Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    does anyone have the original instructions to follow for running the update? I am considering running the old file, but no longer can find the actual page of instructions they originally had.

am I just too impatient?
    Quote Originally Posted by treoshmeo
    New press release from Verizon Wireless regarding the above:

"We are sorry for the significant time it has taken to recompress the zip file. At Verizon Wireless we are committed to the utmost in quality and customer care. We are currently testing it 500,340 times to ensure that every one of our current 700w customers will be able to open this file. We assure you that there are no other problems with this update and it will be available again shortly upon the conclusion of the testing."
    Why 500,340 times and not 500,339 ? . It's not like they have that many (500k) Treos out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by masseyc_99
    does anyone have the original instructions to follow for running the update? I am considering running the old file, but no longer can find the actual page of instructions they originally had.

am I just too impatient?

No, I did the last update even after all the nagtive input. The directions I used were on the treocentral.com website, were it tells you about the update. It helped me with it, and YES, no problems over here. It actually helped out the TReo a bunch. A lot quicker and those added bonuses. Let me know how it goes.

Here alittle asurrance on what Palm had to say about the pull of the updater 1.10.:

Those people can relax. A Palm spokesperson has released the following explanation:

After posting the 700w update, Palm received feedback on an issue that appears to be affecting a small percentage of 700w customers running the update. Some decompression software applications may be having difficulty decompressing the .zip file downloaded from the website and, as a result, the installation process will not start. Palm is looking into adjusting the updater, as well as reviewing customer feedback on the installer.

Palm and Verizon Wireless are committed to customer satisfaction and are working together to provide this update to our customers as quickly as possible.
    At this point, the update has not yet been re-posted on Palm's site, nor has the company revealed when it will be again be available.
    Last edited by ikg2004; 04/27/2006 at 01:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ikg2004
    The directions I used were on the treocentral.com website, were it tells you about the update.
    the problem is that since the update has been pulled off the site, the directions are no longer there. I was hoping someone had a cached version of that page ...
    Treo™ 700w Updater 1.10
    for Verizon Wireless smartphones

Posted April 19, 2006

• What does this update do?
    • Before you start
    • Download & install
    Contact Verizon Wireless for additional assistance with this update.
    The Treo 700w Updater installs the latest software on your smartphone. It is designed to update your device while preserving your data. In some instances, user set preferences may not be retained after updating.
    This software will not work on any other Windows Mobile devices.

• Enhances email capabilities for more support of push email solutions, such as WirelessSync and GoodLink™, and of synchronization capabilities, such as the ability to maintain an "always on" data connection after POP or IMAP email synchronization and the ability to auto-synchronize all email accounts based on user setting².
    • Updated memory management
    • Pictures and Videos enhancements
    • New Wireless Manager provides an updated interface for turning wireless radios on and off on your 700w smartphone
    1 - Exchange Server 2003 Service Pack 2 (SP2) upgrade required for Direct Push Technology.
    2 - Within wireless coverage area only. Email and web require data services from a mobile service provider at an additional cost. ISP and/or VPN may also be required.
    Do you need this update?
    1. Press Start
    2. Select Settings.
    3. Select the System tab.
    4. Open About.
    5. Go to the Phone tab.
    6. Look at the Software Version. What do you see?
    o TREO700W-1.02-VZW:
    Yes, you should install this update.

System requirements
    • Palm Treo 700w smartphone for Verizon Wireless
    • Windows 2000 or XP
    • Smartphone must be connected to power adapter and the sync cable throughout the update.

Do Not ...
    • Have ActiveSync 4.1 installed on your desktop PC
    • Connect your smartphone to the ActiveSync cable and sync before running the update
    • Turn off antivirus software, screen savers and power saving on your desktop PC before running the update
    • If using a laptop, ensure it is powered during the update
    • Make sure that there are at least 2 MB of available storage memory on your smartphone (click here to see how)
    • Turn off any passwords on the device (info)
    • Lock or suspend your desktop PC during the update
    • Remove the sync cable during the update
    • Remove the battery from your smartphone during the update
    • Remove the power adapter cable during the update
    Sprite Backup users: Do not perform a full restore from backups you made prior to installing the Treo 700w Updater. If you use the Advanced restore features, do not restore the registry from pre-update backups.
    IT professionals: See these step-by-step instructions for deploying Microsoft Windows Mobile® 5.0 powered devices in an IT infrastructure that is based on the Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2003 (Windows SBS) server software:
    • Microsoft.com: Deploying Windows Mobile 5.0 with Windows Small Business Server 2003

o Do you use Verizon's Wireless Sync service? Click here for special instructions.
    2. Decompress the file to a temporary folder.
    3. In the PalmTreo700WUpdater folder that you decompressed, double-click SETUP.EXE. Follow the onscreen instructions to install the desktop part of the updater.
    Double-click the Palm Treo 700w Updater icon on your Windows desktop to begin updating your smartphone.
    You must accept the End User License Agreement to move forward with this update.

Warning: Please do not unplug the AC adapter from your smartphone or try to stop the update while it is in progress. If you stop the update partway through, your smartphone will be inoperable until you complete the update.
    While the update is running, your phone will be inactive. You will see the status of the update on your desktop PC screen along with the estimated time remaining to complete the update. The process takes about 35 minutes.

5. Once the update is complete, you will see a "Congratulations" screen on your desktop PC and on your smartphone.
    6. Perform a soft reset.
    7. Now remove all zero KB .tmp files from the Windows\Temp folder on your smartphone:
    A. Disconnect your smartphone from the sync cable.
    B. Press Start . Then select Programs, then File Explorer.
    C. From the Show menu at the top left, select My Device.
    D. Select the Windows folder, then select the Temp folder.
    E. Press Menu. Select Edit, then Select All.
    F. Press Menu again, and select Delete. When asked, confirm the deletion. Warning: Depending on the number of files you have, it may take up to 30 minutes to delete everything. Your smartphone will not be usable during this time, and it may appear to be frozen.
    G. When all items are deleted, the Temp folder will be empty.
    8. You are now ready to go ahead and begin taking advantage of your newly updated Treo 700w smartphone!
    If you wish, you can remove the desktop part of the updater using Add or Remove Programs in the Windows Control Panel (look for "Palm Treo 700w Updater").
    o "Data Connection Blocked"
    • Windows Mobile screen appears, but updater does not appear to have completed
    • Updater freezes at 'Copying files'
    • Some preferences changed after installing the updater:
    o Buttons
    o Other Settings
    • More FAQs ...

More Treo 700w support downloads
    • Picsel PDF Viewer: Update to version available on Treo 700w CD
    • Sprite Backup: Award-winning backup and restore software
    • New Treo 700w User Guide that includes the enhancements provided by the Treo 700w Updater

Be sure to re-activate your smartphone after the update. Dial *228 and then select option 1.

======================================

Hope that helps. Of course the links won't work, but hopefully this will be sufficiant.

Tom
    Does anyone have the file???? How can I get it???? FTP????
    when I download this 700w updater file and try to run the setup.exe file, I get an error message saying that the updater.msi file is not found. anyone have this file lurking anywhere?

thanks!
    Do not use Winzip or extracting in Windows XP. Go to www.rarlabs.com and download WinRAR. After you install it, right click on the .zip file and choose "Extract to ...."

This will make the files extract properly
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    This is what they are saying is the main reason why they pulled the update...at least thats all they are telling us...the file name has special characters in it (tm and R) and some zip extraction programs dont handle them correctly... winzip worked for me but the built in extraction util in Windows XP did not.

You can rename the msi file to take out the funny characters and then go into the ini file and specify the new name in there...or go into the ini file and find the file name it is looking for and rename the msi file to the same name... you should be able to run setup.exe after that... I also heard just running the msi file directly works too(according to others on here).

...or just wait for the new update to come out...as the old one sometimes would generate an error message (on the PC) at the end of the update process.

You can imagine the number of calls VZW got on the update process!

I mean we are all realatively experts compared to the standard consumer....
    Activesync 4.1 is not working on my computer. Is there a way to install the updater without activesync? Why don't they create a file that downloads wirelessly? The treo is a cell phone afterall.
    Quote Originally Posted by likestech
    Activesync 4.1 is not working on my computer. Is there a way to install the updater without activesync? Why don't they create a file that downloads wirelessly? The treo is a cell phone afterall.
    Try the AS 4.2 beta. You can get it at microsoft.com and is supposed to have lots of fixes...
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaweil
    Try the AS 4.2 beta. You can get it at microsoft.com and is supposed to have lots of fixes...
    Weaweil, could you please provide a link? I didn't see it when I searched Microsoft.
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaweil
    Do not use Winzip or extracting in Windows XP. Go to www.rarlabs.com and download WinRAR. After you install it, right click on the .zip file and choose "Extract to ...."

This will make the files extract properly
    Hi there again Weaweil... Extract to what??? Does WinRAR register as the default software for unzipping files????
    Quote Originally Posted by elmaldonado
    Weaweil, could you please provide a link? I didn't see it when I searched Microsoft.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobi...ivesync42.mspx
    Thanks Wea!
    Quote Originally Posted by elmaldonado
    Hi there again Weaweil... Extract to what??? Does WinRAR register as the default software for unzipping files????
    After you intall WinRAR, you can right click on the updaterfile and choose the option to extract it to a folder of the same name. Then go into the folder and run the setup.exe...

When you install, you get the option to associate it to different file types.
    Thanks Weaweil!
    From the Palm Site:
    Note: This update has not been modified from the one posted earlier on the Palm.com web site. This download includes changes that affect the installation process only. If you have already run the Treo 700w Updater 1.10 successfully, you do not need this update.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast