1.    #1  
    With all the questions about what eats up memory on the Treo I'm wondering if there is a way to identify which processes are running in the background. The memory function only shows what programs are "running" but I suspect there might be a number of other things running in the background that don't need to be there. Is there any way to find out what these are and/or clean it up?
    Get MemMaid, that program is great and one of the features it has is exactly what you are looking for...
    Global Posts
    445 Global Posts
    You can also use S-K Tools to see all the "hidden" apps running in the background.
    TRGpro --> Handera 330 --> SideKick I --> HP iPAQ H4355 (stolen) --> Navman PiN --> Treo 700w
  4.    #4  
    I downloaded MemMaid and must say it's a cool program. What I found most intersting though is that my horrible lack of free memory (only ~10.5MB after a soft reset) is not due to memory being eaten up by vairous programs but that's just the way it is, Period. All of the processes listed after a soft reset are 'critical' programs that cannot be closed.

So basically, it's just a plain design flaw on Palm's part.