Global Posts
    879 Global Posts

Super neat.... cant wait to play with this....VoIP baby! (VoIP functionality is only available for Windows Mobile 5.0):

Microsoft Office Communicator Mobile Overview

The Communicator Mobile client is designed to extend the reach of Live Communications Server 2005 using Windows Mobile powered devices. Communicator Mobile has a look and feel similar to the desktop version of Microsoft Office Communicator 2005 and ensures that access to the capabilities provided by Live Communications Server 2005 can continue when people are away from their desks.

Read more here: http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...o/default.mspx
    Very cool indeed.
    -------Current Devices--------
    Nextel: Motorola i930, i880
    Sprint: AirPrime CDMA PCMCIA, Samsung A900M, M610, Sanyo 8400, DLX
    Cingular: SE S710a, Treo 650 Unlocked, 3125 "Startrek", Blackjack, Sync
    Verizon: Samsung SCH-i730 WM PPC, Treo 700w WM5 PPC, Sierra EVDO PCMCIA, Black Q

BT headsets: Jabra BT110, 500, JX10 II, 350V; Motorola H700, H300, H605; Palm Treo; Plantronics Voyger 510, 640e, 650e; BlueAnt X3 Micro

A2DP: Mot S9, HS820; Jabra BT8010
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Yes.. with Microsoft Office Communicator you can have the ability to be loged in to MSN, Yahoo, and AIM at the same time...like trillian.
    sooo this d/l for wm5 do you have to have something else to make this work?
    www.luxozine.com
    Sport Elegance Delivered
    lol i was just going to ask the same question foofighter. I think we need a Live Communications Server from what I understand.
    bummer
    www.luxozine.com
    Sport Elegance Delivered
    Yes you have to have Live Communication Server installed. This basicaly is the mobile client for LCS. Now, If you have LCS installed then it lets you see anyone that is in your company GAL as well as people that you add from MSN, AOL and Yahoo.

It works very well! Nothing better then needing to get in touch with someone at work, who is not in your communicator list then to be able to type their name and see if they are on-line
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    I am looking into providing a hosted Live Communications Server service in addition to Exchange...
    Great. Another over-hyped Microsoft product that will fall woefully short of expectations due to bugs and just plain poor programming.

Maybe they should focus on stabilizing WM5 before rolling out all these "cool" features.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    LOL..someone's a little jaded.

This is not a part of WM5. It is an add on application similar to the add on application to Microsoft Dynamics CRM 3.0 for Windows Mobile or any of the thousand of third party applications.

So far compared to other IM applications (Agile Messenger, etc.) this one seems really good and mature...
    This is promising. I'll be looking out for the hosted LCS service to become available.
    Has anyone tried to use this as a free 3rd party IM app for Yahoo / MSN without the LCS piece?
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VZWuser
    Has anyone tried to use this as a free 3rd party IM app for Yahoo / MSN without the LCS piece?
    You canít... even with LC Server there is a monthly licensing fee for connectivity to third party IM's....and registration requirements.

It does do company to company connections at no additional cost. Say you have a partner or supplier you want to have secure, encrypted and archived (into SQL Server) IM's (maybe a regulatory requirements in some businesses)...you could have your LC Servers to talk to one another.

This is an enterprise solution....that meets business needs but could be utilized by consumers/SOHO users by way of a hosting provider.

The licensing fee structure is kind of on the pricy side...Donít know how many people would be willing to pay ~$6 a month for IM service...archiving would cost extra im sure...and im only guessing at the $6 right now.

The whole telco (VoIP) integration is interesting but not something I have had a chance to use since it only works with certain phone system...