Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23
  1.    #1  
    As is, mine's pleasingly functional with some of the common glitches here and there. But it seems like such a gamble against the "stability" of the system to do the update given the documented problems. Some are succeeding, some aren't. I'm curious if there are users who WON'T be doing the update. I am still on the fence. (Yeah, I'm chicken doo-d of the replacement hassles, etc.).

    Therefore, since I am not utilizing an exchange server, is it advisable to do the update, all things considered?

    Preemptive apologies for any rehashing and a thanks to all 700w trailblazers posting their informative experiences.
  2. #2  
    dont do it...if you're not syncing w/ an exchange server keep it as is till they come out a flash that will be more improved. I bet by the end of the year, we'll see another flash released.
    www.luxozine.com
    Sport Elegance Delivered
  3. #3  
    I'm not doing it. I'm not seeing anything other than exchange server sync and a host of other issues brought along with it... I'll wait for yet another Palm update ending with a number other than zero.
  4. #4  
    I don't plan to switch. Not enough offered that I would want to do it. The only thing I miss on my old PPC is the ability to record individual voice calendar alerts.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

    Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
  5. #5  
    i figure i finally got the thing sorta working why mess with it. i don't really use any of the stuff it is updating
    melissa
  6. #6  
    Don't forget, there are tons of under the hood fixes at the OS level that are not listed in any documentation. I look at like and service pack for WinXP, Even though not all of the "features" are needed, the update should be applied
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaweil
    Don't forget, there are tons of under the hood fixes at the OS level that are not listed in any documentation. I look at like and service pack for WinXP, Even though not all of the "features" are needed, the update should be applied
    How do you know how much has supposedly been fixed without it being identified in documentation or elsewhere? I'm more concerned that any perceived changes will add to instability and it seems there is a reasonable basis to believe this is the case so far.
  8. #8  
    Any update is only going to be as good as MS thinks it should be. But then, based on reading the threads, it sounds like the memory/temp file problem(s) have been fixed. As long as you are REALLY careful about your sync cable during the update -- don't even think about thinking about touching it -- people seem to be having success with the actual process.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by treoshmeo
    How do you know how much has supposedly been fixed without it being identified in documentation or elsewhere? I'm more concerned that any perceived changes will add to instability and it seems there is a reasonable basis to believe this is the case so far.
    such paranoia! I have just decided that there is no reason posting on these forums any longer, or reading them for that matter because of you and your constant negative baseless posts. It's not worth my time...

    It must really suck to think the whole world is out to get you!
  10. ethant's Avatar
    Posts
    10 Posts
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    #10  
    I don't use Exchange sync, but I did depend on Wireless Sync on my 650 and before the update this didn't work at all on the 700. Post update it seems to be working fine, and the Treo is much more stable. So for me at least, the update experience has been very positive.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaweil
    such paranoia! I have just decided that there is no reason posting on these forums any longer, or reading them for that matter because of you and your constant negative baseless posts. It's not worth my time...

    It must really suck to think the whole world is out to get you!
    My opinion isn't original. It's based upon the common knowledge and wisdom about rushing towards new updates at earliest possible moment. Considering the first such update was pulled simply because of alleged zip issues, it makes me wonder what else might lurk of substance. Exactly what is the HUGE benefit of "updating" other than satisfying your insatiable curiosity?

    Thank you for the compliment. Glad to know my posts have thrown you even more out of whack than a Treo knocked offline during the update. Move quickly so the door doesn't slam you in the **** too hard on your way out the door...
  12. #12  
    I haven't applied the update as of yet. I'm still reading the results as they come in (thanks again to all those posting their results). My current situation of cleaning out windows/temp and soft resetting here and there is easy maintenance so I have no complaints.
    Treo 700w
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by glennj
    As is, mine's pleasingly functional with some of the common glitches here and there. But it seems like such a gamble against the "stability" of the system to do the update given the documented problems.
    I did the update, and I think my Treo is MORE stable than before. Don't believe everything you read - I would bet the great majority of people who have done the update are experiencing no problems and increased useability.

    The whiners & those with problems tend to bark the loudest, so I typically try to keep that in mind when I read all of the negative posts around here. There are 8 people in my office with the 700w, all of us have done the update, none of us have had any problems, and all of us agree that the phone just seems to be "working better" after the update.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by jussnb
    I did the update, and I think my Treo is MORE stable than before. Don't believe everything you read - I would bet the great majority of people who have done the update are experiencing no problems and increased useability.

    The whiners & those with problems tend to bark the loudest, so I typically try to keep that in mind when I read all of the negative posts around here. There are 8 people in my office with the 700w, all of us have done the update, none of us have had any problems, and all of us agree that the phone just seems to be "working better" after the update.
    Aha. So those people who report problems with software should be dismissed because they are "loud" and "negative." Right now the update has barely been out so I think it's premature to conclude about anything.

    Unfortunately I had to update or hard reset regarding my phone problem. Right now it works although I think it is more phone programming and turning it on and off more than anything else. I'm a heavy phone user and will also report my experience, the good and any bad that might arise.
  15. #15  
    If you don't mind your phone becoming slower, and slower, and slower, over time, because of the Windows Temp directory filling up...then don't update. I know, that I had my phone 3 months, and had 8500 files there on my phone (no wonder it was slow)...it simply took too long sifting through those file listings every time it hit Temp directory. This upgrade is REALLY about the memory management, as far as I can see. I'd do it, but I"d also plan for it to be really, really rough going...and, just when you think you're phone is "locked up" and nothing is happening, let it go a little longer. In fact, I'd plan on starting it before you go to bed, and letting it run all night, just to upgrade, and then, the next morning, when you "delete" the temp files, I'd plan on it running all day (don't even TRY to use your phone). BTW, Memory Management, is yet another in the long line of things that Microsoft seems to be ignorant of...even though it is a core computer science concept.

    Regards,

    Big
  16. #16  
    Don't know about buying a cutting edge device and not applying cutting edge updates to it...
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by big_daddy_mpd
    If you don't mind your phone becoming slower, and slower, and slower, over time, because of the Windows Temp directory filling up...then don't update. I know, that I had my phone 3 months, and had 8500 files there on my phone (no wonder it was slow)...it simply took too long sifting through those file listings every time it hit Temp directory. This upgrade is REALLY about the memory management, as far as I can see. I'd do it, but I"d also plan for it to be really, really rough going...and, just when you think you're phone is "locked up" and nothing is happening, let it go a little longer. In fact, I'd plan on starting it before you go to bed, and letting it run all night, just to upgrade, and then, the next morning, when you "delete" the temp files, I'd plan on it running all day (don't even TRY to use your phone). BTW, Memory Management, is yet another in the long line of things that Microsoft seems to be ignorant of...even though it is a core computer science concept.

    Regards,

    Big
    wow, you had me beat. I only had 5,200 files in my temp dir.

    But once I knew about that issue it was easy to periodically clear that dir and it was working fine. Now that I've applied the update it actually seems less stable to me. I had two total lockups already since I applied it last week and my battery is noticably draining faster. It ran out of juice completely one night and I swear it had 75% charge when I locked it.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by hannip
    But once I knew about that issue it was easy to periodically clear that dir and it was working fine.
    I agree with that. I clear it every other day or so and there are about 300 files there on average, which takes about 5 seconds to delete.
    Treo 700w
  19. #19  
    If active sync worked, I would probably do the update. But, I would not criticize those who wait. It may be prudent to wait for a more complete update. Afterall, the current Update does not cover all of the bugs in the 700w.
  20. #20  
    i went to the store today cuz my phone has been wacky since i did the update and it was perfectly fine before the update.. they told me that if ur phone is running fine then you dont NEED the update..
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions