Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I posted a few weeks ago saying that the Treo worked much better without the 3rd party apps. Well I spoke too soon. Two weeks later and this stupid piece of shi# went back to its old tricks of locking up, screen going blank and all the normal problems you would expect from the biggest piece of crap ever put to market. If you use more than 1000 minutes per month DO NOT BUY THIS PHONE>.I hate this phone with a passion and the second the 700p arrives on the shelf- Adios amigos.
    that boggles the mind that you dont have any apps installed and yet you're getting lock ups. are you saying that your use of the phone contributes to the locking up?
    www.luxozine.com
    Sport Elegance Delivered
    Don't know what you're doing with it, but I haven't had a lock up that I didn't deserve on my 700w. Perhaps you just got a bad apple. As a contributing editor at Pocket PC Thoughts, plus doing software beta testing and programming on my own, I don't seem to have anywhere the issues you're having.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    He's a hater
    Global Posts
    321 Global Posts
    He's got the L stamped on his forehead.
    The "L" stands for lemon and it is stamped on his phone and not his forehead.

I use about 3000 minutes/month (1000 in-network), have scores of apps installed, push email running, and don't get lockups.

If the phone is not lemon, it just went bad. Call VZW and get a replacement and you'll be happy again.
    I have not installed any apps either and I lock up at leaset twice a week. I only run Exchange Activesync and Pocket Outlook. I usually only have 2-3 meg of memory free once I do a soft reset and start these apps.
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    If you only have 2-3MB free after a soft reset with only Activesync connecting to an Exchange server and Messaging running, something is wrong. I also have both of those running right now, not after a soft reset, and have 9MB free RAM.
    Device: Sprint Touch
    Accessories: Jawbone 2, 6GB Sandisk miniSD
    Editor: www.mobilegadgetnews.com
    I must say that I've become mildly disappointed with the phone the more I use it. From the whole DST fiasco, to the phone not answering calls when I hit "Answer" to near-daily soft resets just to get the thing to work half-way decent, this phone is becoming ever more annoying. As an early adopter I expect some of these things to happen but it's still annoying nonetheless. Is WM5 a POS or is it the phone design? Seems like the latter.
  10. SHV
    Hi,

While overall I still 'like' the phone, and would buy it again as arguably the 'best' of what is out there on Verizon (all of my colleagues have flushed their i730's down the toilet, and the few that have the HTC device are lukewarm to them) I tend to agree with rdstoll. The DST/time zone errors finally hit me, as did the refusal to wake up while roaming (due to activesync settings). Combine that with a lot of other little annoyances, and it is a pain. the biggest problem is reliance on the device or trust; when a client can't reach me (lockup) or I miss an important conference call or oversleep (DST/time zone) then the device is indeed affecting productivity.

I will look forward to any issues fixed by the ROM update; I suspect they will fix some issues and not tell us, which would be admitting to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by smeg36
    If you only have 2-3MB free after a soft reset with only Activesync connecting to an Exchange server and Messaging running, something is wrong. I also have both of those running right now, not after a soft reset, and have 9MB free RAM.
    I reset this am and I am now at 3.5mb free.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    There isn't a single day that doesn't go by that doesn't cause me to soft reset AT LEAST 4x/day.

On top of that, when the phone is turned to buzzer only, the calls come in and NO MATTER HOW MANY TIMES I AM STABBING ANSWER, the phone goes to voicemail.

This is truly a not-user-friendly phone.

As a PDA, meh, needs more RAM.
    Quote Originally Posted by shmelty
    Something is wrong with your phone then - or you're not accounting for programs running that take up memory. Are you saying you have no added Today screen apps? Nothing at all in your startup folder? If you answered no to both of those and your memory indications are accurate, then your phone is messed up.

Go to VidyaSmart and check out their Vidya Task Manager. Like Windows task manager, it will show you what's really running on your Treo (not just programs, but all processes) - It will give you some much-needed insight into what's eating up your memory.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe
    Something is wrong with your phone then - or you're not accounting for programs running that take up memory. Are you saying you have no added Today screen apps? Nothing at all in your startup folder? If you answered no to both of those and your memory indications are accurate, then your phone is messed up.

Go to VidyaSmart and check out their Vidya Task Manager. Like Windows task manager, it will show you what's really running on your Treo (not just programs, but all processes) - It will give you some much-needed insight into what's eating up your memory.
    Nothing has been installed, I do not even have a BT head set. I got the phone, set up exchange email and here I am, everyday at 2-3.5mb free. (This is my second 700w, the first one went back to an email issue) If I put the phone in flight mode, my memory goes to 6mb free, but that is useless, as I need the phone.
    I have not reset in 7 days an I have a little over 4MB free... Just to give you a little perspective.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    saying you have 3.5 Mb free is not a good indication of anything. IF Palm is going to provide SO little memory, they should at least have configured the device to be more judicious in how it's used.
    Nothing has been installed, I do not even have a BT head set. I got the phone, set up exchange email and here I am, everyday at 2-3.5mb free. (This is my second 700w, the first one went back to an email issue) If I put the phone in flight mode, my memory goes to 6mb free, but that is useless, as I need the phone.
    How does the Treo handle email......if you have received large amounts of email, I imagine it would put into storage, but does it load them into memory when the email app is opened?
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjsrik
    saying you have 3.5 Mb free is not a good indication of anything. IF Palm is going to provide SO little memory, they should at least have configured the device to be more judicious in how it's used.
    I really want to add GPS to this thing, but I am afraid I will need more than 3.5mb free to run it.
    GPS. Good Luck. I purchased copilot and returned in the SAME day. THe phone can't handle the memory problem - at least thats what I think. Caused Freezing and could not handle a call while GPS active.

As an aside, I soft reset once or twice a day. I can handle this, not a biggie, my only real complaint is I just don't trust the phone. Don't know what will or will not work one day to the next.

I would buy it again, but would NEVER recommend it to anyone.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    the treo SHOULD put it on the storage card, that is UNLESS you use wireless sync (GODAWFUL PROGRAM, NEVER EVER NEVER EVER EVER USE IT!!!!) which literally overrides this setting and tries to store everything to main memory. There are settings in Wireless Sync that "would" allow the application to store to storage card and they are literally greyed out. Even VZW techs have no idea why they're greyed out.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast