Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Ok, so everyone seems to notice how quick the 700w is compared to other phones with better specs such as the 6700.

I think this is the reason:

"NAND has some advantages over NOR, but NOR has other advantages over NAND. NOR is much better to execute code from, and NAND is much better to store data in. The ideal is to have the system code stored in NOR and the user data stored in NAND. That, by the way, is what the Treo 700w did."
    I got this from the Windows Mobile Team Blog entry title What's A "Compaction Thread"? at http://blogs.msdn.com/windowsmobile/...16/552996.aspx

If you dont know what "NOR" and "NAND" are, please read this first. I'm also assuming you know what Persistent Storage is. If not, please read this.
    It does?
    i hate to think how slow the other phones are. on my 700w, i click the start button and it takes 5 long seconds to see the menu. when i launch messaging, it sometimes takes 10-15 seconds to launch.
    Quote Originally Posted by kingsx
    i hate to think how slow the other phones are. on my 700w, i click the start button and it takes 5 long seconds to see the menu. when i launch messaging, it sometimes takes 10-15 seconds to launch.
    Then your phone is hosed and you installed something that is bringing it down. I get an immediate response when I hit the start menu!
    Last edited by Weaweil; 04/17/2006 at 06:34 PM.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Yeah I haven't noticed it being that slow either. Everything boots right up. Haven't needed to do a soft reset either after my first 3 or so weeks of owning it. Who knows how long it'll go sans exploding.
    Quote Originally Posted by kingsx

I have experianced this same delay when hitting the start button, but it only happens the first time after a soft reset - otheriwise it is pretty much immediate. HOWEVER (also the first time after a soft reset) when I access the program menu and scroll all the way down, it may take up to 40 seconds to "populate" the screen with all the program icons.

Tom
    I wonder if this has something to so with programs being on an SD card.
    Quote Originally Posted by gex
    Ok, so everyone seems to notice how quick the 700w is compared to other phones with better specs such as the 6700.

I think this is the reason:

I got this from the Windows Mobile Team Blog entry title What's A "Compaction Thread"? at http://blogs.msdn.com/windowsmobile/...16/552996.aspx

If you dont know what "NOR" and "NAND" are, please read this first. I'm also assuming you know what Persistent Storage is. If not, please read this.
    It also has to do with the screen resolution being smaller than a typical Windows Mobile Pocket PC, makes a big difference.
    Siemens S46 -> Siemens S56 -> Motorola MPx200 -> Moto v600 -> Audiovox SMT5600 -> Treo 650 -> Motorola Q (14 days) -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700w -> Treo 750
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Funny picture seaflipper..

The article: What's A "Compaction Thread"?
    explains a possible cause (general WM5 issue) for some of the slowdowns...

I have to say that my 312MHz Treo 700w feels just as fast in general use if not faster than my Samsung SCH-i730 with a 520MHz processor....but I do see the wait clock more often on the 700w when running CPU intensive operations.
    The reason why it takes so long for icons to appear in your Programs menu or Start Menu, if you decide to put them there, is just that - icons. Unfortunately, many programmers like to create a single, self-contained executable, and the Windows Mobile OS has to search to the end of each file in an .LNK (shortcut file) it finds, just to get to the icon data embedded at the end.

Programs like Skype at 5MB, RealDice's Texas Hold'em at 3.5MB, WorldMate Pro at (i forget), and so on, can make ANY Pocket PC slow to a crawl on the first pass of these icons.

I have devised a solution, though it's not so simple...

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/foru...light=runskype