Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    As I said my point is to open your eyes about what you need and what you get and what you can get shortly. Most here are enthusiastic fanzies. If you think you will have used only 20 percent of your battery like reported here after a day's use, then you might as well believe in miracles.

People have said the same I have couching it in pleasantries that are expected of owners. The benefit of the 700 is really only EVDO and if you don't need it, I'm not sure a 650 owner will be happy with the trade-offs and the loss of an imminent 700-750-800p upgdrade. It provides the capability for a lot more broadband fun right now but with noticeable. Here are the points I see

1 - Palm OS vs. Windows Mobile for square screens. Also take into account Palm's implementation of WM

2- No Wifi built in, only 32MB of RAM

3- the limitations of using a rd0 square for business

4 - The benefit of EVDO

The 700w is certainly functional. But as compared to the 650 you might be disappointed by the low value in such a move. Thank Palm for this as they stripped out industry standards from the phone - similar to the 650. I have been there, own a ton of now u$eless apps that must be replaced. For another $300 and a 2 year contract, I wouldn't do it. If the crossgrade is free it's a pick 'em.
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    I was going to go for a 700w real soon but with the advent of some software I have found for Palm I am going to use my 650 for now and wait for a 700p. I use Chatter all the time! Its great! I love Zlauncher! Amazing! and I just started to play with Opera Mini 2 and with some tweaks and changing it is smooth as can be! displays pages great! Its fast! Also supports downloading now!

The 700w is cool and WM is cool, EVDO would be great, but I get everything I want and more from my 650! I go from a great Launcher than can look like anything I want, even WM, all the way to playing Duke Nukem 3D on my 650, and NES, Gameboy, SNES, and Genesis! I stream my own music to my Treo using Gloonet and pTunes. All I really want is EVDO so, I recommed waiting for the 700p, bu this is one useless wireless tech's opinion, take it with the grain of salt that I wish I could post with it
    My Cart
    Wireless Addict

The only reason why Chuck Norris grows a beard is because he is trying to compete with Bruce Campbell's chin, which can break diamonds.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seaflipper
    mailbox that is color coded depending upon which mailbox it comes from. With one view ..... I don't think Outlook has anything like that - if it does, that would be news to me!
    You can do color coding in Outlook but I don't know if its supported in Outlook Mobile... would be neat if it did and maybe it does (doubt it) but I haven't tried...

Since you are also a WM user the 700w will not be such a "shock to the system" going from the Palm OS....

Try it out for a while and let us know what you think!

The biggest drawback to the 700w is the lack of memory...not much of a problem unless you want to load home screen plugins or other programs that take up memory full time (like voice command)....other than that I really like the 700w...

It's my device of choice (I also have the i730 and 6700). Never used the Palm OS (last time was back in 1997) so cant really say how it compares to that...but it doesn't look pretty
  4.    #24  
    Ok guys. Here is an update. I went to a Cingular store and took a look at the 8125, the new Cingular PPC phone - HATED IT. Coming from a 650 the one handed action on the 8125 is virtually non-existent! Since I already am on Cingular I felt I had to just look at what they were offering. I like the big screen but thats about it.

Walked accross the street to the Verizon store and played around with the Treo700w and decided to take it for the "15 day road test" option. So far it's a mixed bag, but it's way to early to tell..... I don't have my exchange active sync setup yet (my exchnage admin has some errors to fix before mobile users can use it) so I am just using IMAP at this point with my Fastmail account - not great IMO.

Anyway, thanks again for all the advice in here. I'll be playing around with this for 15 days and really stretching its legs before I pull the trigger and migrate from Cingular over to Verizon...
    Siemens S46 -> Siemens S56 -> Motorola MPx200 -> Moto v600 -> Audiovox SMT5600 -> Treo 650 -> Motorola Q (14 days) -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700w -> Treo 750
    Quote Originally Posted by Beryl
    I like that expense sheet. Will you please post the template?
    My originals are in Lotus.123 format. Knowing MS, not all cells / formulas will import correctly. I have had trouble with the day of week stuff in the past so both versions provided. Since forum will not allow these file extensions as uploads, gonna have to use e-mail.
    Ok guys. Here is an update. I went to a Cingular store and took a look at the 8125, the new Cingular PPC phone - HATED IT. Coming from a 650 the one handed action on the 8125 is virtually non-existent! Since I already am on Cingular I felt I had to just look at what they were offering. I like the big screen but thats about it.

Walked accross the street to the Verizon store and played around with the Treo700w and decided to take it for the "15 day road test" option. So far it's a mixed bag, but it's way to early to tell..... I don't have my exchange active sync setup yet (my exchnage admin has some errors to fix before mobile users can use it) so I am just using IMAP at this point with my Fastmail account - not great IMO.

Anyway, thanks again for all the advice in here. I'll be playing around with this for 15 days and really stretching its legs before I pull the trigger and migrate from Cingular over to Verizon...
    That test-drive thing is the best way to do it. That's what I did to get the MDA lust out of my system and be happy with my Treo 650.
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers
    That test-drive thing is the best way to do it. That's what I did to get the MDA lust out of my system and be happy with my Treo 650.
    LOL! That is exactly what I am thinking... Either I decide it doesn't work good enough for what I need and I return it and save my money AND get that "what if" feedback loop running through my brain OR it works great and does what I need and all is well beceause I seel my 650 & iPaq on eBay and break even!

I'm going to try out Goodlink and see how that works. I always wanted to test it out and kind of forgot about it with how well Chatter works for me...

But I must say that despite all the shortcomings in specs on this version 1.0 device from Palm, they certainly did customize the WM ROM much better than any of the other WM5 devices. The MDA device, while the same OS, just doesn't have the one handed operation like the 700w does. Sure the 700w is not quite as easy to use (at least so far for me) as the 650, but it's way better than any other PPC PE device I have tried so far...
    Siemens S46 -> Siemens S56 -> Motorola MPx200 -> Moto v600 -> Audiovox SMT5600 -> Treo 650 -> Motorola Q (14 days) -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700w -> Treo 750
    But I must say that despite all the shortcomings in specs on this version 1.0 device from Palm, they certainly did customize the WM ROM much better than any of the other WM5 devices. The MDA device, while the same OS, just doesn't have the one handed operation like the 700w does. Sure the 700w is not quite as easy to use (at least so far for me) as the 650, but it's way better than any other PPC PE device I have tried so far...
    Comparing apples and apples, yes. Compared to a Palm though, it falls woefully short. There are other real issues as set forth above. While a better implemenation of WM, side by side you have no WiFi (the card wont cut it because then all your installs must be local, using up all your program space AND the necessary footprint for PIE to work) and the limit of 32Mb of RAM which is not trivial unless you just use calendar and email and that is all. Using third party apps like time tracker mean opening and closing apps - you will need to learn patience after coming from a 650. Verizon is reportedly shutting down streaming on EVDO with a number of users as reported here. Suddenly the benefits of "unlimited" Internet you pay almost $50 for on Verizon make the 650 a very compelling choice again as well as any WiFi equipped PDA. If I had the chance I may have gone the 6700 route although I'm thinking the next WM devices are the answer, eg Pocket Loox type if you want square, etc.

Those are the tradeoffs.
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by treoshmeo
    Comparing apples and apples, yes. Compared to a Palm though, it falls woefully short. There are other real issues as set forth above. While a better implemenation of WM, side by side you have no WiFi (the card wont cut it because then all your installs must be local, using up all your program space AND the necessary footprint for PIE to work) and the limit of 32Mb of RAM which is not trivial unless you just use calendar and email and that is all. Using third party apps like time tracker mean opening and closing apps - you will need to learn patience after coming from a 650. Verizon is reportedly shutting down streaming on EVDO with a number of users as reported here. Suddenly the benefits of "unlimited" Internet you pay almost $50 for on Verizon make the 650 a very compelling choice again as well as any WiFi equipped PDA. If I had the chance I may have gone the 6700 route although I'm thinking the next WM devices are the answer, eg Pocket Loox type if you want square, etc.

Those are the tradeoffs.
    I haven't installed my Time Tracking software, that will be a test for sure. Yeah, the memory is going to be an issue I can see that already, but so far its not a deal breaker. I've used WM enough to know about all those issues and for me it's not the end of the world to have to stop an app to use another - although it would be nice to NOT have to do that

As to wifi, I don't have that on my 650 anyway, so I'm not missing that. Would be nice to have that to do Skype over wi-fi since there is a nice PPC Skype version (or at least there used to be). But the carriers probably try to keep you from doing that too....

Overall on the tradeoffs, we shall see...again, the 15 day deal is a great way to try this out and really use it. I know exactly how I need this to work so in 15 days I should be able to know if it's a yea or a nay.

And tradeoffs are what you always get with these devices - just as soon as I get comfortable with a new phone or device I figure out that key "feature" I'm missing from my last device that I loved!
    Last edited by seaflipper; 05/04/2006 at 12:42 PM.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12