1.    #1  
    So i updated my phone today with minimal problems.. Everything was successful.. However now my phone is operating SO STINKIN SLOW!! Why is this happening? Does it have anything to do with the *228 thing? I havent done that yet because i dont live in a Verizon home area..
    Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
  2.    #2  
    Please Help!!!!!!! My Treo is running incredibly slow!!! It takes about 20 seconds to do anything!!!!!
    Did you do a hard reset before or after the update?
  4.    #4  
    No, I never read any instructions to do a hard reset before or after..? Was i supposed to?
    Make sure you remove all the files in the windows/temp folder.
  6.    #6  
    I am currently removing those files. Its been going for about 2 hours.. Still going..
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tama2112
    So i updated my phone today with minimal problems.. Everything was successful.. However now my phone is operating SO STINKIN SLOW!! Why is this happening? Does it have anything to do with the *228 thing? I havent done that yet because i dont live in a Verizon home area..
    Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
    Check and see how many programs are running. You may need to stop some of them. Also, you could be low on memory. Stoping some programs will help here too.

The *228 thing does not have anything to do with the speed. It only tells your phone about changes in the network and makes sure that you don't get caught roaming in a Verizon area. Also, you do not have to be in your home area to do *228. The system will load the correct tables for your phone.

Mark
  8.    #8  
    I checked the number of programs running.. None.. Its still running slow.. I've got about half of the temp files deleted.. If it is still running slow after deleting all of the files - ill be back!!
  9.    #9  
    Well i finally deleted all 1900 items in the temp file.. My phone is definately faster.. And sometimes runs like new.. But still at times it runs very slow.. Any explanation for this? I have NO extra programs loaded to my phone that it didnt come stock with..
  10.    #10  
    Well, i'm back.. I finally called tech support and they had me do a HARD reset. This did not fix the problem (SLOOOW operating). So i got on the phone with Palm this morning as the Verizon rep could not help me anymore. The Palm rep told me this: That i probably have a single file, contact, email etc that is corrupt. And that there is no way to pinpoint which one. The only thing she said i could do is another hard reset - but this time sync the info individually: Contacts first - and see how it runs.. Then Emails - and see how it runs etc, etc... So that i would be able to find out where the corrupt file was.
    Well here was my problem/issue with that.. Once i find out where the corrupt file is - how do i know which contact, email or calender item is the one that is corrupt?!?! She said there is no way to know.. So i asked her what the point was in doing that then if ti didnt lead me to the actual problem?! She had no answer.. So basically im just screwed.. Nice huh??
    You are not totally screwed. You will have a nice paper weight.
  12.    #12  
    Seriously- is there anyone here who knows more than the Palm support lady that can actually help me????? Is it really a corrupt file or contact that is making my device run so slow?? It only happened after the update.. It seems to me that its the update - but Palm disagrees...
    If anyone could help me i would love you for life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    There are certain programs that may run poorly under AKU II. I suggest you look at additional software you have installed - especially Today plugins. These notoriously slow down Windows Mobile 5 if they were written for Pocket PC 2003 or earlier.

I doubt if the slowness is related to corrupted data - that sounds like a fudge solution to me which cannot be easily verified.

It seems more likely to me that the actual upgrade process is sometimes flaky when it comes to rewriting registry entries. The updater does its best to upgrade the registry entries on your Treo based on the new AKU II registry layout. For those who have ever endured the Windows XP upgrade, the problems you see are very similar - inexplicable problems or slowdowns. You are far better to hard reset and re-sync all your data and reinstall all programs. In that way, all your registry entries will be originated on AKU II ROM and will not have been created by a migration process.
  14.    #14  
    I have no extra programs or software running on my treo AT ALL -except what came on the device. I have some stuff (such as the Picsel Viewer) stored on my SD card, but i would think that wouldnt affect the device.. I didnt add anything to the device.
    And when i did the hard reset yesterday, i re-sync'd all of my data just like you mentioned.. I really cant figure this one out..
    Seriously- is there anyone here who knows more than the Palm support lady that can actually help me????? Is it really a corrupt file or contact that is making my device run so slow?? It only happened after the update.. It seems to me that its the update - but Palm disagrees...
    If anyone could help me i would love you for life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    u should just call verizon data support and tell them that you did the update and it is running slow.. when i called and told them that they sent me a new phone right away... thats if u have the right insurance plan or warranty plan..
  16.    #16  
    So you had the same problem i am having? Did the new phone work ok? Did it come with the new update or did you have to update it as well.. I'm just worried that if i get a new one, the update will do the same thing to the new phone as well...
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    Mine too was very, very slow right after the update - so much so that I considered trying go back to the ship ROM. I poked around and found that ActiveSync to my exchange server had been turned on (scheduled), Messaging was set to check my IMAP email acount every 30 minutes and Network and Time Zone time sync options were checked. I set AS back to manual, Messaging to manual check and Network time sync options off, soft reset and everything then worked very fast with no problems to date. After the UD I also backed up with Sprite BU, hard reset and restored and all was still great.

Well one problem - I can't get the Trial Version of Netfront 3.3 to install - says trial period has expired and exits. Since ThunderHawk II won't work properly on square screens I am back to PIE and not happy about that.

Frank
  18.    #18  
    I poked around and found that ActiveSync to my exchange server had been turned on (scheduled), Messaging was set to check my IMAP email acount every 30 minutes and Network and Time Zone time sync options were checked.
    I understand what you mean about the IMAP acount checking by itself.. But what do you mean about the ActiveSync to your exchange server had been turned on? And what do you mean about the Network and Time Zone sync options were checked?
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    I understand what you mean about the IMAP acount checking by itself.. But what do you mean about the ActiveSync to your exchange server had been turned on? And what do you mean about the Network and Time Zone sync options were checked?
    I use AS to manually sync Calendar, Contacts, and Tasks with my 1and1 exchange server account - no USB syncing because of the AS problems with USB and WM5. I do not let it schedule any syncing and kill it when it is finished. I know I am severly limited doing it this way but I also do not have any AS problems or device freeze ups.

The Network and Time Zone sync options are found in Settings>System>Clock & Alarms>More. I do not use these options and found then enabled after the 1.10 UG. The problems with these options have been discussed in this forum, pdaphonehome.com, and howardforums. Also the problems with AS and WM5 are discussed in the WM Synchronization Forum:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/fo...aysprune=&f=81

All of this stuff can lead to significant 700 slowdown - at least for me.

Frank