Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 611121314151617 LastLast
    Ok, I just finished reading through all 15 pages and still can't seem to find the answer to my question. First a few notes, seeing I have only had the phone for about a month...

1. I love the phone because it helps me with my calendar and all the other features are just bonuses; I work in 3 branches and have 38 people who need my assistance.

2. The update worked fine for me, the download and install were no problems

3. I noticed alot of questions about the deleting of the temp files, and my experience was that it took me about 45-50 minutes before all of them deleted; my guess is if you had the phone longer, you'll have more tmp files and takes longer to delete.

4. After the update I do notice that the battery is draining a lot quicker, again I don't have much to compare it too, but, I do see that it has drained awfully fast.

>>>>>MY Question!<<<<<

My big issue with this update is the push email technology. There has been alot of talk in these threads about the push email and how it doesn't work with gmail, or it only works with Exchange. My company does not use Exchange, so I don't have any questions about that; my question is why do I get all my pop3/hotmail emails automatically now?!

My Connectivity/Wireless is ALWAYS connected. I would like to stop this, I think this is why my battery is draining so much quicker now. I also want to know if anyone knows how to disable the pop3/hotmail emails from checking and downloading to my phone. I liked it the old way where I would initiate the send/receive. I don't need these emails all the time and it is very annoying that at 3am in the morning my phone will vibrate that I have a new gmail.

In my Hotmail/Pop3 Delivery Preferences I have turned off the option to connect and check for messages every xx minutes but yet, I still get notified. I assume that the connectivity being on all the time is the reason why I get the Hotmail/Pop3 emails constantly. How can I get it back to the old way prior to the update! (without downgrading)

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by byt0r
    Ok, I just finished reading through all 15 pages and still can't seem to find the answer to my question. First a few notes, seeing I have only had the phone for about a month...

1. I love the phone because it helps me with my calendar and all the other features are just bonuses; I work in 3 branches and have 38 people who need my assistance.

2. The update worked fine for me, the download and install were no problems

3. I noticed alot of questions about the deleting of the temp files, and my experience was that it took me about 45-50 minutes before all of them deleted; my guess is if you had the phone longer, you'll have more tmp files and takes longer to delete.

4. After the update I do notice that the battery is draining a lot quicker, again I don't have much to compare it too, but, I do see that it has drained awfully fast.

>>>>>MY Question!<<<<<

My big issue with this update is the push email technology. There has been alot of talk in these threads about the push email and how it doesn't work with gmail, or it only works with Exchange. My company does not use Exchange, so I don't have any questions about that; my question is why do I get all my pop3/hotmail emails automatically now?!

My Connectivity/Wireless is ALWAYS connected. I would like to stop this, I think this is why my battery is draining so much quicker now. I also want to know if anyone knows how to disable the pop3/hotmail emails from checking and downloading to my phone. I liked it the old way where I would initiate the send/receive. I don't need these emails all the time and it is very annoying that at 3am in the morning my phone will vibrate that I have a new gmail.

In my Hotmail/Pop3 Delivery Preferences I have turned off the option to connect and check for messages every xx minutes but yet, I still get notified. I assume that the connectivity being on all the time is the reason why I get the Hotmail/Pop3 emails constantly. How can I get it back to the old way prior to the update! (without downgrading)

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!!!

There are two places to check to ensure the phone is not set to update email automatically every X minutes. The first is under Menu, Delivery Preferences in each account you have set-up within Messaging. Make sure the "Connect and check for messages every..." box is unchecked. The second is under Menu, Tools, Options and then select each account you have established and go through the set-up pages again. When you get to page 4, select Options and make sure the "Connect and check for messages every.." box is also unchecked. This should solve your problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by enagel
    There are two places to check to ensure the phone is not set to update email automatically every X minutes. The first is under Menu, Delivery Preferences in each account you have set-up within Messaging. Make sure the "Connect and check for messages every..." box is unchecked. The second is under Menu, Tools, Options and then select each account you have established and go through the set-up pages again. When you get to page 4, select Options and make sure the "Connect and check for messages every.." box is also unchecked. This should solve your problem.
    Ok, thanks, I found that in my gmail options - also within my pocket MSN I was able to disable it for my hotmail. Thanks again....

With this update does this mean that my Broadband connection will always be on? Again, I think this is why my battery is dying so quickly.
    POP mail has push email too ?

does your mail host has to be Exchange server to take advantage of push email ?

our company only provides POP server.

k.
    Can someone check to see if the network Home/Automatic A/Automatic B problem has been addressed?

After a soft reset or turning on/off flight mode does the phone revert back to the home mode or will it maintain the automatic A or automatic B network setting?
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by littlewaywelt
    Can someone check to see if the network Home/Automatic A/Automatic B problem has been addressed?

After a soft reset or turning on/off flight mode does the phone revert back to the home mode or will it maintain the automatic A or automatic B network setting?

Mine doesnt revert back to home. Mine is auto B and with hard resets, flight mode on/off, soft resets it stays on B.
    Any Official Word on why the update was taken down?
    Thanks. This was a huge annoyance for me. I'm glad to see they've addressed it.
    The auto A, auto B, Home issue is still not fixed. Upon soft reset of the device, the network defaults to Home.
    Quote Originally Posted by jlukar
    POP mail has push email too ?

does your mail host has to be Exchange server to take advantage of push email ?

our company only provides POP server.

k.

Yes, an Exchange Server (2003 w/ SP2) is needed for psuh mail.
    A few days after doing this update, I can report:
    - battery life is fine...same as before
    - I have recaptured some of the "leaked" memory
    - Cosmetic changes are generally good.

Still, the same issues persist as before: namely sluggish performance, the need to do a soft reset every other day just to "refresh" it, and inexplicable lapses in being able to answer calls if, heaven forbid, I'm doing something else on the phone at the same time.
    Quote Originally Posted by scubasteve700w
    I attempted the 1.10 to 1.11/1.20 change in the vers file in Notepad, but it still isn't working. I've searched through the thread and haven't seen any other suggestions. Does anyone else have any other solutions (other than calling for a new phone from Verizon)??

Thanks very much in advance!!

Be sure you edit the VERS file located in:

C:\Program Files\Palm\Treo700wUpdater

I tried and failed several times, until I realized that I was editing the VERS file in the install directory and not the installed version. Works fine after that.

- K
    Global Posts
    271 Global Posts
    Talked to verizon rep today ... they pulled the update due to download and install issues with specific devices (Palm information) and the update should be available later today.

They did say if you updated.. then you are good to go and no further action is necessary.. hmmmmm.......
    Quote Originally Posted by Geckotek
    Don't have much patience for people asking obvious questions they could easily answer on their own if they even tried. Outside of that, you're right...I'm very friendly.
    I appreciate that. One thing to consider though is that what may be obvious to you might not be to everyone. Other than that, yes, I am lazy. :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by KUpchurch
    Be sure you edit the VERS file located in:

C:\Program Files\Palm\Treo700wUpdater

I tried and failed several times, until I realized that I was editing the VERS file in the install directory and not the installed version. Works fine after that.

- K
    I can't thank you enough!!! It worked!!! You have seriously talked me off the edge!!!
    Ok. I have done the update and things seem to be working better with regard to the memory leak and having to do a reboot every day. However, I work in a 1xRTT area and getting my phone calls is more important to me than getting my email within 3o seconds of its arrival. So therefore I ahve been using Readysync with the timer set to 30 minute intervals. Since the update no matter what I set the Readysync timer to the Treo is updating every 15 minutes. While the frequent updates for email are nice I would like to be able to control the update timer again. Any ideas. Anyone else notice this problem?
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    this device sucks my D****og.....but i still love it....btw..when is the g-darn update going to be back up????
    Quote Originally Posted by seegeethree
    Ok. I have done the update and things seem to be working better with regard to the memory leak and having to do a reboot every day. However, I work in a 1xRTT area and getting my phone calls is more important to me than getting my email within 3o seconds of its arrival. So therefore I ahve been using Readysync with the timer set to 30 minute intervals. Since the update no matter what I set the Readysync timer to the Treo is updating every 15 minutes. While the frequent updates for email are nice I would like to be able to control the update timer again. Any ideas. Anyone else notice this problem?
    Yes, I'm in the same boat as you! My broadband connection constantly stays on and even though I have disabled automatic updates for my hotmail account, I still receive the emails. It seems like there is some other option that I can't find, I wonder if Palm/Verizon/Microsoft has noticed this. The one thing that did work is that in my post above I was also getting all my gmails, but, I was able to stop that from working. I think this is why my battery is draining so quickly now; the phone seems to constantly trying to access the internet and is draining the battery so quick! I'm starting to get frustrated 'cause at 4am last night I was woken up by some spam email sent to my hotmail account!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by byt0r
    Yes, I'm in the same boat as you! My broadband connection constantly stays on and even though I have disabled automatic updates for my hotmail account, I still receive the emails. It seems like there is some other option that I can't find, I wonder if Palm/Verizon/Microsoft has noticed this. The one thing that did work is that in my post above I was also getting all my gmails, but, I was able to stop that from working. I think this is why my battery is draining so quickly now; the phone seems to constantly trying to access the internet and is draining the battery so quick! I'm starting to get frustrated 'cause at 4am last night I was woken up by some spam email sent to my hotmail account!!!!

Well just as an experiment today I turned off Push and Readysync. So theoretically the phone should have no reason to have an active connection unless I triggered it manually. It still connected to the internet and stayed on most of the day with a dormant connection. There appears to be no way to control the phones internet behavior after the update. Am I missing something or is this a bug with the update?
    Quote Originally Posted by enagel
    I'm having the same issue after the update; the always-on connection is sucking the very battery life out of my beloved 700w.

I've tried to follow the above instructions and have run into problems. The first box was already unchecked, so the delivery preferences option apparently has no control over things. Secondly, when I view a list of my accounts, my Hotmail one doesn't appear there so I am not able go through the set-up pages to modify it. I suspect it has something to do with Hotmail being considered more of a built-in account with Pocket MSN.

Any other ideas? The battery drain is just too much...