Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Anyone else been watching for the release of the Q? So far from what i've read, it seems like a pretty nice piece of equipment to replace the 700w with. The only bad thing i've seen so far is no touch screen, which scares me after using WM5 for awhile. Other than that, it seems like an extreme possibility.
    Quote Originally Posted by DJRoppolo
    Anyone else been watching for the release of the Q? So far from what i've read, it seems like a pretty nice piece of equipment to replace the 700w with. The only bad thing i've seen so far is no touch screen, which scares me after using WM5 for awhile. Other than that, it seems like an extreme possibility.
    I hate Smartphones. But at the same time having 64MB of RAM, built in WiFi AND the full 320x240 screen is a killer change and allows you to use far more applications than the Treo 700w currently supports. Hard to say but I like it.
    The Q has no wifi.
    Surur
    There has been discussion on this topic already on this and other forums. SEARCH!!!

Q is a WM for Smartphone, 700w is WM for PocketPC, the two are very different in terms of OS capabilites, bundled apps, available apps, CPU, and on and on an on.

Apples and oranges.

The Smartphone OS was never designed with touch screen support.

The PIE on a Smartphone also has more limitations than the PIE on PPC.

The Q is thin like a Razar which means limited battery life.

I currently carry a Cingular (HTC) 2125 Smartphone, very similar to the Q in terms of capabilities (as you can see in my sig, I also have the Nextel i930), they don't come close to PPC in terms of features.

Advantage Smartphone: better (since it is the only option) button-based navigation and size.

Clearly, SPs are better phones while PPCs are better PDAs.
    -------Current Devices--------
    Nextel: Motorola i930, i880
    Sprint: AirPrime CDMA PCMCIA, Samsung A900M, M610, Sanyo 8400, DLX
    Cingular: SE S710a, Treo 650 Unlocked, 3125 "Startrek", Blackjack, Sync
    Verizon: Samsung SCH-i730 WM PPC, Treo 700w WM5 PPC, Sierra EVDO PCMCIA, Black Q

BT headsets: Jabra BT110, 500, JX10 II, 350V; Motorola H700, H300, H605; Palm Treo; Plantronics Voyger 510, 640e, 650e; BlueAnt X3 Micro

A2DP: Mot S9, HS820; Jabra BT8010
    Personally, I'm not so sure I can ever go back to a device without a touchscreen. It's just so intuitive.
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
    Keep the 700w, you'll get watered down WM5 with the Q.

The 2125 is cool though! But I love the full WM5 better!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    LT, are you following me around? Hahaha

Personally, I'd rather have an 8125 than a Q or 700W. That's just me though.
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by snovvman
    There has been discussion on this topic already on this and other forums. SEARCH!!!
    Perhaps you should do some re-SEARCH and realize you cant SEARCH for the letter Q here, einstein.
    Before the 700w was released, I was looking around for info on how the 2 versions of WM5 compared. I think what's critical is determining your own usage habits and needs. The 700w is probably the best full fldged WM5 device for one-handed operation. However, any SP version will improve upon that as it has been optimized for use without a touchscreen. As an example one nice feature on the Q is the jog dial. The downside is the lack of input methods due to the absent touchscreen feature. It may take some thought, but if you consider all the various apps you use and may use in the future, that could be a big feature to live without. You'll be getting a more standard resolution but then be hamstringed by app designers who haven't optimized for SP use in their WM5 apps. They may be usable, but perhaps a lot more of a hassle. That is, again, up to you and your usage habits.

One other thing if I'm remembering correctly, the SP version doesn't include pocket versions of Word and Excel that you can use to create and edit those documents (I think there may is a viewer) probably because they would be hard to use without a touchscreen. I could be worng there but I think that is the case.

Jeff
    Perhaps you should do some re-SEARCH and realize you cant SEARCH for the letter Q here, einstein.
    You make me laugh Einstein? hehe.

Ever tried "motorola q" (in quotes)

Einstein... ha ha ha. Just stop it

I guess more search and oh--"re-SEARCH" for you!
    -------Current Devices--------
    Nextel: Motorola i930, i880
    Sprint: AirPrime CDMA PCMCIA, Samsung A900M, M610, Sanyo 8400, DLX
    Cingular: SE S710a, Treo 650 Unlocked, 3125 "Startrek", Blackjack, Sync
    Verizon: Samsung SCH-i730 WM PPC, Treo 700w WM5 PPC, Sierra EVDO PCMCIA, Black Q

BT headsets: Jabra BT110, 500, JX10 II, 350V; Motorola H700, H300, H605; Palm Treo; Plantronics Voyger 510, 640e, 650e; BlueAnt X3 Micro

A2DP: Mot S9, HS820; Jabra BT8010
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by ShannonElements
    Personally, I'm not so sure I can ever go back to a device without a touchscreen. It's just so intuitive.
    I totally understand... i spent an entire day seeing just how much I used the touchscreen on my 700w and I don't believe i'll be able to switch to non-touch screen at this point.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    I like the form factor, but the lack of a touch-screen and perhaps poor talk & standby times broke the deal for me.
    For me. absolutely no way! I could never go from PPC to SP OS. Also keep in mind that the Q will have the same lack of software support that Square Screen devices did until recently. The Q is the first SP to use the rectangle sideways layout and SP software was not written to support it. Also MS only recently released the emulators for developers to update software to that format.

I am sticking with the 700w for a while
    i dont understand how people can switch phones every couple of months maybe its jus me but im not a big fan of throwing money in the first "cool breeze" that passes by
    Got Treo?
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    The Q has no wifi.
    Surur
    Really... cross that one off....
    Global Posts
    131 Global Posts
    I can't wait to switch...
    Quote Originally Posted by treoshmeo
    the full 320x240 screen is a killer change and allows you to use far more applications than the Treo 700w currently supports.
    Totally incorrect. The Q, being a Smartphone will support dramatically fewer applications than the Treo (A PPC phone).
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    battery life should be decent with the Q as the smartphone edition of WM5 is more efficient in that area... i would say equal or greater than the 700w...
    Quote Originally Posted by racekarl
    Totally incorrect. The Q, being a Smartphone will support dramatically fewer applications than the Treo (A PPC phone).
    Add to that the even smaller number of programs supporting the Smartphone 320x240 screen and I think you might be further disappointed.
    I get bored with phones VERY quickly & burn through them just as fast. I'll probably move over to the Q when it comes out (when it that, by the way?). I'll enjoy that for awhile, and then wait for the next big thing to come.

Some of you crack me up - getting all philosophical about how & why you will or won't like a particular device that you've never even tried or seen in person yet, for that matter. I essentially just try them all and make decisions for myself.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast