Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. jyong80's Avatar
    Posts
    42 Posts
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
       #1  
    Hi,

    I'm thinking of using 4smartphone for my Treo 700 but I had a few questions hopefully those of you already using it can answer.

    1) Is it possible for instant synchronization of my appointments contacts and emals from my desktop Outlook 2003 with my smartphone without actually plugging it into the computer, i.e. my secretary adds an appointment to my calander on my desktop computer while I'm in court will it show up on my smartphone, instantly or close to? and how would that work?

    2) If I do use 4msartphone how will that affect battery life on the phone? I'm one of those people that has been experiencing horrible battery life since installing 1.10 and had to disable polling of my pop3 accounts.

    3) Lastly if it is possible to syncrhonize over the air would I still be able to plug the phone into my computer and synchronize everything that way as well or would that create problems like double appointments or such? (I had this problem when I tried using verizon wirelesssync)

    Thanks for your help beforehand.
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by jyong80
    Hi,

    I'm thinking of using 4smartphone for my Treo 700 but I had a few questions hopefully those of you already using it can answer.

    1) Is it possible for instant synchronization of my appointments contacts and emals from my desktop Outlook 2003 with my smartphone without actually plugging it into the computer, i.e. my secretary adds an appointment to my calander on my desktop computer while I'm in court will it show up on my smartphone, instantly or close to? and how would that work?
    Yes that's the beauty, you don't need to be 'plugged in' to receive updates. As your secretary adds appointments and contacts they will automatically arrive on your PPC. The only downside is that your secretary will have to be logged into your Outlook. Which requires your smartphone password. But if you don't want her to have that password you could log in and leave it open all day long for her. I've had my home computer, work computer, and my laptop all logged in and syncing with the server at the same time with no ill effects.

    Quote Originally Posted by jyong80
    2) If I do use 4msartphone how will that affect battery life on the phone? I'm one of those people that has been experiencing horrible battery life since installing 1.10 and had to disable polling of my pop3 accounts.
    So far, my battery life after the update has be sporatically different as well. It seems to last less than before the update. And I only use 4smartphone and nothing else. My battery gets me throught the day, but I have to charge it every night.

    Quote Originally Posted by jyong80
    3) Lastly if it is possible to syncrhonize over the air would I still be able to plug the phone into my computer and synchronize everything that way as well or would that create problems like double appointments or such? (I had this problem when I tried using verizon wirelesssync)

    Thanks for your help beforehand.
    No once you set up your PC and your PPC to sync with the server, you only have ActiveSync set up to sync your Notes, Files, Favorites, and Music with your desktop. When I plug in my PPC, ActiveSync opens and it opens a connection to my exchange server to sync my calendar, contacts, and email. And then it connects with my PC to sync everything else.

    I hope this helps.
  3. jyong80's Avatar
    Posts
    42 Posts
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
       #3  
    Thanks for the info it was exactly what i was looking for.

    Only thing is can I do the same thing through my desktop version of Outlook 2003 which I already sync to or do I have to do everything in the online version only?

    I would prefer to be able to do everything in my desktop version and have it all on my harddrive and sync from there to the online serve rather than the online version of Outl 2003 so in case anything goes down my office still has everything to find me, etc.

    Any more info would appreciated thanks.
  4. #4  
    If you use the Professional version you can use your Desktop Outlook. That's what I'm using. I double click on the Outlook shortcut on my Desktop and Outlook opens and it asks for my 4smartphone password (there's no way around this, I've asked, so that's the only pain I have with the exchange service) and then it starts syncing my mailbox, calendar, etc.

    I believe the Xpress version is Web Only.

    Check more specs here.
    http://4smartphone.net/ServicePlans.aspx

    You can demo the service for 15days. Just make sure you back up and copy your current email settings and your current Outlook.pst and any Archive.pst files you have before you start.

    Oh, and their plans say $6.99/month, but it is really sold by the year. You have to pay for a whole year of service at a time. So that's a little deceptive, but there service is good and support is great too. Try it, you can always go back,...just make backups of everything.
  5. plasmo's Avatar
    Posts
    442 Posts
    Global Posts
    445 Global Posts
    #5  
    Quick question:

    Is it possible to sync Notes using Exchange OWA (using Xpress account, not the upgraded account)?
    4smartphone has been great, and notice that "Tasks" are available to sync, but there is no "Notes" checkbox. I guess I could convert all my "notes" to "tasks"...it seems like this function should have been added since it seems quite simple to implement.
    TRGpro --> Handera 330 --> SideKick I --> HP iPAQ H4355 (stolen) --> Navman PiN --> Treo 700w
  6. #6  
    Nope. notes can't be sync'd. I use Active Sync to keep my notes in sync with my computer and my Pocket PC.

Posting Permissions