking mail or time out after a period of inactivity. So far my understanding is not addressed.
    Mine does this if I don't have push mail turned on.

4) Hierarchical menus - Drives me nuts that this isn't the case either. Is there an app that allows me to put a folder in the start menu and will go to a submenu for the items in it? This is version 5 right? The process is only 7 items, go to programs folder and scroll like mad. Palm OS offered numerous launchers and the folder system also made it convenient to just keep pushing one button to get to your games folder, utilities, etc.
    3rd Party apps do this: Smallmenu GSPocketMagic+ Wisbar, etc.

5) Turn off ActiveStink except when you want to connect? With Palm Sync you hit the button and you're done. Otherwise putting the phone in the cradle allows it to charge politely and use it as well. With AS my phone ALWAYS connects. It's like a never ending connection doing something that practically locks up the phone when it is connected. I did the Dell Axim hack to say connect manually but even doing so doesn't change the sync from going off every minute even when it is FINALLY done connecting.

5b) Is there a way to STOP Active Sync from loading even after a soft reset and when you aren't even connected? Why is the damn thing running taking up space?

The "Axim Fix" (google it) solved both of these for me.

6) Easy backup of everything to the PC, including SMS, etc. What is really irritating is that doing a hard reset and resync will only sync data from certain items. What I LOVED about Palm is that the Palm Sync (or whatever else I added in) would also save all your SMS messages and other items of that nature. Doing a Sprite backup every time is a laborious process. Active Sync alone feels like it connects forever even if I just add one contact.
    The old full version of Sprite did this. I haven't tried it with the latest. I just backup everything to my card and save my backups to my PC.

9) Today Screen that will list meetings and tasks in small fonts (screen maximized) and that doesn't take up a boatload of memory. Right now I'm using Calendar+ which isn't perfect but it's pretty good just for meetings. Condenses everything but doesn't do notes. The others that do unfortunately are either memory hogs or don't do the job properly. Agendus for Palm has a GREAT split screen. It's a delight to use. Datebk is also a favorite of others.
    PocketBreeze
    Beryl - does Pocketbreeze slow your device down at all? Also, out the apps mention for #4. Which one would you say works the best without slowing down the device. I need any solution that I use to not slow down the device. Since my calls are important I really hate missing one because my device was slow to wake up. Especially when it's a blocked call and no message is left.
    BigTreo, most task managers have low overhead.
    I use Wisbar Lite because I like the way it refreshes itself as menu items changes, the battery bar, and how you can close out everything using its Close/OK.
    SmallMenu (free or fee) is good too.
    GSPocketMagic+ is free and I occasionally bring it up for the copy/cut/paste feature

None of these interfere with my phone.

I don't use Pocketbreeze right now because I don't use the default calendar. It does have some overhead but if you use it instead of the builtin plugins, you should not notice much difference.
  10.    #10  
    15) Hoping this is just lack of knowledge, but it makes me crazy to try to scroll, especially editing email or SMS messages, as it is all linear meaning that cursor starts and the begining and pushing the 5-way button down puts you at the END of the document. The only way to go to the next line is to push the 5-way to the right and PAINFULLY scroll the cursor through all the characters or whip out the stylus and place the cursor where you want it. On the Palm OS, pushing the down button places the cursor on the next line directly below where the cursor was one line up. It is SO much more efficient that way.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Beryl
    Mine does this if I don't have push mail turned on.
    I don't know how since nobody else's seems to work this way. Regardless, there is no control so you can't set it to stay either connected or to hang up as you want it.

3rd Party apps do this: Smallmenu GSPocketMagic+ Wisbar, etc.
    Thanks - will check out smallmenu. Wisbar wont work for me as I have SOB Pocket Plus which does a lot of the same things. Looks like smallmenu may also have a small footprint and if it works it will be a lifesaver.

Again, you must be lucky because most are reporting like myself, that once you connect the cable it will set off AS to start syncing. It might be other applications that override the AS setting, e.g. like AvantGO, etc. This is unbearable if it is the case since the master setting doesn't act like the master setting.

The "Axim Fix" (google it) solved both of these for me.
    I remember AS didn't always load but now it does. Again, could it be third party software that is doing this and AS settings are not the trump? I had the same apps so I don't think this is the case. I know I have the Axim fix in there because without it my 700w would lock up after the lights went out thanks to AS.

PocketBreeze
    I used to use it but it hits the system for at least half a MB minimum. This is probably because it has so many cool options that also can really cause slowness on the today screen, e.g. the advanced contacts, tasks, notes, etc. viewable on the today screen tabs. I had PB only load up appointments and it still hit my system for the .5MB chunk.

I don't know how but installing a few more apps has my system memory, MAX, at around 12.3MB now. I don't think the others load up with the system except Calendar+ and SPB Pocket Plus. What is causing the memory loss of almost 2 MB? ANyone have an idea?

Of note, the problem with using Wisbar or the other add ins you describe are the additional system hit and slowness, especially if you are using another app that is similar and there is a tremendous amount of overlap, e.g. pocketplus. You have to choose one carefully since RAM is SUCH a premium and the more you add the more clearly slowly the device moves/crawls.
    Last edited by treoshmeo; 05/08/2006 at 11:06 PM.
    Treoshmeo - I recommend Wisbar Lite not Wisbar Advance. The former has the small footprint.

Also, I uncheck all of the sync options when I just want connect my Treo for PDANet.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinmg
    14) Why can't we have a reasonable IM solution that doesn't disconnect after the phone and connection go idle? I mean the sidekicks have an AIM and YIM client that work quite well - there's no reason the 700w doesn't have a built-in solution for this.
    Microsoft Office Communicator Mobile
    Quote Originally Posted by gex
    Microsoft Office Communicator Mobile
    I don't think it's a stand alone app gex...it's part of Live Commnication Server suite and is intended for customers of Live Communication Server and Live Meeting...not really an easy or cheap solution to what is on the Sidekick...
    Siemens S46 -> Siemens S56 -> Motorola MPx200 -> Moto v600 -> Audiovox SMT5600 -> Treo 650 -> Motorola Q (14 days) -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700w -> Treo 750
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    true dat.. true dat..

How about $7/month? toooo much??? How much would you be willing to pay?

Licensing fees are pricy right now for LCS hosting so there’s not a lot of room

...but its mega cool
    $7 a month is not bad if it's really mega cool!

I'll have to check it out some more, I actually am going to need a good IM client on my Treo700w for my new job...
    Siemens S46 -> Siemens S56 -> Motorola MPx200 -> Moto v600 -> Audiovox SMT5600 -> Treo 650 -> Motorola Q (14 days) -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700w -> Treo 750
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    .. of course there will be a free 2 week trial so you can judge for yourself....

Now if I can just get all these contract signed and the business incorporated so i can gain access to the proper licensed media rather than the development only TechNet versions were using in the beta deployment... realistically I still see it being a month out if not longer.
  18.    #18  
    BigTreo, most task managers have low overhead.
    I use Wisbar Lite because I like the way it refreshes itself as menu items changes, the battery bar, and how you can close out everything using its Close/OK.
    SmallMenu (free or fee) is good too.
    GSPocketMagic+ is free and I occasionally bring it up for the copy/cut/paste feature

None of these interfere with my phone.

I don't use Pocketbreeze right now because I don't use the default calendar. It does have some overhead but if you use it instead of the builtin plugins, you should not notice much difference.
    Fantastic choices, thanks. Either one should do the trick although they work differently.

Now I would LOVE to find something that will allow me to scroll in email the way the damn thing should, push down on the 5-way button and you go to the next line, not end of document. I cannot keep scrolling across 1,200 characters and must whip out the stylus, tough to do on a crowded train. Anyone? This is one of the ultimate one-handed killers on the 700w.
    Actually, it doesn't scroll to the end of the document. it scrolls to the last visible line of the previous "scroll". On shorter messages, this may seem to the end of the document. You just get used to reading to the end of the page then scroll down.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Moncha
    Actually, it doesn't scroll to the end of the document. it scrolls to the last visible line of the previous "scroll". On shorter messages, this may seem to the end of the document. You just get used to reading to the end of the page then scroll down.
    Yes... technically you are correct. But this is still enough to make one go insane trying to edit a simple email without the stylus. If you've got just 10 lines of text on the screen and each one has 40 characters, on a Palm it takes 5 keystrokes down on the 5-way to get down to line 5. On the PPC you have to scroll across through 200+ characters to get to the same place.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast