Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Global Posts
    445 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bakerkm45
    It seems that some are getting as good or better battery life but many (myself included) are getting far worse battery life. This began directly after my update (which otherwise went perfectly) so there is clear causality.

My guess is that it involves those of us who use Hotmail and/or Pocket MSN. I'd bet that those who have battery drain problems have those services configured. Problem is, there is no way to delete them or turn them off as far as I can tell. For instance, my Hotmail account isn't even listed in the email accoutns screen so I don't have a way of deleting it. And Pocket MSN offers precious little in the way of configurable options.

Bottom line: I'd bet that folks who have the update but not MS products or email services installed don't have near as many battery life issues.
    Bakerkm45,
    I also notice about 30% worse battery life immediately after the Update as well (and I use the Extended Seido 2400 mAh battery too!)-
    But I don't use Hotmail/POP/or Pocket MSN at all. However, I DID set up Push Exchange features using Mail2Web with my Gmail being forwarded to that using POutlook E-mail.
    TRGpro --> Handera 330 --> SideKick I --> HP iPAQ H4355 (stolen) --> Navman PiN --> Treo 700w
    Quote Originally Posted by plasmo
    Bakerkm45,
    I also notice about 30% worse battery life immediately after the Update as well (and I use the Extended Seido 2400 mAh battery too!)-
    But I don't use Hotmail/POP/or Pocket MSN at all. However, I DID set up Push Exchange features using Mail2Web with my Gmail being forwarded to that using POutlook E-mail.
    Interesting. Do you mean you dont' USE Hotmail or Pocket MSN, or it's not INSTALLED? Because maybe Pocket MSN is trying to connect regardless of whether you use it or not. It did come installed with my Verizon phone so I'm certain, unless it's been somehow removed by the user, most folks have it installed whether they like it or not (shocking with a MS product!!)

I know that when I am talking on the phone, after a couple of minutes a message pops up saying that Pocket MSN was unable to access my broadband connection. The connection is in a sort of "hold" mode, I know, when voice communications are in use. So that's my only clue as to what is trying to access the broadband connection - Pocket MSN.

Am I way off base here?
    Global Posts
    445 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bakerkm45
    Interesting. Do you mean you dont' USE Hotmail or Pocket MSN, or it's not INSTALLED? Because maybe Pocket MSN is trying to connect regardless of whether you use it or not. It did come installed with my Verizon phone so I'm certain, unless it's been somehow removed by the user, most folks have it installed whether they like it or not (shocking with a MS product!!)
    Nope, I have never used Pocket MSN, or Hotmail at all. (it is installed, I just never used it pre- and post- update) I have never configured anything in the Pocket MSN App, so I don't think it is trying to access the Net on my 700w.
    TRGpro --> Handera 330 --> SideKick I --> HP iPAQ H4355 (stolen) --> Navman PiN --> Treo 700w
    Nope, I have never used Pocket MSN, or Hotmail at all. (it is installed, I just never used it pre- and post- update) I have never configured anything in the Pocket MSN App, so I don't think it is trying to access the Net on my 700w.
    Don't underestimate the will of MS to integrate their products into things, though...
    Sorry for all the postings in a row on this topic. But I think I might have found a solution.

As discussed above, my theory was that after the update, Pocket MSN was what was trying to re-connect to the EVDO broadband connection, as evidenced by messages I would receive from that application when the connection was broken by a voice call. As also mentioned, Pocket MSN offers precious little in terms of options for customization.

What I did was to go here:

Start>Programs>Pocket MSN>Options

I then went to the Switch User tab along the bottom. I hit Switch User and was told that this would sign me out of Pocket MSN so another user could sign on. I did so. Closed all the running apps out of my memory, then went back to Pocket MSN. Re-signed in. Since then, nothing has tried to connect via the broadband connection.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed...
    Global Posts
    445 Global Posts

After an overnight charge, by 11pm my charge is around 5% left since the update- and this is using a Seido 2400 mAh Extended battery!

Before the update, I usually got around 30-33% remaining battery life by the end of the day with identical use.

I wonder if another program that autoaccesses the net frequently (like PocketWeather or Newsbreak) is causing more battery drain. You have way more emails pushed to you than I do (only about 10-15/day), and I only stream music for about 20min each day (in the car).
    I tried decreasing the frequency interval that PocketWeather checks current weather (from 15min to 1hr) and also NewsBreak, and now my Battery life today has been much improved (I have 30% left today compared to about 5% from previous days), with similar use.
    Here are my personal observations:

I did the update a few days ago but did not setup push or anything different than normal. I had just performed a hard reset the day before due to MemMaid messing a few things up.

For the next couple of days, battery life was excellent. It was as good or better than before the update; I didn't really do any benchmarks, mind you.

Yesterday I set up push with mail2web. I have noticed a bit of a drain on the battery. It isn't extreme like some of the others have posted, but it is definitely draining faster.

I am in a 1x area. I've noticed that since I setup push that my data connection stays active a lot more. I would like to make it go inactive quicker, but don't know if that is possible.

Anyway, my guess is that the data connection staying persistent after setting up the push may be the reason for the faster battery drain.
    Quote Originally Posted by djp24
    I updated my Treo 700w two nights ago. I took the device off the charger yesterday and today at approx. 7AM. Yesterday the battery died around 4PM. Today there is only at 30% left, so far and its only 2:25PM.

This seems to be caused by Outlook email. I use Gmail and I have the messaging program set to check for messages every 30 minutes. However, since the update, my connection is always on, and it checks for email continuously, seemingly ignoring my setting to check every 30 minutes.

I get messages almost instantly, which is nice, but needless to say, my battery is being severely drained by this situation.

Any ideas on how to fix this?
    I have experienced the exact same problems listed in the threads above. I can have a 100% battery at 5:00PM, and it will be at 25% by 7:00AM the next day. This is with BT turned off. I called Verizon, then we called Palm to discuss. The tech made the following comments:

The battery drain is being discussed at Palm in the tech ranks as we speak. The problem appears to be due to the fact that the EVDO radio is now always on (a feature, not a bug). The only way to turn the EVDO radio off is to put the phone into standby mode (thus not receiving any messages). This makes sense, because if I would have my BT radio always on and connected to a device, I would experience similar battery drain.

You cannot go back to the previous OS build and are apparently stuck with the battery drain at this time ... have a nice day!
    I had a really long post ready to go, but a lot of it has been said already, so here's the short version.

I was having terrible battery life - 12 hours to drain from full charge to 40%. I use an Exchange server Push to sync my calendar, e-mail and tasks. The log files (on the Treo, in \Windows\ActiveSync\Ping Exchange Server0 - 3) were showing that the Treo was opening a connection to the Exchange server every 5 miuntes. This consumes a LOT of power.

I read a TechNet whitepaper here http://blogs.technet.com/exchange/ar...03/424028.aspx that has a lot of background info. The main thing is that the Treo should be able to maintain an (idle) connection to the server for at lease 15 - 30 minutes. The idle connection consumes little power.

Two things have changed:
    1. My firewall guy made a software update that he swears could not have changed the timeout for the idle connection.
    2. The network folks upgraded a Domain Controller to Windows Server 2003.

Last night my Treo got down to 68% charge after about 14 hours. That's not as good as before the upgrade, but is a marked improvement. The log files show that the connections to the server were re-initiated at about 45 minute intervals.

Since no one here thinks the network changes made any difference, the only other thing I have to go on is that the white paper says thet the Treo and the Exchange server "negotiate" a heartbeat interval over time. Possibly over the three days since I upgraded the Treo, the interval has gradually incraased from 5 minutes to 45.

Has anybody had a similar experience?

Walt
    My battery life has always sucked... Unfortunately, in my line of work, i must always have my bluetooth headset on and ready for a call. If you think your battery life is bad without bluetooth on, try it WITH bluetooth on. Thankfully i'm at a desk most of the day and I can leave my Treo on the cradle. I could never make it a whole day with PUSH and bluetooth steadily going. Something that hit me earlier today for those of you that think PUSH is causing your battery life to fall short. I noticed that PUSH syncs all folders, even the 'SENT' folder. I send dozens of email, perhaps over 150 a day sometimes. Apparently everytime I send an email its causing the TREO to connect and sync. Im going to try deselecting the SENT folder for a couple days and see how that works out. Ultimately, i think i'll have to buy an extra battery or perhaps the extended battery.
    Global Posts
    445 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DJRoppolo
    My battery life has always sucked... Unfortunately, in my line of work, i must always have my bluetooth headset on and ready for a call. If you think your battery life is bad without bluetooth on, try it WITH bluetooth on. Thankfully i'm at a desk most of the day and I can leave my Treo on the cradle. I could never make it a whole day with PUSH and bluetooth steadily going. Something that hit me earlier today for those of you that think PUSH is causing your battery life to fall short. I noticed that PUSH syncs all folders, even the 'SENT' folder. I send dozens of email, perhaps over 150 a day sometimes. Apparently everytime I send an email its causing the TREO to connect and sync. Im going to try deselecting the SENT folder for a couple days and see how that works out. Ultimately, i think i'll have to buy an extra battery or perhaps the extended battery.
    I totally agree with you about the BT drain.
    I USED to have BT always ON prior to the update. Now, I can't afford to keep it on (after update) because my battery gets dangerously low by the end of the day (even when using Seido 2400 mAh extended batt).
    for what it's worth, my battery life has decreased significantly after the update. I have turned off push and removed all pop3/imap4 accounts.

hasn't made any difference.

made the AS schedule check every 30 minutes. (had it at 10 minutes before the update) can't believe the overall drain. I can no longer make it 24 hours without a dead device.

when I had "push" turned on, it was even worse. no idea what is draining it. the As is 30 min as above and I might make/take 12 calls in the day. not happy about battery situation post update.
    Global Posts
    445 Global Posts
    A few things I did to conserve battery juice was: (in addition to keeping very low brightness)
    -turn off Bluetooth
    -Only update PocketWeather forcasts once an hour or longer
    -Turn off Newsbreak autoupdates, and changed to manual updates.

Otherwise by 700w would be dead in about 12-14 hours.
    Global Posts
    445 Global Posts
    Does anyone else notice that after a soft reset, the battery life goes up...a LOT?
    I had 11% left, then did a soft reset...and now I have 37%!
    In addition to the memory leak, is there also a 'battery leak'?
    I was not having the Battery drain problem for a week after the upgrade, but now I will be at 85% an hour after removing the phone from the charger. It was fine for a week, but now I will be dead before the end of the day. I am not a heavy user. 5 Phone calls and 30 emails a day should not kill the battery like this. I even bought the Seidio extended battery, still dies quick.
    Not sure why so many are having diffuculty with battery life. This is my experience from this weekend.

I do NOT use PUSH email or blue tooth.

I fully charged the battery overnight Friday night.

Saturday 6:00 AM - 9 minute phone call
    Saturday 6:30 AM - 8:20 AM - Listened to MP3 through Automobile Speakers
    Saturday 8:30 AM - 5 minute call
    Saturday 8:45 AM to 9 AM - Check email v via web mail

Saturday Noon - 5 minute call

Saturday 3 PM - 3:15pm Check email

Saturday 7 Pm - 7:30 Phone calls

Saturday 9 Pm to 9 :10 Phone Call

Sunday 7:20 Am - 7:27 AM Phone Call

Sunday 7:30 - 7:50 email

Sunday 8 AM to 8:10 Excel

Sunday 12:30 - 12:48 Phone calls

Sunday 2:30 - 3: pm Excel

Sunday 3 PM to 5:30 PM MP3

Sunday 8:05 to 8:33 PM Phone calls

Check remaining power - 68%

Not too bad for me.
    Ok i just got off the phone with verizon AND palm....the fix to this battery drain that was being caused by the polling of emails every 30-60 secionds IS an ACTIVE SYNC issue.....AND its the same issue we had with the powering on bug....the solution is the same thing.....do the fix for active sync that you did for the power on issue.....then you can goahead and set your pop3 accounts back to whatever setting and time to poll you like.....this will aid in the battery issue.....also the guy from palm said that the treo 700w should get around 8hrs a day per battery depending on use...but this is the average user he stated....hope this helps you out
    Quote Originally Posted by happypappy
    .....also the guy from palm said that the treo 700w should get around 8hrs a day per battery depending on use...but this is the average user he stated....hope this helps you out
    From Palms website.

Talk time: up to 4.7 hours
    Standby time: up to 15 days

Does talk time include email usage? I take maye 3 calls per day, lasting about 4 minutes each. I get about 30 emails a day other than that, it is in "Standby"
    Quote Originally Posted by happypappy
    Ok i just got off the phone with verizon AND palm....the fix to this battery drain that was being caused by the polling of emails every 30-60 secionds IS an ACTIVE SYNC issue.....AND its the same issue we had with the powering on bug....the solution is the same thing.....do the fix for active sync that you did for the power on issue.....then you can goahead and set your pop3 accounts back to whatever setting and time to poll you like.....this will aid in the battery issue.....also the guy from palm said that the treo 700w should get around 8hrs a day per battery depending on use...but this is the average user he stated....hope this helps you out
    I assume you mean the active sync fix where you create a dummy exchange server partership so you can change the scheduling to manual and then delete the dummy partership. Is that the one? I'll give it a shot. Thx
    Global Posts
    445 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hannip
    I assume you mean the active sync fix where you create a dummy exchange server partership so you can change the scheduling to manual and then delete the dummy partership. Is that the one? I'll give it a shot. Thx
    You can't do this fix above if you are already using an exchange server for push email right?
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast