Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    Did anyone else notice that there is a new bug after the update with internet explorer.

So this is what happens, I am reading Treonauts blog on my treo when a text message comes in. I switch to the messaging program to reply.

Then I open task mgr to switch back to IE, but lo...its gone. IE has closed itself on its own.

When I re open IE i have to start from home again.

Anyone else have this problem? Anyone have a fix?

Thanks
    Blile this there's more about this issue here: Internet Explorer sometimes closes by itself
    Treo 700w
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    Your issue is a little more specific than the general issue covered in the other thread, and yes that does happen to me, but for me it's with emails. So annoying!
    Device: Sprint Touch
    Accessories: Jawbone 2, 6GB Sandisk miniSD
    Editor: www.mobilegadgetnews.com
    I've noticed this as well but narrowed it down to ram starting to run low
    Global Posts
    445 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smeg36
    Your issue is a little more specific than the general issue covered in the other thread, and yes that does happen to me, but for me it's with emails. So annoying!
    Blile is describing exactly what I was (trying) to also describe in that thread I started above... I had no problems multitasking and switching back and forth btw programs before the update. Now, it's hit-or-miss on whether the program will completely close, or just minimize in the background when switching tasks.

I think the times when PIE shuts down by itself while "no other programs" are running, may be when ActiveSync automatically runs in the background checking Exchange server, so RAM goes low, and decides to close PIE.

This problem also happens with trying to run other programs as well (eg. running SiruCE then having Windows Media start to play your Sirius channel...normally you could minimize windows media [while the music is playing] and go back to SiruCE to choose a different channel...but now SiruCE always seems to shut down, and requires you to run the program again).

This is probably a memory issue, but it wasn't an issue prior to the update.
    TRGpro --> Handera 330 --> SideKick I --> HP iPAQ H4355 (stolen) --> Navman PiN --> Treo 700w
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    Maybe refine it further. it happens to me even when I have 10m of ram and no other programs running besides pie. Also, I am not using exchange or any push services.

Is there any way we can notify palm about this so they can fix it?

Palm / MS developers should read these forums like the Bible. Most of you guys are far more savvy than those tecs getting paid to do what you all do for free. IMHO :-)
    i'm getting errors on some program called tmail.exe and some other ones during sync'ing w/ mail. Weird.
    www.luxozine.com
    Sport Elegance Delivered
    Thanks for sending me here plasmo. I agree whole heartedly. Something is causing PIE to close. It's a pain. Especially with programs like Newsbreak, where you read a news item, click on a link to read more in PIE, and then you want to go back to Newsbreak and it's closed. Then I open Newsbreak and PIE is closed.

I haven't narrowed down wether it's ram related or not, but my gut says from watching my ram levels dip so low shortly after running Activesync a few times that there is an open hole somewhere leaking memory and I can't have as many programs open as before the update.
    Global Posts
    445 Global Posts
    I think I found a possible workaround for the Application closing problem we are describing above:

Now I can switch back and forth from PIE and Newsbreak by minimizing the Apps without them closing by itself. You need a program that can manage running Processes like S-K Tools (http://s-k-tools.com/sktools/feat.html) - there are probably other programs which can do the same thing:

1) Open the first App you want (eg. PIE)
    2) Minimize PIE so it is running in the background
    3) Using S-K Tools, goto the Process section and find the App you want to stay open (PIE)
    4) Go to Actions and click on Add to "Do not Close List"
    5) Now repeat the same process for any other programs you want to keep from getting Killed (eg. Newsbreak, SiriuCE, etc).

So far, the above workaround seems to work without problems with Activesync/push features getting in the way. If someone else who can try the above to confirm, it will be appreciated.
    TRGpro --> Handera 330 --> SideKick I --> HP iPAQ H4355 (stolen) --> Navman PiN --> Treo 700w
    Thanks plasmo,
    How much memory does SK tools use to run in the background like that?
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    I'll give it a try now and report my results. Thanks for the tip.
    Global Posts
    445 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrod
    Thanks plasmo,
    How much memory does SK tools use to run in the background like that?
    You can close SK Tools afterwards (dont need to keep it running in the background )
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    Seems to be working so far! Even before the update I couldn't keep PIE and Agile both open for long before one or the other closed. So far they seem to be working very well together with the SKTools fix.
    Global Posts
    445 Global Posts
    That's great that it works. I did try to overwork the 700w by opening multiple apps (PIE, Newsbreak, SiruCE, ActiveSync, and Windows Media Player) to all run at the same time with the fix above, but eventually at least 1 app shuts down...though now I can run a multiple # of apps (within reason) simultaneously now.

Update: The SKTools fix changes survives a soft-reset! whew!
    I tested it after soft-reset, and currently I have Outlook E-mail, NewsBreak, PIE, Agile Messenger, and ActiveSync all running in the background without problems. I have 5.9M ram left, but I think any more programs would shut down an application for sure.
    Last edited by plasmo; 04/26/2006 at 10:38 PM.
    now i have to install more programs just to mutitask.this is pissin me off.i cant run 2 programs at one time what is palm doing.i hope they fix the update.I cant wait til the verizon 700p comes out.windows is not made for this pda.
    i have a treo 700w for sell.
    its the update for sure because i had no problem before.I had aglie,internet,and windows media with no problem.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    When I installed SK Tools I got "application error" "Do you want to send report" ... hmmmm
    It seems to work fine.. not sure why it did that. I tried twice and got the same thing.

Just wondering if anyone elso saw that.

THANKS!

SK Tools works good!!

Paul G
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    After the update, I experienced similar problems on apps closing. I suspected that the update changed the memory threshold for closing apps from 2 MB to 5 MB. I called Palm Tech Support and they confirmed the update did change the memory threshold for closing apps from 2 MB to 5 MB. This change is not an unintentional bug, it was a design decision. I explained to the rep that push email can be stopped without notice by ActiveSync closing, and the upgrade severly limited one of the better features of Windows Mobile, multitasking. Hopefully, an update to the update will correct this problem. Perhaps, others should call Palm Tech Support, and let them know the problems caused by the memory change for closing apps. If enough call, maybe we will get a quick fix.
    I can no longer play windows media files in the background while using TomTom after the update. I installed SKTools and instead of the music stopping totally when using TomTom it skips often, I believe when SKTools is trying to prevent Windows Media from closing. So, SKTools does not help in this situation. Can I go back to 1.02?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast