Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Global Posts
    271 Global Posts
    Skipster,

The only item that comes to mind is that Palm told our Verizon rep the update issues were "device" specific... Not sure what that means exactly but obviously not ALL devices had issues..

I just checked mine .. and as I stated above I unplugged from the charger at 6am and right now at 6:33pm the battery is at 71%.

That is with probably 100 emails incoming and 10 or so sent, plus some web surfing etc...

Perhaps we can identify the issue with when you acquired your device ???? I dunno... Palm doesnt seem to be sharing that information unfortunately. My device is brand new... acquired last Friday.. fwiw...

I did notice that my device is NOT continuously receiving data .. that means the little swirly arrows under the 1X are greyed out (means connected but not actively transmitting or receiving).. only when an email is incoming or sending do the swirly arrows turn black (i.e. active connection).

Did your *228 work ok etc.. ??? Did you do a soft reset immediately following the update ?

Dunno. just fishing with those last two questions.. hopefully Palm will provide some addtional information on who/what was affected etc....

Oh.. I will tell you that I could not run the update via "Setup.exe" as it errored out with the .msi "file name is incorrect".. I had to run the .msi file directly....
    I had to hard-reset prior to being able to connect to AS to load the update.

Also had to run the MSI file.

The *228 seemed to work OK. I'll rerun that now.

To get around these issues, I've disabled (I think) push by setting As to sync every 10 minutes. So far so good.

Battery-wise, I took it off the charger at 7:30 this morning at 100%, I have had it on and off the car cable all day, and am now at 30%.

Like some others I'll use push when I need it and only then. I'm glad I bought a spare battery, however.

I may redo the update when the new version comes out, just to see if it helps...

I believe I jinxed myself by telling a friend that I was happy with the battery life on this box just the day before the update.
    I must say, though, that on the plus side I am happy about switching the AS connection back to USB-serial (USMSWITCH). This allows me to connect FINALLY via AS on my laptop.

Also happy about the GAL functionality being native to Poutlook.

Memory seems OK, as well...

MS giveth, MS taketh away.....
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by krohnfeldt
    Blile, there should be no 'Next' involved. I was not referring to the email setup wizard.

1) From the Today screen, select Messaging.
    2) Navigate to your email account via the left/right buttons.
    3) Select Menu->Delivery Preferences.
    4) Make sure you are on the Auto Sync tab.
    5) Enter 0 minutes and clear the checkbox (might have to check, enter, uncheck).
    6) Click the OK icon or button.

You will need to do this for each account (except MMS, Text, Outlook). It seems that having a non-zero value in any of them causes the polling to occur.

Thanks for the tip. It did the trick.
    Global Posts
    271 Global Posts
    Skipster,

WOW ! that is a huge difference between your device and mine AFA battery utilization .. I just checked mine.. been unplugged from the charger for 14 hours and sitting at 66%. Are you in an EVDO area or 1X ?

I'm wondering if maybe just removing the ActiveSync config altogether and recreating it might help....(i.e. delete Exchange config)

Are you seeing it with a constant active connection (swirly arrows bold black) or is it in connected but inactive mostly (swirly arrows greyed) ?

Do you have the "as items arrive" set for roaming also ? ( I do not....fwiw)

I have a feeling this is not an MS issue btw.. but rather in Palm's court Either way.. it is very interesting... to me anyway LOL...

Are you using a corporate Exchange server ? Firewall involved ? (I'm thinking SSL timeouts might be an issue here). Or using a hosted service ?

Sorry for all the questions... but I'm sure I'll see this issue soon enough and information is power at this point...
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    Anyone notice that the battery indicator always seems like it has more power than the percentage reading when you tap on the icon?

My battery meter looks like 90% full, but when I tap on the battery, the reading comes out to 66% or so? Anyone else notice this? Which reading should I believe?
    Quote Originally Posted by krohnfeldt
    Blile, there should be no 'Next' involved. I was not referring to the email setup wizard.

5) Enter 0 minutes and clear the checkbox (might have to check, enter, uncheck).

You will need to do this for each account (except MMS, Text, Outlook). It seems that having a non-zero value in any of them causes the polling to occur.
    This was the best advice I got, thank you. So far, so good - no connection to the network and no constant "on" connections. Thanks.
    Having the same issue, However prior to the update I always kept the internet connection active all day long when I get home at the end of the day I have about 50% power left, Now since the update Internet connection is still always on like before but I have about 29% battery left don't get me wrong I'll still take this over what I was using before for email purposes but if anybody comes up with a solution please share. (Bigger battery If they make it?) Or I guess I can just charge it all day at work Like everybody else does with their blackberrys... hm.....
    Global Posts
    271 Global Posts
    Or I guess I can just charge it all day at work Like everybody else does with their blackberrys.
    LOL ! My Blackberry literally goes for DAYS without a charge..... Especially if you set it to automagically turn off at night...

I dont think WM5 has anything on RIM in that respect .... yet !
    HEH!
    I was thinking how great it was - my Treo went from Thursday afternoon to Monday morning and still had a 60% charge - and I got all my e-mail etc. over the weekend!

Then on Monday I installed the upgrade. Monday at 5:00 PM I had a full charge. Tuesday at 7:00 AM it was 48% :-(

Now, having read tech postings all morning, I will change a few things and report back tomorrow. I know I'm being unscientific by changing more than one factor at the time, but I don't have time for that right now :-D

Walt
    Originally Posted by krohnfeldt
    "Blile, there should be no 'Next' involved. I was not referring to the email setup wizard.

You will need to do this for each account (except MMS, Text, Outlook). It seems that having a non-zero value in any of them causes the polling to occur."

When I get to step #3 there is no option for Delivery Preferences.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    We have a bunch of BB's where I work.. i notice that the GSM versions have great battery times but the CDMA ones are much worse...people who "upgraded" to the CDMA versions complain about their battery times since they were used to the GSM versions (we are switching all our plans to VZW from TMO).
    Global Posts
    882 Global Posts
    Well I took mine off the charger and 7 am and I have 75% left and it's almost 3pm
    Global Posts
    445 Global Posts
    It looks like people are getting both better and worse battery life after the update-
    it appears that people who are using Push are getting worse battery life (including me), compared to those who don't use the Push function
    TRGpro --> Handera 330 --> SideKick I --> HP iPAQ H4355 (stolen) --> Navman PiN --> Treo 700w
    Global Posts
    271 Global Posts
    Plasmo,

I dont know what battery life was like before the update.. since I got this treo on Friday (day after updater release).. but ALL I use right now is PUSH .. and I took mine off charger at 6am this morning.. it is now 9:59pm and the battery is at 70%.

I did not surf the web on it at all today.. but probably received 100 or so emails and replied to 10 or so.. fwiw

I am currently not using auto check on pocket MSN...I'm checking it manually fwiw.. and I am in a 1X area not EVDO.

I just thought I would post this in case someone is keeping count LOL!
    Global Posts
    445 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WayCool
    I dont know what battery life was like before the update.. since I got this treo on Friday (day after updater release).. but ALL I use right now is PUSH .. and I took mine off charger at 6am this morning.. it is now 9:59pm and the battery is at 70%.
    Wow. That is great battery life.

After an overnight charge, by 11pm my charge is around 5% left since the update- and this is using a Seido 2400 mAh Extended battery!

Before the update, I usually got around 30-33% remaining battery life by the end of the day with identical use.

I wonder if another program that autoaccesses the net frequently (like PocketWeather or Newsbreak) is causing more battery drain. You have way more emails pushed to you than I do (only about 10-15/day), and I only stream music for about 20min each day (in the car).
    TRGpro --> Handera 330 --> SideKick I --> HP iPAQ H4355 (stolen) --> Navman PiN --> Treo 700w
    Global Posts
    271 Global Posts
    Gex,

We have about 200 BB all on either VZW or Alltel (CDMA)... I can go about 3 days without a charge on my BB. I dont know what kind of battery life the GSM Blackberry's have.. but we are pretty happy with our 7250's and 7130's.

I know this is not a Blackberry forum.. but I honestly prefer the WM5 devices over the BB... but I must have both since I admin our BBES and Exchange...

I dont know if I would let this Treo go three days to see if it was still ticking

YYMV........
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Our GSM BB's can go for over 5 days some almost 7 under normal use.. they are amazing in terms of battery life

Our CDMA BB's go from 2-3 days depending on use as well.

I notice that their backlighting is almost never needed though....backlighting is prob. the bigest drain on battery.
    Global Posts
    271 Global Posts
    Wow gex.. I just turned in a Nextel/Sprint 7250 I was demoing... and it did about the same as our VZW's with respect to battery.. our network here pretty much sucks regardless of carrier.. but the GSM networks are the WORST ! Guess thats what we get living in BFE ! LOL!

The 7130's DO require alot of backlighting very similar to the WM5 devices IMO.... the older 7250 and 7750 not so much.. but then pictures etc.. look terrible on those older devices

I think I had my 700w on from 6am til 11pm yesterday and when I plugged into the charger it was at 70%... so no complaints there...

I do however have complaints about Palm using a proprietary charging cable and USB cable.... why not just use USB 2.0 ... sure would save on headaches !

It seems that some are getting as good or better battery life but many (myself included) are getting far worse battery life. This began directly after my update (which otherwise went perfectly) so there is clear causality.

My guess is that it involves those of us who use Hotmail and/or Pocket MSN. I'd bet that those who have battery drain problems have those services configured. Problem is, there is no way to delete them or turn them off as far as I can tell. For instance, my Hotmail account isn't even listed in the email accoutns screen so I don't have a way of deleting it. And Pocket MSN offers precious little in the way of configurable options.

Bottom line: I'd bet that folks who have the update but not MS products or email services installed don't have near as many battery life issues.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast