Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    I have been a 6700 user since introduced and extremely happy with the phone although a bit clunky. After being abused by Sprint for the last time I decide pay my $150 to get out of the agreement and switch to Verizon. I know I am throwing this out on a Treo board but I was a previous Treo 300, 600 and 650 user. Should I go with the 700 or go back to Verizon' s version of the 6700? Your thoughts here will be greatfully appreciated. I would especially appreciate any comemts from anyone that has made the switch from a 6700 to a 700.
    It really depends on you and your 6700 experience.

How much did you use it as a phone? # minutes/month
    What apps are the most important to you? builtins, 3rd party
    What did you like most about the 6700?
    What did you hate most about the 6700?
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    I got a 6700 from Verizon in February. It kept dropping the signal to my BT headset. First I thought it was my headset, so I bought a new one. Same thing. The Verizon tech in a store told me he had about 6 or 7 people with the same problem. I got a replacement. Same thing. Long story short, I had to go through the "3 strikes" policy and get 3 different 6700's before they FINALLY let me switch to a 700w. I absolutely LOVE my 700w, and it hasn't dropped my BT headset even once.

Bottom line: The 6700 is a great PDA with a so-so phone. The 700w is a phone FIRST and PDA second. For the way I use it, the 700w wins hands down.
    I myself am switching to a 700p whenever that comes out. Just sold the 6700 and went back to my 650. I found the 6700 it to be very clunky in terms of OS speed. Like the post obove mine is saying, it depends on you and your needs. For me Windows Mobile still needs a lot of work, it's just too slow. (in my opinion).
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    What I liked best about the 6700 was screen size, the ability to use a BT head set and use the new VC that came with the OS update to make calls through the headset. I also liked the wifi capability.

The screen size allowed for the use of pocket informant and SBL Diary to display my calanderor tasks or emal on the today screen.
    I also loaded slingbox, pocket travel, expense program. SBL back-up and a pocket note program as well as memory manager and task manager.

My priorities are phone, email and internet in that order. I like the form of the Treo better than the 6700 and it looks like it would be easy to live with on a day to day basis. After reading this board I have some concerns about the available memory and the lack of ability to use the BT headset with a VC program.
    Until your 3rd paragraph, I was thinking "This guy needs to get the VZW 6700 and call it a day." Slingplayer and other programs work just dandy on the 700 but if you must have all of those today screen plugins, you'll be disappointed.

Your priorities indicate that the Treo 700w will work for you,

I'd like a BT/VC combo but I wouldn't want to sacrifice battery life and memory for BT/VC even if it were possible. The Treo looks and feels like a phone so I only want a headset when I'm driving -- one less thing to carry around and keep charged.
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    Beryl: Thanks, the reason the BT/VC is so important is because the 6700 can not be used as a phone. With my 650 I never used a BT headset. The 3 to 5 day calander on the today page is imporant. I do not see a calander button on the 700. On the 6700 in the today screen the soft buttons are set to calander and contacts.

How bad is the memory (or lack there of) problem I have been reading about on this board?
    Memory is only bad if you want to run a lot of things and have lots of today screen plug-ins.

You can define the calendar app to a button. I did.

You should try the 700w for the 15 days and if you don't like it, exchange it for the 6700.
    change if you hate pulling out the keyboard and having to flip it around every time you decide to type on it

simply not for me but i understand if it is for you
    Global Posts
    271 Global Posts
    I agree with oalvarez.... I have a Blackberry (7250) and had the 6700 for about 2 months... now I'm demo'ing a 700w.

The pull out keyboard finally drove me nuts... its nice if you need to type a LONG message or some such.. but for simple yes/no etc ... its painful to slide the keyboard out all the time.. worse yet is surfing the web.. if you need to type and use the thumb keys to navigate it becomes problematic with the orientation changed due to slide out keyboard...

I'm always comparing the device to a Blackberry 7250 or 7130 and right now its (700w) the closest I've seen in useablity... Plus.. Verizon has not released the AKU 2.0 update for the 6700... (sigh)

I have users that love the 6700 but they do load LOTS of third party apps.... both non-business and business related...

Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    I decided to try the 700. I went down to my locak Verizon store, put down my 499. and took my phone home to set it up. IT WAS A USED PHONE. Lots of junk on the phone and all the packaging inside had been repackaged!!!! After calling them on it they are going to replace it but I am without a phone for a day> SO FAR- VERIZON SEEMS JUST A BAD AS SPRINT. Is there anyone in the phone business with the smallest of value systems?
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    no
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    Quote Originally Posted by WayCool
    The pull out keyboard finally drove me nuts... its nice if you need to type a LONG message or some such.. but for simple yes/no etc ... its painful to slide the keyboard out all the time.. worse yet is surfing the web.. if you need to type and use the thumb keys to navigate it becomes problematic with the orientation changed due to slide out keyboard...
    Originally I felt the same way until I figured out why the best selling software on Pocketgear included several implementations of a soft keyboard in the lower third of the 320x240 screens. People swear they are great and solves the slider keyboard issue with the benefits of the 700w...