1.    #1  
    Hi,

I was curious how push works, if I am in a 1xrtt area or edvo area, how does the push work if I am not connected to the internet? Say I am on the phone, or just not using the browser. I am usually in a 1xRtt zone & I stay offline most of the time. How would that work if your phone has service but your not using the internet?

Does push only work if your online (hence the scheduling sync?)

Thanks,
    Rich
    that is a good question, because if you're in 1x having a connection to the server would bump your inbound calls to vm...someone splain please
    www.luxozine.com
    Sport Elegance Delivered
  3.    #3  
    Even more, if your not connected, my 1x looks disconnected when the arrows are greyed out (plus i can get phone calls), if your not connected, how does it know new emails came in (not connected to the internet).
  4.    #4  
    Btt
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    when the arrows are grayed out it is in dormant mode...calls will come through...if you are in a 1xRTT areas and the arrows are not grayed out (solid white...in other words data is being sent or received) calls will go to VM.

Calls come through no matter what in EVDO area.

Grayed out arrows mean that there is no data being transmitted but the connection is still up and running... hope this helps..
  6.    #6  
    Ahh, so while it is gray, there is a connection but it isnt being used. For push that dormant connection can still get a notification to turn itself on to get a push email.

Does that sound right?
    Quote Originally Posted by RichKlein
    Ahh, so while it is gray, there is a connection but it isnt being used. For push that dormant connection can still get a notification to turn itself on to get a push email.

Does that sound right?
    Yes that is correct. While the arrows are gray your data connection is 'inactive', but still connected. When your server receives an email, it pushes it directly to your device, and your data connection will go 'active'(meaning that data is actively being transmitted) and you'll have new email.

The only problem is that your phone/email client has to occasionally send a 'keep alive' signal to the server so that your data connection isn't disconnected completely(thus losing the push functionality). I use FastMail, and my data connection only goes active(as in data is being transmitted) about once every 6 minutes or so, and it only stays active for a matter of seconds, so there isn't much of a hit to battery life, nor is there a problem with calls going straight to voicemail.
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?