Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    I updated my Treo 700w two nights ago. I took the device off the charger yesterday and today at approx. 7AM. Yesterday the battery died around 4PM. Today there is only at 30% left, so far and its only 2:25PM.

This seems to be caused by Outlook email. I use Gmail and I have the messaging program set to check for messages every 30 minutes. However, since the update, my connection is always on, and it checks for email continuously, seemingly ignoring my setting to check every 30 minutes.

I get messages almost instantly, which is nice, but needless to say, my battery is being severely drained by this situation.

Any ideas on how to fix this?
    im at 73% right now and i disconnected the treo from the charger at 8am this morning.
    www.luxozine.com
    Sport Elegance Delivered
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    i pulled mine off the charger at 10:15 and im at 88% 1 1/2 hours later. I dont have outlooking pulling but i do have push setup. this does not look good.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbee21
    i pulled mine off the charger at 10:15 and im at 88% 1 1/2 hours later. I dont have outlooking pulling but i do have push setup. this does not look good.
    Couple this with a BT HS and you're in deep 5hit.
    Pulled mine off at 6:45am and have 89% left. I use push email from exchange and have had about 30-40 emails today.
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    i had like 2 emails at the point in my post. doesnt seem to be the amount. wonder why other people arent talkin bout this. at this rate gonna be tough to make it through a day.
    Last edited by jbee21; 04/21/2006 at 04:11 PM.
    I just did the update last night, but so far it DOES appear to me that the battery is running down faster than before. We will see.

Tom
    I agree this does not look good. I unplugged mine this morning at 6:00. I've talked on it about 10 minutes, surfed the internet about 15 minutes, and other wise just checked emails. I'm down to 28%.

If there isn't a solution, I want to go back to pre-upgrade. A phone that will not last a whole day will be useless.
    did you go back and turn off and tune the setting back to where they were before the update? like turn beaming off, adjust screen brightness and such? that makes a huge difference...
    hm I've been on battery since 7am this morning (6.5 hours ago), made 6 calls lasting a total of 30 minutes, surfed internet for about 20 minutes, and had about 30 emails come down through push, as well as Exchange syncs of calendar, and I'm at 82%.

are you guys charging completely? i wonder whats wrong. maybe you have something running in the background that keeps sending/receiving data?
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by djp24
    This seems to be caused by Outlook email. I use Gmail and I have the messaging program set to check for messages every 30 minutes. However, since the update, my connection is always on, and it checks for email continuously, seemingly ignoring my setting to check every 30 minutes.

I get messages almost instantly, which is nice, but needless to say, my battery is being severely drained by this situation.

Any ideas on how to fix this?
    I saw the exact same thing after I did the update yesterday. Today with the same amount of usage, I'm still at 80%. One thing I have noticed, my Treo does not seem to connect as often today as yesterday. Seemed it was always connected after I did the initial udpate.

D
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    After the update the Messaging (Outlook) program continuously checks for email messages, even though my setting say to check for messages every 30 minutes.

This seems to be a bug in the update and it draining my battery completely within 9 hours.

I did not have this problem before the update.

Anyone know of a fix?
    I had the axim fix set up prior to the upgrade but after the upgrade it won't keep the settings. I'm thinking that Activesync may be the culprit.
    I'm also noticing increased battery drain.
    Global Posts
    445 Global Posts
    Update with Push email set up definately drains more battery, even on my extended Seido, I have only 10% left at 7pm. Usually at this time with similar usage, I have about 35%.
    TRGpro --> Handera 330 --> SideKick I --> HP iPAQ H4355 (stolen) --> Navman PiN --> Treo 700w
    Make sure you are using the Schedule in Activesync. I have Push set up but I only have it enabled from 8:00am until 6:00 PM. After that I have it pulling every 30 min. This should help with battery life.
    Battery drain will be based on several factors:

- Heartbeat time. Exchange will adjust this based on data it collects over time. If your work firewall is configured to drop ssl tunnels after a short amount of activity the the Treo will connect to send heartbeats much more often. This could be one reason when some Treo owners are seeing a much quicker battery drain.

- Signal strength. When your Treo has a weak signal much more power output is used when transmitting.

- Extra mail accounts. I have noticed that after the update my non exchange accounts are being checked every time a heartbeat occurs. I had to remove my home Verizon DSL e-mail account from the Treo. For some odd reason this account takes 45 seconds just to login. It seems that the Treo does not respect the sync settings that are specified. I even removed the account from being checked in options and it was still being checked at each heartbeat.

- EVDO vs 1xRTT I have been in an EVDO area all day. My home is in 1xRTT land so I will need to see tonight if battery drain is worse.

It is really irritating to disconnect the dialup session only to have activsync immediately reconnect it. I could see this really killing the battery if you're signal is popping in and out.

That being said I really liked the SMS notification.....When it worked. At night when the SMS network was not so overloaded SMS messages were delivered much more reliably. During the day an SMS notifications were hit and miss. This is really a shame as the SMS notifications kept battery life to a minimum and when they did arrive, time to activesync was just as fast as with direct push.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    I don't use an exchange server. After the update my Treo always maintains an EVDO connection and constantly checks for email messages, i.e. every 30 seconds or so, even though I have messaging set to check for messages every 30 minutes.

Since the update my Treo has ignored my settings, and as you can imagine the battery drain is severe if its checking for messages every 30 seconds.
    One fatal flaw with direct push is that if activesync is closed on the device NO messages are delivered. Period.

With SMS notifications when an sms sync notification arrives at the treo activesync is launched and the sync occurs. After the sync the data connection is dropped. This is by far a much better setup. SMS delivery is quite another thing. On the other hand if activesync is closed on the treo you will never get messages. With SMS at least messages will start to flow eventually.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    In theory, all things being equal, Direct Push is more efficient (lower battery usage) then AUTD (the SMS notification method).

All sorts of variables come into play though... and a lot of them may be out of your control... (such as the firewall config and Exchange Server config).... there are some settings on the server/router side of things that can effect battery life with Direct Push. Those settings may not be very evident or straightforward for the admins to implement….. most admins wont make the efforts to do them as they will most likely stop at the point of direct push just working.…also I suspect a lot of firewalls may not even have the option for some of the settings….like the ones we use at my day job from Juniper…. Haven’t checked out Cisco’s to see if you can do it on theirs…but I do know it is supported on ISA Server 2004.

There is a white paper on deploying Direct Push in the enterprise from Microsoft but I have not read it yet so I don’t know how good it is or if all the efficiency tricks are mentioned but I would hope so…

Also if you are in an 1xRTT data area life sucks

I know a lot of this may sound complicated and I hesitate to post it….so just ignore my ramblings
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast