Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1.    #1  
    "Storage memory is critically low. If you do not increase storage memory, you may not be able to start some programs. Use File Explorer to delete files you no longer need, or move some files to a storage card."

    After the update, yes the one that cures the memory leaks, I can't open apps at times and get the above message. I have 6MB storage free. Why isn't this enough? Is the Treo 700w now using my storage as an even bigger swap file because it has insufficient memory to run?

    Three times this has happened today, even after a soft reset, and now all that is running is Activesync and I see Program 25.45 MB total, In Use 19.63 MB and Free 5.82 MB. Why I have that little available I don't know but it should be enough to run a dictionary... or maybe not. Perhaps with large resources read the 700w uses storage area because it doesn't have RAM... Hmmm... I didn't have this problem as much before the update and only with much less storage.
  2. #2  
    WM5.0 isn't caching to your storage area. if you have any/all of the following directed to store internally (NOTE: The default for all of them is internal storage), you will see your storage memory get eaten up:

    1. Pocket Internet Explorer cache*
    2. Pocket Internet Explorer history*
    3. Pocket Internet Explorer cookies*
    4. Pocket Internet Explorer downloads*
    5. Email text body
    6. Email attachments*

    *Can be redirected to a storage card.

    Note your email, no matter what, will reside in the internal storage of the Treo. If experience high email traffic (1-200 per day), you will see the storage memory change noticeably every day unless you delete email (and empty the trash) regularly.
  3. #3  
    More information please.

    Number and type of email accounts (POP, IMAP, Exchange, etc.)-
    Mail delivery frequency (push, scheduled) -
    Number of emails per account -
    Today Screen plugins enabled -
    Today Screen plugins installed but not enabled -
    Today Screen Wallpaper -
    Task Manager (e.g. Magic Button) -
    Memory immediately after soft reset -
    Startup apps -
  4. #4  
    Heh - yeah - that information too.
  5.    #5  
    Beryl - thanks for that great information. Unfortunately I can't find the culprit as I have plenty of space (6MB free) of storage and the RAM memory leak is real. I did a soft reset and am up only to 11.66 although I don't remember exactly what it was before. I only have PocketBreeze installed as a today plugin showing only appointments for 3 days. Without anything running memory will sometimes go down to 3-6 MB and I can't explain why.

    Another bug -- my menu buttons no longer work. I go back to the home screen and they are useless. I have to tap the screen for Menu and Messaging on more occasions than I'd like to remember.

    Memory leak update. I ran TCPMP and then Outlook. Quit TCPMP and then Outlook. Memory down from 11.66 to 10.74 MB. There's a leak and I really don't think it's my apps.
  6. #6  
    I found Pocket Breeze to be a dog on my Treo. Removed it right away. Plus there is no room on my screen for it. I can hardly fit the plugins that came with the Treo.
    Brian McGuire
    .../600/650/8700c/700w/Moto Q/700p/Nokia E62/700wx/8525/750c/BB Pearl/Blackjack/BB 8800/BB Curve & HTC Vox S710 >>iPhone
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by brmcguire
    I found Pocket Breeze to be a dog on my Treo. Removed it right away. Plus there is no room on my screen for it. I can hardly fit the plugins that came with the Treo.
    The only item on my Today screen is my appointments, that's it. I wish there was a way to condense these like PB does it just with the built in software. It's SO horribly inefficient that it leaves me with no other choice. Is there any other script that will just put appointments and to-dos on the Today page in efficient fashion?

    Still, PB isn't the problem since it wasn't behaving this badly. Who knows, maybe with the update the Today add-ons require updating...
  8. #8  
    Calendar+ works well but, it doesn't do the task part..
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by treoshmeo
    Beryl - thanks for that great information.
    I didn't give you any information. We might find the culprit if you provide us all of the information I requested. Give it a shot.

    We now know you have Pocketbreeze (wonderful hog which attributes to your problem). What else?

    Number and type of email accounts (POP, IMAP, Exchange, etc.)-
    Mail delivery frequency (push, scheduled) -
    Number of emails per account -
    Today Screen plugins enabled - PocketBreeze
    Today Screen plugins installed but not enabled -
    Today Screen Wallpaper -
    Task Manager (e.g. Magic Button) -
    Memory immediately after soft reset -
    Startup apps -
    Quote Originally Posted by treoshmeo
    There's a leak and I really don't think it's my apps.
    True, true. However, if you let us know what is going on, we might be able to minimize your woes. I have an embarrassing number of apps installed and I know that I can't maintain over 9MB through out the day but I've kept it from going below 7MB after 16 hours of push mail. That is up from 3MB prior to my tweaks and the update.
    Last edited by Beryl; 05/02/2006 at 12:02 AM.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by treoshmeo
    The only item on my Today screen is my appointments, that's it. I wish there was a way to condense these like PB does it just with the built in software. It's SO horribly inefficient that it leaves me with no other choice. Is there any other script that will just put appointments and to-dos on the Today page in efficient fashion?

    Still, PB isn't the problem since it wasn't behaving this badly. Who knows, maybe with the update the Today add-ons require updating...
    Try SPB Diary...it might be what you are looking for.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by brmcguire
    I found Pocket Breeze to be a dog on my Treo. Removed it right away. Plus there is no room on my screen for it. I can hardly fit the plugins that came with the Treo.

    That's interesting. I've been using Pocket Breeze for quite some time now, and I have not noticed any problems. But your comments got me thinking. I disabled Pocket Breeze, soft reset, and then checked my memory then I enabled Pocket Breeze and then rechecked my memory and it only took 0.5mb to run. I'm only running Calendar tab, Tasks Tab, and Special Events Tab.

    But the new version 5.1 is AWESOME. D-Pad control is AMAZING. I can now scroll individual items and mark them complete, change dates all from within Pocket Breeze. It's Fantastic.
  12. jimtravis's Avatar
    Posts
    15 Posts
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    #12  
    With version 1.02, the system starting closing open applications when free memory fell to around 2 MB. I believe that Palm raised that free memory threshold for closing applications to around 5MB with version 1.10. Six MB free was a lot with 1.02, not very much with 1.10.

    IMHO, the increase for closing applications from 2 MB? to 5 MB? was a very serious mistake by Palm that in reality eliminated the ability to multitask to any great extent. It also has caused push email to stop by closing ActiveSync without warning. If Palm had delivered the Treo 700w with 64 MB instead of 32 MB, then I could see the increase. When the average user is lucky if he or she has around 10 MB free before leaks, someone in Palm goofed. I am considering calling tech support, and asking to return to verison 1.02 so I can multitask again. Multitasking is one of the best features of the Windows Mobile platform
  13. #13  
    I agree jimtravis. This sucks. My only saving grace now is to use SKTools and periodically recover my RAM. Usually it brings me up from 3-4mb free to 10mb free. But it's a pain and takes 5-10sec to complete.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by jimtravis
    With version 1.02, the system starting closing open applications when free memory fell to around 2 MB. I believe that Palm raised that free memory threshold for closing applications to around 5MB with version 1.10. Six MB free was a lot with 1.02, not very much with 1.10.

    IMHO, the increase for closing applications from 2 MB? to 5 MB? was a very serious mistake by Palm that in reality eliminated the ability to multitask to any great extent. It also has caused push email to stop by closing ActiveSync without warning. If Palm had delivered the Treo 700w with 64 MB instead of 32 MB, then I could see the increase. When the average user is lucky if he or she has around 10 MB free before leaks, someone in Palm goofed. I am considering calling tech support, and asking to return to verison 1.02 so I can multitask again. Multitasking is one of the best features of the Windows Mobile platform
    Wow - was this change documented?
  15. jimtravis's Avatar
    Posts
    15 Posts
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    #15  
    I called Palm support to confirm my suspicions that the memory threshold was increased from 2 MB to 5 MB with update 1.10. Palm tech support confirmed that the memory threshold was increased from 2 MB to 5MB in update 1.10. I discussed the problems this change has created with closing apps, and hindering multitasking. Hopefully, a fix will be issued by Palm.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by jimtravis
    I called Palm support to confirm my suspicions that the memory threshold was increased from 2 MB to 5 MB with update 1.10. Palm tech support confirmed that the memory threshold was increased from 2 MB to 5MB in update 1.10. I discussed the problems this change has created with closing apps, and hindering multitasking. Hopefully, a fix will be issued by Palm.
    Fix - as in taking in all the 700w's for repair so they can have a new 64MB chip soldered to the motherboard? LOL... thanks for the info.
  17. #17  
    I also have this memory warning issue with the Mobile Sling player.

    I get a memory warning almost every time I launch it. It is annoying. They need a patch for the patch.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by jimtravis
    I called Palm support to confirm my suspicions that the memory threshold was increased from 2 MB to 5 MB with update 1.10. Palm tech support confirmed that the memory threshold was increased from 2 MB to 5MB in update 1.10. I discussed the problems this change has created with closing apps, and hindering multitasking. Hopefully, a fix will be issued by Palm.

    Cool Jimtravis. Thanks for callling. It is a pain. And I think the memory leaks are bigger than ever.
  19. #19  
    i know this thread is a year old but i have the same problem. I have a treo 750 and available memory only shows as .28MB of 65.69. All the applications are closed and i just did a soft reset.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by bull1414 View Post
    i know this thread is a year old but i have the same problem. I have a treo 750 and available memory only shows as .28MB of 65.69. All the applications are closed and i just did a soft reset.
    did you receive an email with large attachments?
    have you cleared your caches & temp folders?
    Palm Pilot>Palm III>Palm Color>Palm m505>Palm T5>Treo700w>vzw Treo700wx>Maybe the next gen iPhone next.

Posting Permissions