1.    #1  
    I asked this before in a unrelated thread, but got only an answer that my simple mind could not understand. So..., in simple terms, what does dialing *22899 do?

Thanks,
    Tom
    I believe it completely reprograms the data portion of the phone. Whenever I had problems switching phones and getting the data to work, CS had me dial that and it fixed it.
    Device: Sprint Touch
    Accessories: Jawbone 2, 6GB Sandisk miniSD
    Editor: www.mobilegadgetnews.com
    Quote Originally Posted by TomBoisseau
    I asked this before in a unrelated thread, but got only an answer that my simple mind could not understand. So..., in simple terms, what does dialing *22899 do?

Thanks,
    Tom
    It's the same as *228, it simply bypasses the prompts.
    It basically updates the network software on your phone to the latest version. It's a CDMA capability. I always do it once a month becuase it adds all of the new towers Verizon puts on their network so your roaming is better.
    Global Posts
    872 Global Posts
    its the same as dialing *228 and then hitting prompt #2
    Quote Originally Posted by gex
    its the same as dialing *228 and then hitting prompt #2
    Actually, it is the same as dialing *228 and then hitting prompt #1. The VZW Store staff use this to program your phone in the store, since all they do is set up your ESN, dial *22899, then put your phone down and go on with the rest of the transaction. No need to wait for a prompt and can check the screen for status.

Hope this helps.
  7.    #7  
    Thanks guys. I thought from my "expermentation" that it was similar to the *288 options, but I just wasn't sure.

So is there any reason for doing a *22899? I assume it's only necessary to do the *288 opt 2 on a regular basis to update roaming, and that would be it?

Tom
    Global Posts
    872 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fafafoooey
    Actually, it is the same as dialing *228 and then hitting prompt #1.
    Really??? I thought it was option 2 that it does!?!? You sure?
    Quote Originally Posted by gex
    Really??? I thought it was option 2 that it does!?!? You sure?
    Yep. When I got my replacement phone, I did *22899 to program the phone once the ESN was updated in VZW's system. You can use this to update roaming as well. Only thing is that the roaming update only does the roaming update, doh. The full program option (option 1 or *22899) just pulls all of the data for programming your phone, including the roaming info.
    Global Posts
    321 Global Posts
    Yes *22899 is the same as dialing *228 and using option 1
    Global Posts
    872 Global Posts
    Ok, cool thanks...they say to do option 2 at least once a month....i think i will stick with just doing that....for some reason i am uncomfortable with reprogramming my phone if it is working fine....just need the tower/roaming updates.
    Is this just for Verizon phoness? How about my Sprint 650?
    Global Posts
    321 Global Posts
    You should never have to use option 1 unless you do an some type of ROM update or Verizon tech support asks you to do it.

And yes this applies to Verizon's network only. I don't know if Sprint has their own update dial strings or not, you need to check with them.
    I was recently trying *228 and kept getting a message saying it couldn't update and I needed to call Verizon. I waited a day instead and tried again but I got the same message so I finally called Verizon. They told me to try *22899 and the update worked.