Global Posts
    445 Global Posts
    Noticed that ever since the Update, my PIE sometimes closes by itself...even when things are idle and I am reading a webpage - PIE just shuts down and goes to the Today screen! I have noticed this happening several times so far...all after the update had been performed.

Has anyone else noticed this?
    TRGpro --> Handera 330 --> SideKick I --> HP iPAQ H4355 (stolen) --> Navman PiN --> Treo 700w
    Yes - it's not closing down, it's crashing. Is it possible you have edited the registry to redirect the cache/cookies/history to write to the SD card? For some reason that seems to reduce its stability.
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    Yeah, I have. The few times it happened to me I received an email, selected View from the notification, and PIE closed. I had plenty of RAM, and my temp internet files aren't stored on my SD (which previously caused the problem for me). Anyone got ideas?
    Device: Sprint Touch
    Accessories: Jawbone 2, 6GB Sandisk miniSD
    Editor: www.mobilegadgetnews.com
    I've never seen this after extensive IE use before and after the update. I have never modified any PIE registry settings.
    I have this before the update and waiting to see it afterwards. Cache has been tweaked to go to the card but it often crashed with lots of memory available before that modification.
    I have noticed with several programs, both before and after the update, that if I'm in th eprogram, then go to the today screen, the program just goes away and has to be restarted from scratch. Happens with PIE, Ostia GPS, and NetFront. I had thought this was a memory-savingn 'unintended feature' and just lived with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by skipster
    I have noticed with several programs, both before and after the update, that if I'm in th eprogram, then go to the today screen, the program just goes away and has to be restarted from scratch. Happens with PIE, Ostia GPS, and NetFront. I had thought this was a memory-savingn 'unintended feature' and just lived with it.
    It is. There is a 32 process limit, and programs will also be closed if memory is needed.

Surur
    Well, I have now become a victim of this PIE crash. I just don't get it...it don't have much in the way of third party software installed...I've "cleaned out" all but the major processes...and yet I'm now having PIE crash on me for no reason while I'm using it. Throw that in with continuous soft resets...the 20 second delay between hitting the start button and actually seeing the menu pull down after such resets...

It is clear beyond a doubt that Palm does no real beta testing of their products before rolling them out. If they would have stuck this thing in the hand of a few executives before launch I'm positive many of these issues would have cropped up. If they did do that and did nothing about those issues, then they are just a-holes.
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    I've owned, used, and played with one of their beta units. Trust me, they do beta testing. That thing was so riddled with bugs and problems.
    Device: Sprint Touch
    Accessories: Jawbone 2, 6GB Sandisk miniSD
    Editor: www.mobilegadgetnews.com
    Quote Originally Posted by rdstoll
    Throw that in with continuous soft resets...the 20 second delay between hitting the start button and actually seeing the menu pull down after such resets...
    "continuous"? Every minute? Are they spontaneous? Or, did you mean "I'm frequently soft resetting my device". If so, how often are you initiating those resets?
    my IE crashed on me last night and the night before since the update....i dont use it that often.....AND my WMP just dies and locks up also....im so pissed i took this update!
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    In version 1.02, the system starting closing open applications when free memory fell to around 2 MB. I believe that Palm raised that free memory threshold for closing applications to around 5MB with version 1.10. When you view your email, your memory probably dropped below the new threshold (5MB?), and the system closed other apps that were open, including IE. It is not a crash in the traditional sense, just the new update doing its job of closing apps when memory falls below the new threshold.

IMHO, the increase for closing applications from 2 MB? to 5 MB? was a very serious mistake by Palm that in reality eliminated the ability to multitask to any great extent. It also has caused push email to stop by closing ActiveSync without warning. If Palm had delivered the Treo 700w with 64 MB instead of 32 MB, then I could see the increase. When the average user is lucky if he or she has around 10 MB free before leaks, someone in Palm goofed. Although I have tested push email extensively, I do not need the feature. Unless Palm releases a quick update to fix this problem (or exchanges our Treo's for unit with 64 MB, dream on Jim), I am considering calling tech support, and asking to return to verison 1.02 so I can multitask again. Multitasking is one of the best features of the Windows Mobile platform
    Quote Originally Posted by jimtravis
    In version 1.02, the system starting closing open applications when free memory fell to around 2 MB. I believe that Palm raised that free memory threshold for closing applications to around 5MB with version 1.10.
    If this is actually what Palm did and is causing the IE crashes, then these guys are just plain stupider than Forrest Gump. How, with all the griping about the lack of memory that shipped with this product, can Palm further restrict resources by having processes automatically closed if memory falls below 5MB instead of 2MB?
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    I only have this problem after the update. Never had the problem before the update. I do not have the cache mapped to the SD card by the way.
    Global Posts
    445 Global Posts
    I posted a workaround "fix" that seems to bypass the 5MB auto-close bug in this thread ... seems to work but it would sure be better if Palm would fix it themselves.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=112649
    TRGpro --> Handera 330 --> SideKick I --> HP iPAQ H4355 (stolen) --> Navman PiN --> Treo 700w
    Quote Originally Posted by jimtravis
    In version 1.02, the system starting closing open applications when free memory fell to around 2 MB. I believe that Palm raised that free memory threshold for closing applications to around 5MB with version 1.10.
    Given the number of PIE crashes I've had since the update, I've been able to check my resources during the time that it has been happening and I'm consistently in the 10MB range, so I'm not so sure there is the issue of it automatically shutting down once it gets below a certain point.

Seems to me that it was just a bad update that I have to live with now. No wonder why they pulled it off the site.