1.    #1  
    I use the ALK Bluetooth Copilot Live system with my 700w. Is there a golf course mapping app out there that would work with the Copilot unit - or any bluetooth unit, and is compatible with WM5.0 and the square screen? I would love to DL golf course maps and be able to check distances while playing - similar to the StarCaddy but without a standalone piece of hardware.
    Have you considered this?
    http://www.suuntocampaigns.com/G6/
  3.    #3  
    Have you considered this?
    http://www.suuntocampaigns.com/G6/
    The Suunto product looks like a great solution to analyze swing characteristics, track game statistics, and keep score, but I am mainly interested in a solution that maps golf courses and uses GPS technology advise the golfer of distances to hazards, greens, etc. from anywhere on the course.
    I dunno phonefetich (cute name), but if you run across an application that will do the trick then let me in on it. Okay?
    I have heard good things about Intelligolf - www.intelligolf.com - they are presently working on the 240x240 screen support. You can get on the notification list by sending an e-mail to: sales@intelligolf.com with "IntelliGolf Square Screen Support - Treo 700" in the subject line.
  6.    #6  
    THanks 911. I have looked at Intelligolf but missed that they are developing a variant for the 700W and other sq screen units. The distance/GPS course mapping do not look as rich graphically as some others, but this could be the right choice when it is ready.
  7.    #7  
    Update - I signed up for the Intelligolf 240 x 240 notification list and received an email stating they will be shipping the version for the square screen next month. I am looking forward to trying it.
    Hey all you golfers out there. Just went to handango to check on Intelli golf version for the 700w. To my surprise they have finally created a square screen version. Have been trying to download directly from my PDA but unable to locate the correct version for som reason. I am going to download it once I get home and head straight to the course.....very excited as i have been waiting for this type of software ever since purchasing my Treo.
  9.    #9  
    Hey all you golfers out there. Just went to handango to check on Intelli golf version for the 700w. To my surprise they have finally created a square screen version. Have been trying to download directly from my PDA but unable to locate the correct version for som reason. I am going to download it once I get home and head straight to the course.....very excited as i have been waiting for this type of software ever since purchasing my Treo.
    I DL'd the trial version directly from the Intelligolf site after getting notification of Sq Screen availability from Intelligolf. The interface is OK and I was able to DL my home golf course in Florida. Unfortunately, I am in North Carolina this week and will not be golfing (unless I get the Father's Day reprieve) until I hit New Jersey next week. The trial version gives you 3 full rounds of play with all features. I am going to use my CoPilot Bluetooth GPS/Treo 700w and play a round to see how well it works. Either way, the price is right so I will probably buy it. Some of the features are overkill for all but the most dedicated golfer. I really want GPS-calculated distances to the green and known hazards more than anything else. Keeping track of all the iron play, putting, and side bets gets a little tedious - not to mention that I do not want to be holding my phone the whole round.
    Well...went to the course yesterday with Intelli golf. I was a bit excited to try the software and went to the course after downloading my local course in NJ.

Intelli golf is marketed as a GPS software (which it is), but if your course has not been surveyed then GPS data will not be available. I was able to find a number of courses that I play in the system but none have been surveyed. Therefore the next time I go to my local course I have to survey the course with long/lat coordinates and submit to the data base. Intelli golf claims that this process is as simple as going to the 200, 150, 100, and the front, center, back of the green and and pressing the record button on your screen. You also have the option to record the location of 3 additional items per hole.

The software does have other functionality that i will definitely make good use of, but in order to get the GPS functionality to work there is a little more work that will need to happen on the users side. I went to different states where I have played golf on the course download sectionof the intelli golf website and found that a number of courses are available for download but hardly any have been surveyed. Maybe as portable/bluetooth receivers become more mainstream this will get better, but in the mean time all of us initial users during the GPS age will have to be the pioneers.
    Last edited by wny1mxo; 06/14/2006 at 07:52 AM.
    I've been using Intelligolf for years. It's a great program in that it allows you to keep score, manage side bets, and track all sorts of statistics. The GPS feature works great for me. I've had to survey the greens at my favorite courses and I make sure to upload the data to the Intelligolf database. My yardages to the front and back of the green are accurate within a yard and best of all, I don't even need to be in the proper fairway to get this information! Here's a couple of hints to help:

1. My 650's bluetooth range is limited. I find that I need to wear my GPS bluetooth receiver on my belt on the left side and keep my 650 in my left front pocket in order to maintain the bluetooth connection. I hear that the 700 has better range so this may not be an issue.

2. When surveying the greens, enter the front, middle, and back locations as you survey your putt and are waiting for your partners to finish up. This helps minimize extra time added to your round.

3. The GPS receiver needs time to warm up and establish a multi-satellite lock when first turned on. Do this well before teeing off. Also, be sure to keep the bluetooth connection active to prevent your GPS receiver from auto-powering off.

4. Remember that coordinate information is two-dimensional only. I know that elevation data is available to GPS receivers but Intelligolf doesn't use it.

5. Be willing to share your yardages with your fellow golfers. This is only fair.

Have fun!

Paul
    who wants to mess with your phone to enter all this info while playing golf???? I just want distance/yardages.
    anything that works like sky caddie?? or is it just better to but a stand alone like sky caddie
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    I have tried several programs but find them to be limited or so loaded with feature, they are slow or take to long to use. I am going to demo a product called Star Caddy on Thursday. It looks at little expersive unless to play on just a few courses. My home course is not available on the demo but am playing a course on Thursday that is. I will let you know what I think after the round. The link is http://www.starcaddy.com/. Let me know if anyone else tries this product.
    Quote Originally Posted by treolawyer View Post
    who wants to mess with your phone to enter all this info while playing golf???? I just want distance/yardages.
    anything that works like sky caddie?? or is it just better to but a stand alone like sky caddie
    The beauty of Intelligolf is that you can get as detailed or as simple as you want. At the minimum, a non-GPS'd course can be easily downloaded for free. When used on the golf course, you will be provided with the length of each hole and an easy way to record strokes and putts for each player. For the full experience, you need to get the GPS coordinates for each green. Intelligolf will then tell you the distance to the green (front, middle, and back) from wherever you are. For me, this simplifies life on the golf course since I don't need to hunt down sprinkler heads. The fact that I can do this from alternate fairways makes it even more valuable. You can then choose to enter information for each stroke in order to get a statistical view of your golf game. I don't normally do this but it is nice to know that the capability is there. I don't golf without Intelligolf.

Paul
    You might also want to take a look at golftraxx. http://golftraxx.com.

They offer a free trial version for TREO 650/700P/700W and Pocket PC.

GolfTraxx provides free downloads to your PDA of all courses in your zip code.

Several hundred courses apparently also have GPS coordinates although I haven't tried them all.

If you submit a Google Earth .kml map of your course, they will add it to their database so you can download it for free too.