1.    #1  
    Hey everyone, I have the Unlimited data plan, and wanted to test out how large of a file I could download. Well I went to the www.hak5.org website, and tried to download one of their episodes. Mind you this is a legal show made for free. Well I click on the link and try to save it to my SD card. However nothing was happening after 20 minutes, and then I noticed my connection dropped from the EVDO network to the 1x network! What gives do they purposely try to discourage you from downloading legal stuff?
    I haven't had a problem with VZW discouraging me from downloading large files, my guess is it just went to 1x because of a signal issue.

Now officialy, yes they could do pretty much whatever they want if they notice you downloading things. The TOS specifically states the following:

Unlimited NationalAccess/BroadbandAccess services cannot be used (1) for uploading, downloading or streaming of movies, music or games, (2) with server devices or with host computer applications, including, but not limited to, Web camera posts or broadcasts, automatic data feeds, Voice over IP (VoIP), automated machine-to-machine connections, or peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing, or (3) as a substitute or backup for private lines or dedicated data connections.

So even though what your downloading is perfectly legal, they still don't allow you to download it officialy. Now do I know anyone that's gotten canceled over this? Nope. So I'm going to have to just go with it being a network glitch, not something intentional by Verizon.
    I think they don't care unless you start consistently downloading several gigs per month.

BTW, after the update I have noticed that my data connection occasionally goes into 1x now when it never did before at my location. Not sure what's up with that.
    Quote Originally Posted by karterius
    However nothing was happening after 20 minutes, and then I noticed my connection dropped from the EVDO network to the 1x network! What gives do they purposely try to discourage you from downloading legal stuff?
    No - you lost the EVDO signal. Around the time you start exceeding 3 GB per month, you'll be getting into the WLBL (warning letter big leagues).