1.    #1  
    One of my big gripes with WM is its complete obliteration of simple, smooth, one handed navigation in many places. Apparently Palm added a little and SPB adds some very needed enhancements. What I REALLY MISS is the ability to drop down a menu on a Palm using a button and then scroll horizontally across menu options using the 5 way button. I can't understand why in WM FIVE the left menu button still doesn't drop down the first menu allowing you to do the same. Has anyone solved this other than whipping out the stylus?
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Not quite sure if I understand what your trying to do but try using right and left on the directional D-Pad.

You should not have to use the stylus for 98% of what you do on the 700w.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by gex
    Not quite sure if I understand what your trying to do but try using right and left on the directional D-Pad.

You should not have to use the stylus for 98% of what you do on the 700w.
    I find it's more like 60% with the 700w unfortunately. In any app if you are on the Palm OS and you have menus like File, Edit, View, About going across the screen horizontally - on top on a Palm OS and on the bottom menu on WM. If you hit the menu key on the Palm the File menu will drop down. If you want to get to Edit, View and About you just hit the 5 way (D-pad is what you call it) and go to the right and each menu will drop down, one at a time. If you want to go to edit-copy, you just scroll over once to the right and then down and enter to select that choice. It's that simple and beautiful.

In ewallet you have New - View - Tools in the bottom nav and the only way to access those menus is to whip out the bloody stylus.

Another one is how do you get to the menus on TOP of the data? For example, if you are in File Explorer or Resco Explorer there is a menu in the bottom nav and then there is the dropdown in the top nav that allows you to drop down from the folder you are in and navigate and the one on the right allows you to choose to sort by name, view, etc. The bottom two buttons only allow you to go "up" and "menu." While the bottom two you use the hard buttons, how do I use the 5 way to simply navigate to the dropdowns for the folder nav and the sorting??? You can use the 5 way which will pop you from the top choice into the top menu.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Yup.. 5-way.. dont know where i got D-pad from

I see what your saying.. but this is not a problem with the 700w... you need to upgrade your apps to Windows Mobile 5 versions!!! Ewallet has a free upgrade... install that and report back... any app wirtten for Windows Mobile 2003 will require the stylus for menu access...

....using WM2003 apps SUCK for one handed operation! Really, really sucks...so much that I dont use them.. like newsbreak... that was my favorite app on WM2003 and when I got used to one handed use with the 700w it was so hard to pull out the stylus that I almost stoped using it entirely until they came out with the Windows Mobile 5 version.. it rocks now.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks Gex. I think I AM using the WM5 versions! I'll make a list of apps but I have noticed that most of my WM5 apps that dont have this problem are just a convoluted 2 dropdown system for right and left with dizzying depth instead of the Palm way above.

Still, how do you just scroll up to the navigational dropdown and the sort by name/type/size dropdowns in Windows Explorer?
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    you use the stylus

if you see a series of menus along the bottom it is a WM2003 app...if you see only two menus that work with the softkeys then its been ported to WM5.
    Hi,

If you've installed the latest version of eWallet for Pocket PC (version 4.1) you should only have two menus (with the traditional WM 5.0 "big blue buttons"). If you want to verify which version of eWallet you currently have installed you can check in the About eWallet window.

The latest version of NewsBreak (1.2) has WM 5.0 menus as well.

Let me know how it works out!

Marc Tassin
    Ilium Software
    --------------------
    info@iliumsoft.com
    +1 (734) 973-9388
    ---------------------
    http://www.iliumsoft.com
    Last edited by Ilium Software; 05/09/2006 at 01:05 PM.
    Marc,
    I have version 4.1.0.18321, and I do find there are a few places where the 5-way won't work. For example, after entering my password I can't just hit the center button...I have to tap OK on the screen (though I admit it's big enough to hit with a thumbnail). Then when I open a credit card record I see tabs for Card, Details, and Notes across the bottom of the screen. Again, the 5-way does nothing; I again have to tap the screen.

Your great program would be even greater if you could eliminate these few annoyances.
    Yep, I understand. Those are good points.

I know that there are still some '5-way' control areas that we're working on. Right now we're in the process of doing just that though, so if you have any other requests or complaints definitely send them to us. We take all customer comments/requests very seriously when determining what changes to make!

Marc Tassin
    Ilium Software
    --------------------
    info@iliumsoft.com
    +1 (734) 973-9388
    ---------------------
    http://www.iliumsoft.com
    Global Posts
    271 Global Posts
    I agree with tangible.....

The application is quite useful...but.. not being able to navigate with the 5way.. is painful !

especially when you have mutliple eWallet files.. so you go to open... then you have to TAP the one you wish to open.. vs just arrowing down with the 5 way and hitting either the ok button or center button in the 5 way.

Tangible,

On the password.. you can push the "Ok" button on the keyboard.. instead of tapping the screen fwiw...
    Thanks for the response, Marc. I will look forward to the next version.
    Thanks for the tip Waycool. I guess I should have realized that the OK button would work, but I've gotten used to the bad design of WM5, in which OK really means "Close" most of the time, and isn't generally suitable for terminating a field.
    I see mentioned that you have to tap the OK button in the example above. In all of the instances I have come across, the hard OK button to the right of the 5 way will act as that screen button.

If the object is to do everything with the 5 way then I agree that this falls short, but if the goal is to not have to use the stylus, PIE is the only place I find this sorely inadequate.