Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by treoshmeo
    I feel a little frustrated I guess. Sorry. I just can't stand reading many other posts by Treo 700w owners trying so hard to rationalize why Palm is really comprised of a bunch of good guys who only had everyone's best interests in mind. Really nothing good about this decision and I doubt anyone would have complained about the battery life if there was 64MB of RAM. I'd take that bet in a second. And if PPCTechs ever can crack this ******* we'll be able to see real benchmarks.
    treoshmeo, no apologies necessary - some of my best friends think I'm a sodomized hippie too

Part of my interest in this is the rumored (not-called-Hollywood) GSM WM5 Treo. If awggies comments here are to be believed (and at this point its quite a big if) it will have much more program memory than the 700:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...9&page=3&pp=20
    LOL... tx. If the Hollywood GSM version has 64MB of RAM then all of us should do our best to SUE THE PANTS OFF PALM because it was basically clearing out its warehouse of 32MB chips in its first release called the "700w." Welcome to suckerville basically...

Hmmm... I think I know where all the unnecessary RAM went too. I just had this message pop up on my 700w -- I had roughly 2-3MB of free MB of "storage" not RAM/program memory -- and the phone just did this while running normally. I wasn't installing anything:

Storage memory is critically low. If you do not increase storage memory, you may not be able to start some programs. Use File Explorer to delete files you no longer need, or move some files to a storage card.
    LOL... tx. If the Hollywood GSM version has 64MB of RAM then all of us should do our best to SUE THE PANTS OFF PALM because it was basically clearing out its warehouse of 32MB chips in its first release called the "700w." Welcome to suckerville basically...

Hmmm... I think I know where all the unnecessary RAM went too. I just had this message pop up on my 700w -- I had roughly 2-3MB of free MB of "storage" not RAM/program memory -- and the phone just did this while running normally. I wasn't installing anything:

Storage memory is critically low. If you do not increase storage memory, you may not be able to start some programs. Use File Explorer to delete files you no longer need, or move some files to a storage card.
    I just don't get this.. Why do you install everything to the device and not to a storage card? I install every program I can to the storage card and only install system type applications (Magic Button, Fizz Traveler, etc..) to the device. I currently have 20 programs installed 45MB of Storage free on the device.
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaweil
    I just don't get this.. Why do you install everything to the device and not to a storage card? I install every program I can to the storage card and only install system type applications (Magic Button, Fizz Traveler, etc..) to the device. I currently have 20 programs installed 45MB of Storage free on the device.
    1) If I have 2 MB of storage space, why should I care to install to an SD card? I'm supposed to have 2 MB of storage left -- STORAGE. Perhaps that it is because I've just discovered that maybe having only 32MB of RAM means that Palm is using the storage space as virtual memory because we don't have enough RAM in Windows Mobile.

2) Many of my apps require the use of WiFi or Internet, e.g. Skype. Thanks to those bastards at Palm who also didn't include built in WiFi so they could sell their overpriced WiFi SD Card, I need to yank out my SD Card and put in a separate WiFi card. These apps can be LARGE.

These are for starters. But if I'm supposed to have 60MB for storage, it means STORAGE and there is no excuse for this if it's now being used for RAM because there ain't RAM..
    What really burns me is how the advertising listed on every site (though everybody probably just cut-and-pastes) states the 700w with "128MB memory, 60MB user available" when what's really important is the RAM and that's NEVER mentioned anywhere. Just hear the phrase "32MB" and you'll snicker, whether it's a USB flashstick or a PDA.
    1) If I have 2 MB of storage space, why should I care to install to an SD card? I'm supposed to have 2 MB of storage left -- STORAGE. Perhaps that it is because I've just discovered that maybe having only 32MB of RAM means that Palm is using the storage space as virtual memory because we don't have enough RAM in Windows Mobile.

2) Many of my apps require the use of WiFi or Internet, e.g. Skype. Thanks to those bastards at Palm who also didn't include built in WiFi so they could sell their overpriced WiFi SD Card, I need to yank out my SD Card and put in a separate WiFi card. These apps can be LARGE.

These are for starters. But if I'm supposed to have 60MB for storage, it means STORAGE and there is no excuse for this if it's now being used for RAM because there ain't RAM..
    I understand both of these reason but again I find it hard to believe that there isn't stuff you can move to your SD card to free up storage space.

Im not trying to offend, but it jsut seems like every single post of yours is negative, if you hate the phone so much why don't you ditch it for something that works better for you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaweil
    I understand both of these reason but again I find it hard to believe that there isn't stuff you can move to your SD card to free up storage space.

Im not trying to offend, but it jsut seems like every single post of yours is negative, if you hate the phone so much why don't you ditch it for something that works better for you?
    1) I'm not complaining that I can't move things out of internal storage. I'm damn upset that now I HAVE TO because in addition to Palm screwing us on the 32MB of RAM, it's now also potentially affecting me in getting less actual storage too!!! In essence that "60MB usable" or so is BS since you'll need to keep the non-program running storage available to run programs as program running storage.

2) There isn't anything that will work better for me. I had to switch to a WM phone from a Treo 650 and if I went to the 6700 I'd not only lose a huge investment in software, but also in hardware. Second, the 6700 isn't yet a very good phone, an important issue with me.

What I'd like to have happen is for Treo 700w owners to enjoy their phone as much as they can, but not forget who screwed them. I'm considering bringing this information for a class action lawsuit and hoping that all of you join with a smile on your face. Demand reasonably good quality and full disclosure. It's not only your right but it's also your money.
    Quote Originally Posted by marcol
    Kupe, that argument makes sense to me but does seem contradict what Mike Calligaro said:
    Calligaro's blog post isn't about the Treo 700w specifically, it's about a theoretical WM5.0 configuration. He describes a configuration in which 32 MB of RAM would be perfectly usable. Palm didn't use the configuration Calligaro described - the Treo 700W doesn't have NOR ROM or XIP - therefore the memory gets eaten up by programs loaded during boot up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe
    Calligaro's blog post isn't about the Treo 700w specifically, it's about a theoretical WM5.0 configuration. He describes a configuration in which 32 MB of RAM would be perfectly usable. Palm didn't use the configuration Calligaro described - the Treo 700W doesn't have NOR ROM or XIP - therefore the memory gets eaten up by programs loaded during boot up.
    Kupe, I think you must have missed this bit of what Mike Calligaro said and which I quoted:

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Calligaro
    The ideal is to have the system code stored in NOR and the user data stored in NAND. That, by the way, is what the Treo 700w did.
    Where does your info that the 700W lacks NOR come from? If it's a conclusion based on the high figure of 'In use' RAM couldn't there be other explanations, big use by filesystem or display driver for instance:

http://blogs.msdn.com/windowsmobile/...29/498154.aspx
    Quote Originally Posted by marcol
    Kupe, I think you must have missed this bit of what Mike Calligaro said and which I quoted:

Where does your info that the 700W lacks NOR come from? If it's a conclusion based on the high figure of 'In use' RAM couldn't there be other explanations, big use by filesystem or display driver for instance:

http://blogs.msdn.com/windowsmobile/...29/498154.aspx
    Marcol is correct. I also read somewhere that the 700w uses a combination of NOR, RAM and Nand.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12