View Poll Results: How Do you feel about the Treo 700w?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • I love this quirky thing!

57 75.00%
  • I hate this @#$^% thing!

19 25.00%
  1.    #1  
    Which is closer to the truth?
  2. rlj
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    With all it's "quirks", it's still a great smartphone.
    great phone....best of the WM5 phones to date.
    Quote Originally Posted by geralde
    great phone....best of the WM5 phones to date.
    Respectfully disagree. It can't run power apps in tandem because of its RAM - come on, my 6700 had 11MB free after every app in the world was open!!! If it had 64MB RAM or could even run NetFront and FlexMail without errors every few minutes, I'd give it a thumbs up. As is, not for me.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    who's the dork that even calls this quirky. you want quirky? try a 650. this is the most rock solid device I've owned. it makes the 650 look like a toy. and this is after a troubling first month, and a history of fairly good 650 experience. this things the real deal and this board should stop bashing. ya dig?
    I appreciate the "respectfully". I think this phone has a target market. It certainly is not targeted at folks that want to load everything possible...even some quirky apps :-).

It is definitely a phone first...PDA second. for the type of stuff you mentioned the 6700 or 730 would make more sense...and they are targeted at they type market.

Basically a flavors of Ice cream discussion. :-)
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    I could complain but what good would that do? I figured I'd just make the darn thing work for me and that's what I've done. Net result-- a solid pda/phone that works.

D
    Too bad there's not a third category: It's a mediocre WM5.0 PPC Phone device. It does pretty well as a phone and poorly as a PDA - nothing to love or hate there.
    love it simply because it doesn't have a slide-out keyboard....now that's what i call "quirky"

love it
    Global Posts
    882 Global Posts
    I must say that I love my phone even though there are thing I would like to change but I will stick with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by eldiablo
    who's the dork that even calls this quirky. you want quirky? try a 650. this is the most rock solid device I've owned. it makes the 650 look like a toy. and this is after a troubling first month, and a history of fairly good 650 experience. this things the real deal and this board should stop bashing. ya dig?
    I love hearing these guys talk smack... the 650 is a toy man, a friggin toy!

I agree 100% with Kupe. Like the 650 and almost all the hardware Palm makes "this could easily have been a great phone" but it is a mediocre, crippled solution with a good form factor and which functions better as a phone. It's disposable the moment WiFi and an extra 32-64MB of RAM are included in the next version, a year behind everyone else.
    I've had other Palm OS phones and now the Treo 700W, as well as other "stand alone" PDA's. Obviously the PDA's are much more stable, but I wanted a "combo" unit. Here is my philosophy. I don't believe it is presently possible to find a PDA phone that I would actually be HAPPY with, it's simply a matter of finding the one with the fewest objections (I suspect they're all "bad"). Can't say for sure if that qualifies the 700W, but I also can't say I really expected anything more than what it is.

Tom
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by eldiablo
    You call me a "dork" then ask me if I "dig" it? Talk about Quirky...
    Last edited by eki; 05/03/2006 at 07:50 PM.
    I complain a lot because I like tech, but, admittedly, I love the 700w.
    Not the best phone. Not the best PDA. Definitely the best combination of the two!!!
    ITA w/Kupe so can't vote.
    For comparision purposes (650 Happiness Poll):

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=80069

84 favorable / 15 unfavorable / 35 on fence - not sure
    Another technology product that grossly overpromises and underdelivers. I wish these tech companies would quit the bravado and just make some good products.

That said, the Treo 700w is servicable. Having not carried a PDA before because I didn't want to lug around another piece of hardware, I appreciate having the PDA/Phone combo. So while I'm incresingly disappointed with the product and would recommend that people wait until they come out with version 2, I'm not going to get rid of mine.