Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi All,
    I've noticed when the "phone network setting" is set to "automatic b", it reverts to "Home" every time the 700w powered off and on. I am running the 1.10 update, and believe this occurred before the update was installed as well. Obviously, this greatly hurts coverage and use of the PRL list when traveling outside the home area. I've seen reference to this elsewhere here and on the net, but
    Verizon states:

Thank you for contacting our Verizon Wireless website. We are happy to
    assist you with your question regarding setting your phone System Select
    option from Home to Automatic B.

We apologize, as we have been unable to duplicate your issue with our
    demo Palm Treo 700w. The System Select setting should stay at the
    setting specified when device is powered off, then on, as it should not
    revert to the Home option. Also, we are not finding any information on
    the issue at the Palm website; thus, this does not appear to be a known
    issue for other Treo 700 users. We need to advise, at this time, that
    you consider resetting your device to see if that resolves the issue. If
    the reset does not resolve the issue, then we need for you to replace
    your device at your place of purchase because if the device is stuck on
    Home, then the cellular portion will not function once you leave your
    local area.

Needless to say, resets do not solve the issue.
    How many of you are also experiencing this on your Treo 700w?
    Thanks for the response!
    Mine is behaving like yours. It has been since I bought it in January. And I have updated to 1.10.
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Mine shows the same behavior (i.e., reversion to "Home") after a soft reset. This has happened pre- and post-update.
  4.    #4  
    This occurs after turning off the phone, then turning it on again....not just after a soft reset.
    Thanks for the replies
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    You are right. You can tell that I very rarely shut off my radio.
  6.    #6  
    LOL...that may be the solution...too bad we need to reset "occassionaly"
    Quote Originally Posted by kalinsky
    You are right. You can tell that I very rarely shut off my radio.

It becomes a real PITA when you travel by airplane. You have no choice but to turn the radio off when on board. Then you have to remember to change the setting each time you land. VZW needs to acknowledge this and fix it. The VZ6700 doesn't do this.
    Global Posts
    882 Global Posts
    What is the difference between automatic B and home? Which is the best to be on?
  9.    #9  
    as in the original post from Verizon:
    "...if the device is stuck on
    local area."
    Simply....
    Home looks for a Verizon signal only...if there is none, there's no signal.
    Automatic B looks for Verizon, but also uses other like networks if it can't find one.
    Global Posts
    882 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul G
    "...if the device is stuck on
    local area."
    Simply....
    Home looks for a Verizon signal only...if there is none, there's no signal.
    Automatic B looks for Verizon, but also uses other like networks if it can't find one.
    So in other word, it can put you into Roam easier. Thank good there is no roaming charges.
  11. SHV
    If one is on the 'Amerca's Choice' plan, does the Home option (assuming updated by a *228) find all of the towers that Verizon uses for their AC network, even if hosted by other carriers? I am thinking of 'extended area' stuff too.

Even if set to Auto B, don't we pay roaming charges on the AC plan if the connection is not to one in the Verizon AC network?

thanks,
    Steve
    I posted this problem about a month ago and some people made it sound like this is a non-issue.

Anytime you put the phone in flight mode or soft reset it, it will revert to the Home mode. I have never heard of a single phone ever, that did not maintain the network setting. This is absolutely rediculous. Verizon knows what the problem is. When your tech turned the phone off he probably just put the phone into standby, rather than turning the radio signals/phone off.

If there is no verizon signal you don't get any signal at all while in the home mode. It doesn't roam.
  13.    #13  
    Correct. The next reesponse:
    <verizon quote>
    Thank you for contacting our Verizon Wireless website. We are sorry to learn that you are having difficulty with your Treo 700w. We are happy to assist you with your question.

Palm has been advised of this issue and we anticipate it will be addressed in future software updates. We are unable to when Palm will release an update to remedy this issue. We understand and apologize for any frustration regarding this but we are only able to provide information regarding products or services that we are currently offering. We are unable to disclose any unconfirmed information because it would be subject to change and could raise expectations that may not be met. Our other Windows Mobile 5.0 handset, the Audiovox XV6700, does not exhibit this behavior.
    And can some one explain what automatic A is compared
    to B
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    I can't seem to chang off of Home at all. Whenever I change it to B, as soon as I go back into the menu it has automatically changed back to home. Real strange.
    Mine has been doing this as well. After a lengthy chat with VZW tech service, they sent me a replacement phone (I was also having problems connecting to the internet from non EV areas). The new phone seems to be connecting OK, but it still reverts back to "Home" after any reset. Very annoying!

Interestingly, while on the phone with the VZW techs, they told me that they were unable to duplicate the problem with their tester phone. I wish I had their phone.

What is the best way to make sure that these guys (VZW, Palm, MS?) know that this is an issue and not just an isolated occurence?
    Well Gee!

I hate to through a wrench in all this, but mine does NOT change to the Home network, it stays in the "Automatic B" mode even after turning the phone off/on and after soft resets as well. Go figure! I did the update last week.

Tom
  18. SHV
    Hi,

I am still confused on the settings and how they relate to the America's Choice plan and roaming (see my prior post). Can someone elaborate on that please?

thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewBD
    Mine has been doing this as well. After a lengthy chat with VZW tech service, they sent me a replacement phone (I was also having problems connecting to the internet from non EV areas). The new phone seems to be connecting OK, but it still reverts back to "Home" after any reset. Very annoying!

Interestingly, while on the phone with the VZW techs, they told me that they were unable to duplicate the problem with their tester phone. I wish I had their phone.

What is the best way to make sure that these guys (VZW, Palm, MS?) know that this is an issue and not just an isolated occurence?

Have them visit this board. They'd be amazed at what they learn here.
  20.    #20  
    ....I sent them the link yesterday
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast