Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Hi everyone!
    Been busy working away at building/testing an Exchange hosting service so I have not been online as much but thought I would throw out a quick tip for all of you to give your Exchange admins that might help with your Direct Push performance....

Most of you have heard that to maximize performance (when you use Direct Push over HTTP(s)) it is recommended that you increase or set your firewall time out values to 30 min....well I haven’t seen anyone mention the recommendation to increase your IIS time-out value to 1800 seconds and make sure HTTP Keep-Alive is enabled...

Now don’t go telling other Exchange hosting providers out there
    (they really should already know this though)

Just to reiterate:
    To maximize performance...increase your IIS time-out values and firewall time values when you use the Enable Direct Push over HTTP(s) option. If you use IIS 6.0...set the Connection Timeout value to 1800 and select the HTTP Keep-Alives Enabled check box. If you use IIS 5.0, set the Connection Timeout value to 1800.

PM me if you want to donate to my paypal account
    There's an article from Microsoft discussing the Push technology etc, etc. KB=905013 Did you change any of the registry settings they are talking about at the bottom?

I did the SSL timeout value, and I did your IIS value, (take effect tonight) Seem like after the MSFP Treo update the batteries go dead quicker.
    Excellent, Gex! Count me in as one of the not so smart Exchange Admins that didn't think of this.

Anyway, this setting improved the push from an avg of 12 min. to 3 mins. I'm definitely happy with that!

Live4spd -- I'm not having battery drain issues. As a matter of fact, I'm running both Goodlink and Direct Push Activesync at the same the same time (both from 2 different Exchange servers/2 different Organizations). I wish I can think of some clue as to why you're getting more battery drain with the new 1.10 fw. Anyway, I've seen that article you mentioned, but it's the settings combination from Gex above that seemed to improved the Direct Push timing.

Thanks!
    O.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    You should not need to make any of those registry settings unless you want to tweek things for specific reasons... please note that the article states:

"It is not expected that the default [registry key] value(s) will ever need to be adjusted. "
    Ok well I'll give it a couple days to see if the iis timeout value has improved things.
    Global Posts
    271 Global Posts
    Excellent tip on the connection timeout Gex !

Well done !
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Not sure if you have to issue an iisreset comand for it to take effect...dont think so but again...not sure....of course a reboot of the server would make it take effect for sure.
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    Thanks for the tip(s) Gex. However, I might be in the "it ain't broke" situation as I'm rather pleased with the way things are working with default IIS settings. What improvements do the longer timeouts bring about?
    Quote Originally Posted by mixman
    Thanks for the tip(s) Gex. However, I might be in the "it ain't broke" situation as I'm rather pleased with the way things are working with default IIS settings. What improvements do the longer timeouts bring about?
    For me, it significantly improved the "push" time from an avg of 12 min. to 3 min.

Just curious, is your "push" time decent without these adjustments?

Thx,
    O.
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    Orytek, How are you running 2 different Exchange servers/2 different Organizations on one Treo?
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oryxtek
    For me, it significantly improved the "push" time from an avg of 12 min. to 3 min.

Just curious, is your "push" time decent without these adjustments?

Thx,
    O.
    Mine's been "instant" since the update. It's actually faster than my Outlook client both via VPN and even when I'm sitting at my workstation on the same LAN as the Exchange server. Dare I say even faster than when I was using a Blackberry and running BES!

Why such a delay for you? Are you on your own Exchange server or using hosted?
    gex- it's getting a reboot anyway to make sure my new spam filter is fully operational.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    The benefit is in a longer heartbeat interval...which in turn can result in an increase in the devices battery life and better response times.

Goes like this:

Device says to Exchange..."hey im here...let me know if i have any new items to sync. How often should I let you know I'm still around?"

Exchange says "ok cool... Let me know your still around every xxx if you dont get any updates from me before then"

Exchange thinks to itself "I am set to timeout open connections for a maximum interval of 1800 seconds. I will not drop the connection on my own until that interval is reached"

xxx is the amount of time that the device will stay dormant before it tells exchange that its still there waiting for updates. By allowing a greater interval potential you potentially increased battery life since your device dosnt have to keep telling exchange its still around as often.

xxx is a sliding window that gets determined by a number of factors but will not live longer than the timout value...so what you are doing is increasing the potential of that timeout window to reach its max...you are not setting the interval xxx itself.

There are some registry setting you can make (referenced earlier in this thread) to tweak xxx yourself but I would not touch those unless you have specific reasons too.

... by telling the server to keeping the connection open and not dropping it before the maximum potential window you may see better response time as well...you know.. because the session doesn’t have to be re-established.

Essentially your device wont have to work as hard by trying to keep establishing a connection to the server by you setting the server to not drop the connection on its own. You are increasing the timeout setting so that the xxx window can reach its max.

You see...Exchange Activesync is really just a web service enabled by IIS....Normally a small time out setting is desired since you dont want to keep connections open too long on your web server since web sites are mostly just "grab then display data in a browser window" (you can support more users to your web site by having the smaller timeout)...but in the case of Exchange Activesync its the opposite.

Hope i explained that well enough......its how I understand it...there is a good explanation as well on the Windows Mobile Team blog which is where I picked up an understanding on how this works (but they dont mention the settings I did....got that from building the exchange hosting service...something most exchange admins wont be doing so I thought they would not know).

Also from seeing how this works.. you can tell that its not really "push" email like the BB's have...in practice it works just as well though. It actually works a lot like the older SMS method..they just replaced the SMS trigger with a data session. I guess I shouldn’t say "just" as its more than that (with the sliding window and all) but you get what I mean.

BTW xxx (what i called a sliding window) is partly determined by your data signal strength...other factors come into play but I cant remember what they are....

It's late so I hope I got all this down right and it doesn’t sound like complete gibberish...
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Why such a delay for you? Are you on your own Exchange server or using hosted?
    Yup... even a 3min delay is bad. Im glad the setting improved it for you but something dosnt sound right with a delay as long as 3min unless you in a bad data coverage area???
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LIVE4SPD
    gex- it's getting a reboot anyway to make sure my new spam filter is fully operational.
    Nice... what spam filter are you using???

I've tried McAfee SpamKiller for Exchange.... which basically should of been called ExchangeKiller since it kills the server.

Have had great success with Cloudmark Server Edition (near zero false positives)

...but haven’t found a good solution for the hosted environment. Was going to check out TrendMicro since others report good success with them....

..also been trying out Exchanges new built in spam filter with mixed results.
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gex
    The benefit is in a longer heartbeat interval...which in turn can result in an increase in the devices battery life and better response times.
    Also from seeing how this works.. you can tell that its not really "push" email like the BB's have...in practice it works just as well though.

Your explanation is clear as a bell. Thanks.

I used BES for years and I must say I'm very impressed with MSFP. I would agree it works just as well (and without the high-priced 3rd party software!). There's also some versatility that BES didn't offer. I'm not sure how the behavior would be in a large, multi-user environment, but for one user on Exchange 2003, I'm very pleased.

I changed the timeout in IIS and will see if battery life is better (I'm typically going through about 50% of my battery in a 12-hour work-day). I do need to ask you about the firewall setting. Are you referring to a hardware firewall outside of the Exchange server, or MS's built-in software firewall on the server?
    Quote Originally Posted by gex
    Yup... even a 3min delay is bad. Im glad the setting improved it for you but something dosnt sound right with a delay as long as 3min unless you in a bad data coverage area???
    Yes, I agree, 3 min is still bad. Actually, it started drifting off again, now back up to around 10 min avg. I've been tinkering around with the Exchange server off and on and double-checking every possible setting that may be causing the delay. The coverage is good, so I still don't know. I envy you guys for getting almost an instant "push". The only other factors in play on the Exch server are Symantec Mail Security for Exchange 5.0 and iHate Spam Server Edition (latest version, can't remember right now what it is). I'm also requiring SSL for OWA with forms based auth, so I had to install Method 2 from MS KB 817379 (http://support.microsoft.com/?id=817379). So maybe one of those may be causing it.

Add'l thoughts?

Thanks,
    O.
    Global Posts
    271 Global Posts
    3 minutes is unacceptable IMO ! Of course we have BES too.. and it is virtually instantaneous.. so to compete with that 3 min would be well.... not much competition

Oryxtek (interesting handle btw.... you have Oryx nearby ?) , We have a single server Exchange server (i.e. no FES/BES) with SSL, FBA etc... I get email on the device before it shows up in Outlook.. and about 1-2 seconds behind when it arrive on my Blackberry...

FYI...
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    I do need to ask you about the firewall setting. Are you referring to a hardware firewall outside of the Exchange server, or MS's built-in software firewall on the server?
    Your hardware firewall...but you brought up a good point....I dont use MS's built in firewall software on servers sooooo... dont know about settings for that
    Last edited by gex; 05/04/2006 at 11:14 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by WayCool
    3 minutes is unacceptable IMO ! Of course we have BES too.. and it is virtually instantaneous.. so to compete with that 3 min would be well.... not much competition

Oryxtek (interesting handle btw.... you have Oryx nearby ?) , We have a single server Exchange server (i.e. no FES/BES) with SSL, FBA etc... I get email on the device before it shows up in Outlook.. and about 1-2 seconds behind when it arrive on my Blackberry...

FYI...
    Yup, I definitely have more work to do on this. And to think that I was willing to accept that delay period of 3 mins...

Oryx is a company in Fremont, CA that I do some consulting for. I've done work for them for a long time now, and have grown attached to the name. I haven't seen a live Oryx, but they sure are pretty sharp looking antelopes.

Thx,
    O.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast