Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I will go on record as having all of the above mentioned issues. Sometimes it will stay with A or B OR sometimes it will revert back to Home almost immediately. When I have a low signal, I can predict with certain accuracy, that it is set at HOME. Even though I'm in my HOME network, changing it to A or B seems to help.
    what is the difference between Auto A and Auto B?
    I have had this unit since it became available in January and completed the firmware upgrade last month as soon is it was released. I am a Cingular convert and find the reliability in all areas to be superior. I travel all over the U.S. (both coasts) and spend time in some fairly rural areas. I have had amazing reception everywhere and have seen no difference between Auto A, Auto B, or Home. I certainly do not worship at the altar of Verizon, but I am not seeing any practical issues with these settings. At the same time, I have the 4000 min plan w/no roaming, etc. so my risks are low; but what is the problem here? What am I missing? Now I am paranoid - checking my network status - switching over to auto B or A - but there is no discernable difference. What is the real story?
    Quote Originally Posted by phonefetish
    I have had this unit since it became available in January and completed the firmware upgrade last month as soon is it was released. I am a Cingular convert and find the reliability in all areas to be superior. I travel all over the U.S. (both coasts) and spend time in some fairly rural areas. I have had amazing reception everywhere and have seen no difference between Auto A, Auto B, or Home. I certainly do not worship at the altar of Verizon, but I am not seeing any practical issues with these settings. At the same time, I have the 4000 min plan w/no roaming, etc. so my risks are low; but what is the problem here? What am I missing? Now I am paranoid - checking my network status - switching over to auto B or A - but there is no discernable difference. What is the real story?
    If you are in the "home" mode you can only get a signal from a Verizon tower. You can't get any other cdma towers which you could otherwise roam on. Whether you pay or don't pay for roaming isn't the issue. It comes down to getting a signal or not getting one. I have this issue less than 40 minutes from Washington, DC.
    Quote Originally Posted by littlewaywelt
    If you are in the "home" mode you can only get a signal from a Verizon tower. You can't get any other cdma towers which you could otherwise roam on. Whether you pay or don't pay for roaming isn't the issue. It comes down to getting a signal or not getting one. I have this issue less than 40 minutes from Washington, DC.
    I have a perfect example of this phenomenon. While at work, I'm on the HOME network since there's a VZ tower within a half mile of the office. While at the gym, 18 miles from the office, I get very little signal while on the HOME network. When I change to Auto B, the signal changes to 4 bars because there's an Altell tower behind the building.
    I sent an email to palm. They tried to send me to verizon since it's a "network" issue. I re-explained the problem and their advice was limited to "do hard reset." I explained that I had done that and that this was an issue that needed to be corrected on their end. ...haven't heard back yet.
    I sent an email to palm. They tried to send me to verizon since it's a "network" issue. I re-explained the problem and their advice was limited to "do hard reset." I explained that I had done that and that this was an issue that needed to be corrected on their end. ...haven't heard back yet.

Don't hold your breath...
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    I travel up and down 91 from Massachusetts to Vermont on a regular basis. After the software upgrade I noticed that roaming just doesn't happen with the Treo. I would get to Brattleboro, Vermont and the Treo just flat out wouldn't connect. I know that there is a strong signal there, just not Verizon's. I called Verizon and they apologized, but had no solution. They suggested that I get another unit.
    I am well aware of the concepts in the discussion - I was simply saying that some people have voiced concerns about using the A or B settings because they might incur roaming fees. My point was that since January and about 53 flight segments all over the country including many very rural areas I have never been without a signal. I have not thought to check the setting while I am travelling (if it ain't broke, etc.), but could it be that it changes on its own? That would be contrary to the quotes in this discussion from Verizon, but I have yet to see any impact at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by phonefetish
    I am well aware of the concepts in the discussion - I was simply saying that some people have voiced concerns about using the A or B settings because they might incur roaming fees. My point was that since January and about 53 flight segments all over the country including many very rural areas I have never been without a signal. I have not thought to check the setting while I am travelling (if it ain't broke, etc.), but could it be that it changes on its own? That would be contrary to the quotes in this discussion from Verizon, but I have yet to see any impact at all.
    I live in a pretty major city (dc) and if I travel 35 minutes from DC I loose total signal in home mode. I suspect a lot of ppl are impacted by this. ...I guess my primary point is that there is no reason that the user's chosen setting shouldn't be maintained. It's just likely that everywhere you have travelled has been within range of a Verizon tower. That hasn't been the case for me and it took me a month and several calls to Verizon to figure out what the problem was.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12