1.    #1  
    Can someone post their experience with push email and how badly it impacts the battery life on the Treo 700w?

I've heard that with the PPC-6700, the battery would last less than a day with push email turned on.
    i've been using push pretty heavily on the 700w and so far i haven't experienced any noticeable battery problems (meaning i just plug it in at night and it lasts me fine throughout the day)
    Quote Originally Posted by denik
    Can someone post their experience with push email and how badly it impacts the battery life on the Treo 700w?

I've heard that with the PPC-6700, the battery would last less than a day with push email turned on.
    whether i was pushing or getting mail via AUTD my batter wouldnt last past 1pm w/ the 6700 this is the first day w the treo on full push and our webmail was down so the treo was trying very hard to sync and right now i'm at 1/2 i would think that i would have more juice had it not been for the mail server problem.
    www.luxozine.com
    Sport Elegance Delivered
    Can't speak for the 700 but from reading the boards here with the 650, push users seem to wanna charge their Treos each night. CDMA users w/o push can go 4 days, GSM users a week....I charge mine every Friday Night.
    Global Posts
    882 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Can't speak for the 700 but from reading the boards here with the 650, push users seem to wanna charge their Treos each night. CDMA users w/o push can go 4 days, GSM users a week....I charge mine every Friday Night.
    YOur good because I have to charge mine every night.
    I run around 75 to 100 mails a day plus a bunch of calls and all the other crap I do. Took the Treo off the plug at 6am and rite now it's just after 8pm and my Treo shows a little over 1/2 battery... I've never had an issue with it's power.
    big hit on the battery. need to charge it daily.
    In theory, Direct Push should actually *increase* battery life vs. AUTD or frequent polling, since the connection is dormant unless emails are being transferred. Of course, this will depend on how often emails arrive to your Exchange server.

If you used polling previously, and emails ususally arrive more often than the polling interval you were using, you should see a battery life hit. If you were using AUTD or your emails generally arrive less frequently than your previous polling interval, you should see an increase in battery life.

The method that Direct Push uses to keep the device up to date is self-tuning as well, so it will adapt to your usage pattern, meaning that if you get sporadic emails you may see a battery usage hit at first that may get better as the device and Exchange tune your "heartbeat" connection usage.

Experiences on the 650 won't really be applicable, since the 700 with Direct Push uses a different method of receiving change notifications and data from the server.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    This is not specific to the 700w...it applies to all MSFP enables devices:

Note:
    Failing to set the time-out on the firewall to minimum 15 minutes (MS recommends 30 minutes) will among other things result in poor battery life time on the mobile devices as well as increase data transfers over the wire.

Firewall considerations:
    In order to maximize performance as well as provide a better always-up-to-date experience for the end-users, itís highly recommended that you increase the time-out values for HTTPS connections on your firewall. Depending on what type of firewall is used in your organization, this is of course done differently. For steps on how to do so on an ISA Server 2004 firewall see MS KB article 905013, these steps should give you an idea of how you should approach this with another firewall product as well.