Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 122
  1.    #1  
    I'm not a Palm hugger but am just frustrated by the folks in Redmond who seem to have their eyes on creating the coolest stuff and forgetting the basics that we deal with 90% of the time. Examples include:

    1) Many windows require use of the stylus to navigate and the 5 way button won't function, e.g. yes-no windows. WTF is up with that? Dont they make smartphones too? Edge - Palm by a mile. You can do one handed operations all day on a palm, navigation is smartphone like or with the touchscreen - your choice. WM - I have to whip out that stylus or attempt to press little boxes with my fingers all the time. There is no consistency and it can be maddening.

    2) No easy way to time out the backlight on the keyboard. Have we still forgotten this one?

    3) Today screen is so useless without adding third party apps, e.g. I just want my appointments for the next 2-3 days in a small font on the today screen. Instead it's big by default and 2-3 appointments is all you get, for one day.

    4) Serious memory leaks. It's somewhere. Quitting all apps still usually leaves me hovering around 5-8 MB. Reset gives me 11.5 MB. Why is this so horribly managed. Blame it on developers? All of them? Not a great system. Add in the issue of IE dumping stuff and the temp folder filling up causing other challenges like activesync. On a 700w it requires at least 1 reset a day.

    5) Lets talk about AS. What a basic POS - and that is not Palm OS. Using Palm OS you can set all different kinds of sync options for each one. Did anyone in Washington look at Palm Sync?

    6) Slow. Even when it's fast it is slower than Palm OS and noticeably so. The Treo 700w doesn't help things and perhaps it is the problem if you intend to use third party apps.

    7) Third party apps are MUCH better on Palm. Not sure if this is a reflection of a bad OS or just so many mediocre programs. Examples include

    email: Flexmail is so pathetic compared to snappermail it's not funny. Deleting one email with flexmail is a bad joke - who tested the operations?
    mp3 player: areoplayer is smooth, relatively bug free, sophisticated, 5 way works like it should, etc. Best I found is pocket player on wm. Looks coolish, not nearly as bug free and operational.
    office and e-readers: iSilo is OK on both but you'd think MS or someone else could do word and excel without screwing it up. I'd take docs to go in a second. The list goes on

    8) That stupid X vs OK close window that is inconsistent everywhere. Requires third party apps to manage.

    9) Multitasking aint everything it should be on the 700w, thats for sure. I would take the 650 and its ability to have speed and remember the status of every app you used and quit. Worked extremely well, including shortcuts. Speaking of shortcuts... WHY THE HECK aren't there keyboard equivalents of menu options?? You have to go through so many menus you'd think this would be something.

    These are just a few issues but they are incredibly frustrating. I honestly wish I could go back to Palm OS. If the new company puts out a Palm phone - not a Treo because Palm Inc will screw it up - I'd be there in a second. I just think Palm may have killed that platform and it's too bad.
    Last edited by treoshmeo; 04/28/2006 at 06:02 PM.
  2. #2  
  3. #3  
    Ebay!
  4. #4  
    Windows Mobile 5 itself is the best WM yet! Obviously some of your problems are due partly to the hardware of the 700w **cough**32MB RAM**cough**, so you really FEEL those memory leaks more.

    AS is not necessarily as user friendly as HotSync, I'll give you that!

    There is TCMP for Windows Mobile available, try that. Don't forget to download all the plug-ins needed too.
    http://corecodec.org/frs/?group_id=5...se_id=224#r224

    The rest you can probably fix with 3rd party apps. But remember, many have the same complaints about the Palm OS, that you have to get 3rd party apps.

    Or like someone else said, sell the 700w. No phone is worth it if it causes you a lot of headaches!
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Moncha

    My sentiments exactly.... I thought we went over this before...... Oh, well.....
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by treoshmeo
    Why I hate Windows Mobile
    You just described why you hate the Treo 700w - clearly you don't know much about WM beyond this device. Direct your complaints at the correct culprit: Palm.
  7. #7  
    And obviously he has never really used a WM5 device or he wouldknow it is not as he states. Either that or he is just trying to spread false rumors.
  8. #8  
    After using a WM device for quite some time now, I agree with several of treoshmeo's points. However, several of his points also apply to Palm OS devices. Fortunately, there are enough 3rd party apps available to compensate for its many, many shortcomings. He is right about #7.

    Unless a Palm user is willing to shift paradigms, he/she should stick to Palm devices and be happy. I stuck it out the XV6600 and don't regret it. Having dealt with that brick for a year, the Treo 700w is a joy, It is very unlikely that I'll return to a Palm device now. I'm just waiting for a competitor to come along and knock the 700w off of its pedestal.
  9. #9  
    The multitasking benefit of WM makes up for a lot of shortcomings.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Beryl
    After using a WM device for quite some time now, I agree with several of treoshmeo's points. However, several of his points also apply to Palm OS devices. Fortunately, there are enough 3rd party apps available to compensate for its many, many shortcomings. He is right about #7.
    I have thoroughly enjoyed each and every one of the comments made here (yawn) about flogging horses and all the great apps that can be used to compensate for the many shortcomings of WM. Given my research I haven't found any that do effectively, a few covering as much as they could, eg SPB and SHBH. But in inimitable fashion, jumping on the bandwagon without providing any reason for the joy of smack talking seems to take precedent here. I thank Beryl for being polite... and does anyone have a NAME of a third party app to provide for any of the above or was that point also missed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Beryl
    Unless a Palm user is willing to shift paradigms, he/she should stick to Palm devices and be happy. I stuck it out the XV6600 and don't regret it. Having dealt with that brick for a year, the Treo 700w is a joy, It is very unlikely that I'll return to a Palm device now. I'm just waiting for a competitor to come along and knock the 700w off of its pedestal.
    That's exactly it. Palm knows they can dump garbage that is marginally good and why I hope they get their arses kicked in a few short months. Note - rumor has it they will release a GSM version of the same product with 64MB of RAM. That is infuriating if true.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    The multitasking benefit of WM makes up for a lot of shortcomings.
    I hear you but it's the basics that are just killing me. Perhaps it is the Treo 700w which kills the multitasking benefits that I am not seeing?
  12. #12  
    So you didn't take a crack at TCMP for WM(your MP3 question)? It's free, what have you got to lose?
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    So you didn't take a crack at TCMP for WM(your MP3 question)? It's free, what have you got to lose?
    Thanks for kickstarting this Lady. TCPMP is great for video. Super. I don't think its really designed to be an audio-mp3 player. Controls aren't designed for this even though it does perform tasks.
  14. #14  
    Ok, so the built-in WMP10 doesn't work well either? I thought it played MP3s, maybe I'm wrong.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    Ok, so the built-in WMP10 doesn't work well either? I thought it played MP3s, maybe I'm wrong.
    It does but it's truly horrible. Let's not even talk about lack of features. No playlists, or at least nothing simple. Worse, you can't just open a file or folder. WMP has an insane menu which is supposed to make things easy for you and instead complicates maters, e.g. "your songs", bny artist,etc. If WMP reads the files incorrectly or all the mp3 tags are not set correctly, it's a horrific mess.
  16. #16  
    Folks,

    I've been synching PDAs since 1998 (good, ole Palm 500...sigh...those were the days...simply Portable PIM...it worked fine, replaced my Franklin planner I'd had since 1992)...and by-far, ActiveSTINK is the worst implementation of a sync conduit of any I've used. I've used Palm's sync, Intellisync, and many other applications, and never have I had as many problems as with ActiveSTINK. Its like they specially trained and hired a group of total morons to build this program. EVERYTHING about it, is completely wrong. I don't want the device to sync, unless I want it to sync. I don't want Windows Media Player, to pull down every piece of Media I have on my PC...including the WAV files from the latest game I just installed...please! What were these folks thinking when they designed this thing? The latest, is that PALM supposedly, has a "customized" version of ActiveSTINK, that you MUST use with the 700w (the one that comes on the CD), and I attended a web conference at work this week, where they warned to NOT install the generic Windows Mobile 5.0 ActiveSTINK 4.1 desktop. But, guess where Palm links you on their site, if you click on downloads? You guessed it, to MS's site, where the version of ActiveSTINK 4.1 they warned you about, is in fact, what they've linked you too. What has happened to PALM? They used to be right on target with what consumers wanted/needed, and they literally created the PDA marketplace. Now it seems they have a bevy of 20 somethings, that can barely wipe their own asses!

    Regards,

    Big
  17. #17  
    The one thing I do agree with treoshmeo on is #7. Especially the thing about Docs2Go. When I had the Treo 600 I always read posts and articles about Docs2Go being better than Pocket Word or Excel. I kind of believed it but I had no idea just how much better. Now I know. It is completely dumbfounding how the makers of Word and Excel can't make a mobile version worth anything. I never had an issue opening Word or Excel files using Docs2Go. You could even edit them and keep the proper formatting. Now I can't even open some Word docs. I honestly haven't had a bad experience with Excel yet but that is probably coming. I had an email I wanted to read the other day and I opened the attached Word document to see 6 squares. That's it! Of course the Word file read fine or my desktop.

    Anyway does anyone know if Repligo will solve these issues? Can you edit docs in Repligo. Can you keep them in there native format using Repligo? Are there any other programs out there that are aspiring to step into Docs2Go's shoes?

    As for media players Pocket Player is actually pretty good for music.

    Email is definitely lacking. Since the update I can at least send and recieve with confidence. That is a good start. Now we just need some functionality. I will say that real push email is a big plus over any mobile email solution I have had before.

    I hate the app launcher. You would think that they would at least give you an option to make the start button work the same way as your desktop. Instead you have to add a 3rd party prog for that.

    There are some others but I'm tired of whining at this point.

    Edit: Apparently pocket player will occasionally try to play a song when you have it paused. It will give you a half second blast every once in awhile. That's wierd. You can try GSPlayer also. Both of them support playlists.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by BigTreo
    The one thing I do agree with treoshmeo on is #7. Especially the thing about Docs2Go. When I had the Treo 600 I always read posts and articles about Docs2Go being better than Pocket Word or Excel. I kind of believed it but I had no idea just how much better. Now I know. It is completely dumbfounding how the makers of Word and Excel can't make a mobile version worth anything. I never had an issue opening Word or Excel files using Docs2Go. You could even edit them and keep the proper formatting. Now I can't even open some Word docs. I honestly haven't had a bad experience with Excel yet but that is probably coming. I had an email I wanted to read the other day and I opened the attached Word document to see 6 squares. That's it! Of course the Word file read fine or my desktop.

    Anyway does anyone know if Repligo will solve these issues? Can you edit docs in Repligo. Can you keep them in there native format using Repligo? Are there any other programs out there that are aspiring to step into Docs2Go's shoes?

    As for media players Pocket Player is actually pretty good for music.

    Email is definitely lacking. Since the update I can at least send and recieve with confidence. That is a good start. Now we just need some functionality. I will say that real push email is a big plus over any mobile email solution I have had before.

    I hate the app launcher. You would think that they would at least give you an option to make the start button work the same way as your desktop. Instead you have to add a 3rd party prog for that.

    There are some others but I'm tired of whining at this point.

    Edit: Apparently pocket player will occasionally try to play a song when you have it paused. It will give you a half second blast every once in awhile. That's wierd. You can try GSPlayer also. Both of them support playlists.
    Ya, email definitely needs some work. I look forward to a WM5 Chatter Email port.
    Visit my smartphone website :
    Smartphone Reviews
    Reviews & news on all smartphones - including the Treo line.
  19. #19  
    I just don't understand people that are so upset with the device and hate it so much yet they continue to not only use it but come here and post about how bad it is.

    Really, if it is that bad, save yourself and the rest of us a lot of grief and move do a different platform, one that works for you!
  20. #20  
    Whoa weaweil. I definitely don't hate the device. I have been a Treo LOVER since the Treo 300. I will not buy a different phone unless it is head and shoulders above the Treo. There are some shortcomings. Especially when you are an early adopter as we all are. I know treoshmeo tone is/was pretty negative but he seems to be looking for some answers (although there aren't a lot right now). I think he made an excellent point on some of the items especially #7. As much as I wish he weren't right about that one, he is. I am sure as time goes on there will be solutions to these and other issues. I am simply trying to help him withthe little knowledge I have about possible apps.

    To close, I no one ever complained on this board then there would probably be fewer solutions to the problems we all are facing. The Treo kicks *** compared to any other phone out even with it's flaws.
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions