Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've been an avid Treo650 user for the past 15 months. I have transitioned over employees of a service business I help manage over to using Treo650s with Chatteremail and it works great for that business - it's been a tremenodous benefit to the company to use the Treo650 and the employees are very happy with the beneifts of the 650.

However, I have a new job that I will be starting in a couple of months and they use Exchange. As it is right now I have an email account for the new company already as I transition over and have that being forwarded to my Chatteremail on the 650, however, there are 2 reasons why I think I might like to consider switching over to the 700w:

1) Outlook integration with Excahnge. Meeting requests, tasks & appointments. The beneifts of being able to active sync these and accept a meeting request on the device is very important and I just don't have that with the 650. I consider this to be a very important feature and really miss this on the 650 - I've managed up until now, but with my new job it's going to be a lot harder.

2) TimeTTracker MX Pro. Windows Mobile only software that I use to track hours and expenses for clients. Up until now I have found no solution on the Palm side that comes even close to what this app does. I have been using an old HP h2210 PocketPC to keep track of hours now, but obviosly with the recent beta release of TimeTTracker MX for WM5 I could have one device instead of 2. This is a biggee for me too...

Obviously of importance is to have a push solution that works, it sounds like push is finally working on the 700w from what I have read in here. One of the things I must have on a 700w solution would be the ability to basically setup my Outlook/Exchange inbox as I have my Chatteremail inbox setup - filtering messages to certain inboxes etc, moving messages to "to-do" boxes I have set up for various clients etc. The phone part of the device must be good too - and I do have issues with the Treo650 not sounding that great sometimes on voice.

Any comments, suggestions, advice, etc? The idea of having EV-DO at a much faster speed than EDGE with Cingular is nice too! I have read a lot of the comments in this forum the past couple of months and the overall consensus *seems* to be that the 700w has some issues, but that some people love it and it works well for them..

Thanks in advance
    Siemens S46 -> Siemens S56 -> Motorola MPx200 -> Moto v600 -> Audiovox SMT5600 -> Treo 650 -> Motorola Q (14 days) -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700w -> Treo 750
    It depends what is really important to you. If you love the ease and speed in which you are able to use your 650, don't switch and wait for the next version which is rumored to be announced - we'll know for sure soon, won't we?

1) Push is not necessarily that great, depending upon your viewpoint. I MANUALLY check my emails once per hour otherwise I find the battery suck to be unacceptable. With the 650 what I LOVED was snappermail's ability to simply go online, pull email and disconnect. Great battery saver. Your company may have a solution and others here have been using packages (Good?) With the 700 there is nothing equivalent unfortunately as there is no auto disconnect. The mail clients SUCK to say the least -- it will take you many more keystrokes to do simple things, no ability to simply autoconnect and disconnect. It's a major surprise but that is where things are right now. A good indication of what you get -- there is no way to send/receive email on all accounts in Outlook -- you have to do them individually! (I understand push but it's the lack of simple stuff like this you'll have to get used to.)

2) EVDO is nice, no question. But if you aren't a web surfer, it really doesn't change the course of existence if you don't have large docs to transfer. Web surfing is a joy to those who appreciate scrolling. The "one column" view on the Palm works much better than in Pocket IE.

3) Remember the memory issues you have with the 650? Surprise -- the 700w has them too (RAM) and the operation of the phone is MUCH slower than the Palm.

4) There are several time trackers available on the Palm side that do a very good job. At the very worst -- what I did -- was use a database package (there are several great ones) and created my own that syncs with Access. I loved it and could also customize it the way I wanted. If this is your number one app, I can understand a possible preference here. But I'm not sure I want to go WIndows Mobile just for one app unless totally critical.

5) The 240x240 resolution may kill the usability of the Time Tracker apps which may not be compatible. The square resolution means that access to the lower half of the screen and menus may be cut off. Ironically, you can't use your buttons to drop down (up) menus but need to physically press on the menu bar at the bottom of the screen, which on a square device may be unreachable. As much as resolution isn't a big deal for video and pictures which are slightly fuzzier, they make a big deal with apps. The screen is just not big enough or have a sharp enough resolution to see full view docs small, e.g. even power points are just too small to view full screen but just good enough on a 320x240 device. Get used to a LOT OF SCROLLING. Fewer apps available by far on the Treo 700w because of the resolution.

I don't want to sound negative and there are some benefits. Most of them, though, are in the "coolness" department, not productivity and streamlined general use. Streaming radio - very cool. Streaming video - cool. WiFi capability - sort of cool but weak, flaky cards/connections and need to use one make this very unweildy and impractical. 1MB camera - sort of cool since it still is not great quality. No reset hole button - VERY UNCOOL.

I got mine because the upgrade was free and needed to do so (longer story.) If you're spending cash, I would not do so and wait just a little while longer to see what else is out there. If you're hell bent on a Treo I'd really consider waiting to see if there is going to be a 700/750/800p, keep your software investment and perhaps get a better laugh with a 320x320 screen too.
    Last edited by treoshmeo; 05/03/2006 at 11:07 AM.
  3.    #3  
    treoshmeo,

Thanks for the very detailed response. The points you bring up are excellent. I certainly was interested in the 700w when it was announced, but Chatteremail is such a powerful application that the lack of a good time tracking program and lack of EVDO would not get me to switch unless Outlook could behave like Chatteremail - and it sounds like it doesn't.

I think you're right. I don't have to switch - in fact my new boss is interested in the Treo650 himself - he has a WM Smartphone right now and always is so impressed with Chatteremail. In many ways Chatteremail is the killer application for the Treo.

I have been waiting, and perhaps now is the time to keep on waiting! I just was hoping with this recent patch all got fixed - but perhaps I should just wait for the next gen....

Thanks again for your input, it was very helpful information.
    Siemens S46 -> Siemens S56 -> Motorola MPx200 -> Moto v600 -> Audiovox SMT5600 -> Treo 650 -> Motorola Q (14 days) -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700w -> Treo 750
    no.get it. the 700 is great! i cant live without it now. you can save on keystrokes by tapping the screen or entering the letter "I" to bring up PIE for example. after the update my 700 now really lives up to my expectations. the first 2 or 3 weeks was strange i admit. but now i realize its great. and it compatability with windows is a godsend. ive types up documents of import and emailed and had them open up right into Word. this thing is great. and if you dont need EVDO cause you dont surf much. well. after you get this thing youll be surfing!
    Since this is for work, you may want to keep the new company environment in mind. If your new company is a microsoft shop, you may be "safer" to go with the 700w.

Personally, I am waiting for the 700p.
    I use a spreadsheet...can send ya the working files if ya want.

PDF versions below
    Attached Files Attached Files
    I like that expense sheet. Will you please post the template?
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    I absolutely love my 700w... no battery problems here with push email and a full time connection to EVDO. at night it is not uncommon for me to have almost 80% of my battery left.

One thing you should keep in mind is that with EVDO your calls will not go to VM because you are using data... that may be important to some. The 700p will have this feature too though.

If your work has a VZW business account manager see if they will let you have a trial... business accounts usually get 30 day trials...

Make sure you update it first thing as I have noticed new devices or current stock still have the old firmware.
    I have not been a long time Treo user, but in the last 4 months had gone from 600, to 650, to 700W. Though, I've supported them somewhat on the server side (Goodlink, Activesync, etc). While a long time Palm and BlackBerry user, I had initial reservations on making the 700W switch -- and the 700W just blows the 650 away (and of course, BlackBerry totally sucks)! Just don't think Palm too much in the beginning, and you'll learn to love the 700W pretty fast.

Oh and yes, make sure you have/install the very latest 1.10 firmware.

Best,
    O.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by gex
    One thing you should keep in mind is that with EVDO your calls will not go to VM because you are using data... that may be important to some. The 700p will have this feature too though.
    So you are saying that if you have 100% connection to email all the time (using EVDO, right) you never get a voicemail and a caller can't leave a voicemail?

How is that possible, I think I must be missing something here...
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    I use a spreadsheet...can send ya the working files if ya want.

PDF versions below
    That's a very nice looking spreadsheet, thanks for posting it.

The advantage of TimeTrackerMX is the actual timer you can start and stop. It is a brilliant piece of software and works great with ActiveSync. The desktop application is very powerful and excellent reporting for billing. The ability for me to do: Start Timer (work) Pause Timer (break or start timer for another client) is very good. I can bill down to the minute if I want to. It just works....although I don't know of anyone who has it on the 700w so I don't know if the screen resolution is an issue or not.

Here's a link to it if anyone wants to download a trial version and put it on their Treo700w and post back on how it works

RF Cons TimeTTracker MX
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    I just got my VTreo700 and I am learning everything all over again.

I still have my Sprint T650 and I see now why Palm OS is so easy over WM05.

BUT - I will say this Being able to use my Palmone Wifi card is way cool! And the today screen is starting to grow on me.

It did take me three hours to learn how to install software on the WM05 T700
    though. The only thing I have loaded is pocket weather which is cool.
    The Helen Keller of Treo Central
    Quote Originally Posted by seaflipper
    So you are saying that if you have 100% connection to email all the time (using EVDO, right) you never get a voicemail and a caller can't leave a voicemail?

How is that possible, I think I must be missing something here...
    No he is saying that the call will go thru instead of always being sent to voicemail.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by mark1107
    I just got my VTreo700 and I am learning everything all over again.

I still have my Sprint T650 and I see now why Palm OS is so easy over WM05.

BUT - I will say this Being able to use my Palmone Wifi card is way cool! And the today screen is starting to grow on me.
    That's like when I went from WM to Palm with my 650! My head hurt! And NOT having a today screen has driven me crazy. I do have "2Day" which is a pretty good replacement for the Today screen, BUT I still prefer the way WM handles UI for the most part.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg
    No he is saying that the call will go thru instead of always being sent to voicemail.
    Oh, ok, because EVDO is "3G" you can get a voicecall while surfing the web? Is that right? I assume you can still reject a call and send it to voicemail anyway though...

Oh and nice avatar there...
    No gex is saying the opposite. He's saying that your phone will ring when you are using data as opposed to going straight to voicemail. With evdo you get the option to answer or send the call to voicemail with 1x the call will simply go straight to voicemail.

It's a shame that treoshmeo was the first to answer your query. I think he is a bit jaded right now but he will come around after a few more solutions come out.

My summary of the 700w is as follows:

1 - EVDO is great, It's like DSL vs dial-up. You surf more once you have it and you are no longer limited to mobile friendly sites.

2 - The push email update works better than I expected. it has been great. Everything stays in sync without effort. Your desktop and phone. Contacts, emails (sent or received, read or unread), tasks, calender. It's great!

3 - The variety of 240x240 compatible apps leaves something to be desired. This is definitely my biggest issue. It is getting better as time goes on though. Make sure to test the Timekeeper app first. Some developers are updating for WM5 primarily and then doing a poor job of making their apps square screen compatible.

4 - I haven't had an issue with battery drain. My battery life is actually better since the update. But there are people on both sides of that experience. I can't say where you will fall.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by BigTreo
    My summary of the 700w is as follows:

1 - EVDO is great, It's like DSL vs dial-up. You surf more once you have it and you are no longer limited to mobile friendly sites.

2 - The push email update works better than I expected. it has been great. Everything stays in sync without effort. Your desktop and phone. Contacts, emails (sent or received, read or unread), tasks, calender. It's great!

3 - The variety of 240x240 compatible apps leaves something to be desired. This is definitely my biggest issue. It is getting better as time goes on though. Make sure to test the Timekeeper app first. Some developers are updating for WM5 primarily and then doing a poor job of making their apps square screen compatible.

4 - I haven't had an issue with battery drain. My battery life is actually better since the update. But there are people on both sides of that experience. I can't say where you will fall.
    Yes, the response seem to be mixed, which means it's probably perfect for a normally early adopter like myself
    Although I do need it to work...

My timekeeping software is square screen compatible. I emailed the tech support of RFCons and they confirmed it does work with the Treo, which is good.

EVDO seems really nice. The sync aspect with Outlook is awesome of course, I really need that (or would like that).

Have you used Chatteremail? Are you familiar with that program? I would be curious what people think about Outlook Push vs. Chatteremail...
    I haven't used the final versions of Chattermail. I used it way back when it was first developed and was in Alpha stage. It sounds like it grew into a great program from the comments everyone makes about it. On my T600 I used snappermail triggered by an SMS message. It was fast enough for me.

To get a good comparison you can compare Chattermail to Outllok on your work PC working with an exchange server. When an email comes in for me I get it on my phone and on my PC at virtual the same time.

You should try to get the phone and use it on a trial basis before deciding though.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    What I REALLY like about Outlook Mobile is that it syncs with Outlook (via Exchange Server) my replies by updating the icon next to the email i replied too. Forwards update the icon as well....when you have read something in Outlook it shows up as being read in Outlook Mobile and vice a versa... also like you said accepting meeting requests, etc is cool...you can also use the voting buttons on emails from outlook....syncing of your contact/calendar/tasks is something I don't think Chatter does?

There's more im sure...
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by gex
    What I REALLY like about Outlook Mobile is that it syncs with Outlook (via Exchange Server) my replies by updating the icon next to the email i replied too. Forwards update the icon as well....when you have read something in Outlook it shows up as being read in Outlook Mobile and vice a versa... also like you said accepting meeting requests, etc is cool...you can also use the voting buttons on emails from outlook....syncing of your contact/calendar/tasks is something I don't think Chatter does?

There's more im sure...
    Yeah, Chatter doesn't really handle tasks/calendar/contacts at all. One of the users I setup with the Treo tried to use Chatter to forward himself a calendar appointment to "test" (the builtin calendar will let you do it) and it ended up corrupting his calendar! I had to do a hard reset to fix it for him.

But Chatter does handle the icon update and server updates you mentioned. What I really like about Chatter is the one handed operation and the "summary" mailbox. I have 6 different mailboxes that I sync with push & chatter. All of these emails are put into a "summary" mailbox that is color coded depending upon which mailbox it comes from. With one view I can see every single email in all my various inboxes without switching to a different mailbox. I dont' miss things very often this way. I don't think Outlook has anything like that - if it does, that would be news to me! If I need to move something from one mailbox to another, you just hit "m" on your keypad and select where to move it and in about 15 seconds it gets updated on the server. It's really quite powerful.

Perhaps with good rules in Outlook I could accomplish the same thing, I don't know...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast